• Howdy! we're looking for donations to finish custom knowledgebase software for this forum. Please see our Funding drive thread

500w hub kit into Australia

Ozbloke

1 µW
I understand 250w is the max allowed on the roads in Oz. Has anyone had any problems importing a single 500w hub kit into Oz ? Can you recommend a reliable supplier for a complete regen hub kit/20" wheel including LiFeP04 bat,BMS & charger ?

No you wont have any trouble.
Just received a HS3540+40A controller+48v 20Ah of batteries from Canada no problems
Just import duties to pay if value over $1000

PM Hyena he supplies complete kits hes in NSW ..if you need
some 200watt stickers for your oversize motors PM me i have a heap ;)

KiM

it's not illegal to own or use a bike over 200/250w in Australia. it's only an offence to ride it on public roads and footpaths. So you could be wheeling your obviously multi kilowatt electric bike down the road, but there's not a damn thing anyone can do about it until you get on and turn it on.

Good news, Thanks guys for your replies. I want to make my own ebike so now begins the task of finding a decent kit. A hub motor with regen is what I am chasing.
John

Just wondering why regen is so important to you? Do you realise that regen is quite inefficient. It's only in the order of 5% or so.

I am only just getting into the e concept for a bike due to my interest in LiFeP04 batteries. I am going to carry the bike in my RV for general use when parked up and figured using regen to supplement battery charging when downhill riding would be beneficial ? I am open to any advise on a suitable set up though. I like to tinker so would rather modify a bike rather than buy a complete ebike.
John

With a high powered direct drive hub motor (geared motors have an internal freewheel so they can't be used) the advantage regenerative breaking is just that - breaking. On long downhill slopes you wont cook your breaks.

Back