A rookies first build

Yeah you're right, I looked up the EMS testing and it is indeed required. So now I've a bit of a dillema what to do, because I wanna build a nice looking moped, but there is no point doing so if I can't ride it.

I think the best and most cost effective way to "build" an electric moped to your liking is by modifying an existing electric vehicle that has already got a licence plate. To first learn about modifying you could buy a second hand one with low mileage and lead acid batteries that has been used too little so the batteries are dead. And then build your own battery pack for it, modify the controller (shunt mod for better acceleration) and customize the bike/scooter/moped itself. If you search and keep an eye open on "Marktplaats" you should be able to pick something up for a decent price.

Yeah I think that's the best option for now, and btw thanks for all the info you been giving me.

If i change the motor or modify the frame of an existing moped, do I need to get it relicensed?

You're welcome.
Changing a structural part of the frame and/or swapping in a different engine/motor is indeed altering it so much that you would need to get it tested and have the changes registered. And that is not so much a problem with the police but more in case of an accident to still being insured (WA).

Back