• Howdy! we're looking for donations to finish custom knowledgebase software for this forum. Please see our Funding drive thread

48V Batteries

Hello All, I've been looking to build my own mid-drive E-bike out of a mountain bike. I was planning on using the bike to ride to work(8 mile round trip) and for some small single trails. I want a 48V system so I have enough power to get up to 30mph and have fun on the trail. The battery seems to be the most expensive component of the bike so it seems like I'll have to build the bike around it. One of the main issues I have found is finding a reasonably priced 48V battery that would be capable of providing roughly 800W-1000W of output power, as this is my desired motor size. I found one battery that would fit my specification but I'm unsure of the vendor. http://www.sun-ebike.com/48v15ah-li-ion-18650-battery-with-case-and-3a-charger_p0028.html the link is for a Sun-Ebike.com 48V15Ah Li-ion battery, it sells for $312USD with free shipping. Has anyone had experience with this vendor before? Are there better deals for battery packs elsewhere? I'm trying to stay on a budget of $900USD for the whole build, in order to spend more there would have to be a significant boost in performance so please keep that in mind with your recommendations. Thank you in advance!

P.S. Any advice on fitting components together would be greatly appreciated!

First give us the link to the motor and controller that you would be using so we can match a battery for it. Hills or flat ? Now a days vendors are proud to tell thecells they use if not ? Generic Chinese blue wrapped cells meant for a flash light. You want the ones made a vape pipe. Quality. .

I'm going to build the bike around the battery, I'm not sure which motor and controller I'm going to get yet. I'll fit those to the specifications of the battery I can afford. I would like to get either a 800W or 1000W motor. Suggestions on those are also welcome!

The pedicab outfit I'm affiliated with uses lithium manganese batteries from Electricrider. The batteries are robust and reliable, and the manufacturer is here in Texas and super obliging about supporting their product. I know you can get a little more capacity for a little less money from Luna Cycles or a Chinese seller, but so far we've had no reason to reconsider our choice of batteries.

Check out Luna cycle a California company. Em3ev has quality batteries in china. Get a over qualified battery for your needs. Do not run a battery at it's limits for long use. Still some kits have 15amp 20amp or 40amp controller this the important question. Which one. 800 or 1,000 watt is just the seller's write up. So that's the question what kit. As this what matters.

Back