99 mph at 48 volts

So my buddy picked up a direct drive 48v 500w hub kit off of E-bay and asked me to help him put it on his bike. I installed it all and plugged it all together and it just shuttered. Well ok. I tried different phase wire combos till I found one that spun in the right direction and seemed to have power/didn't make awful noise. Test rode it and it seems to have ok power, always started from a dead stop, but seemed a bit noisy, up to about 3/4 throttle, then just takes off. It felt like it was hitting around 28 - 30 mph (!?). I put a speedometer on it and it is hitting 29 mph on the flats. Checked it out unloaded and with 2 different speedometers and it is spinning off the chart at 99+ mph. Right, er no I mean WRONG.

This is new to me. Phase wire/sensor combos have always worked backwards, stutter around with out spinning, or go forwards. Is there a phase/sensor wire combo that is wrong but stupid fast?

So ya, now I have to try all 36 combinations of the phase/sensor wires. And maybe wire one of my CA's into this system to see the amp draw at low throttle, but seriously, wtf?

DC

Wireless speedometer? Some/most/none of them work right because of interferences. Mine would 99mph sitting at a stop sign.:)

DCMotorworks said:
Is there a phase/sensor wire combo that is wrong but stupid fast?
Probably. I ran into something similar testing a Crystalyte controller on a 2807 9C on CrazyBike2; I think I got like 70MPH+ unloaded, before the speedo magnet came off the wheel and shot off into the room somewhere. :lol: Look back several pages in my CB2 thread and the info should be there; I cant' recall what resolution I had with that.

so it was wrong wiring that time Amberwolf? funny, didn't lose the speedo magnet but a spoke nipple gave up and decided to rattle around inside the rim.

oh ya, not wireless speedometers, neither of them. but ya, i agree 99 mph is totally unbelievable.

I am pretty sure the phase/sensor wires are wrong. just was asking because i was un-aware that there was a way to seriously overclock the system w/ wrong wiring really. like I figure just wrong wiring wouldn't do this but maybe if the motor is set up for 60" but the controller is set for 120"? or vice-verca. k, so that sounds stupid when I re-read it but w/e, idk.

I'll look through your past posts Amberwolf.

thx

DC

yes there is a weird off the chart speed combo that is incorrect one, I have seen it once or twice before, not a common thing,
but you'll find that high rpm combo the no loads amps are quite high also, its the wrong combo!!
I've never seen an explanation for it but there will be a different combo that gives low amps at no load and it runs smooth.

False positive combinations are typically a very advanced timing, which would result in high speeds. You're lucky you didn't burn the motor up riding it like that. Since it was forward, then the good combo with either the phase wires or the hall wires static will almost certainly be reverse.

Every hall combination has 1 valid combo of the 6 possible phase combos.
Every phase combination has 1 valid hall combo of the 6 possible.

To change directions swap 2, any 2 , only 2 of the halls, and find the right combo of the 6 possible phases.
OR
To change directions swap 2, any 2 , only 2 of the phases, and find the right combo of the 6 possible halls.

Hints-
Choose the harder to change type (halls or phase) as your static group, so at most you'll have a single swap of 2 wires of the group that are harder to change.
Swapping just 2 wires at a time is easier to be systematic.
Take the chain off so the pedals don't whack you if you hit a reverse.
Us only small throttle pulses until you have a valid combo.
If you get a valid reverse, get someone to take a video you trying to ride it, and be sure to post it here. :lol:

so just to follow up, i tried all phase /sensor combinations and settled on one of the 3 that seemed smoothest in the right direction. this motor is still very fast. unloaded it spins up to 40mph. underway it runs very smooth and quiet, hits 29mph pretty easily on the flat and has decent hill climbing power as well, maintaining 25ish mph up moderate hills. not bad for a generic "500 watt" E-bay kit. I haven't bothered to wire up my CA to the controller and there is no nomenclature on the case but I am guessing it must be at least a 20 amp/1000w unit. maybe mis-listed on E-bay or just got sent the wrong one? anyways, I'm fitting some beefy torque arms onto this before I turn it over to my friend.

DC

Back