A123 20AH cells source?

curious said:
rant-mode
I find the story with batteries sickening. Just about in every other area of business you can get industrial grade materials and components in sample or small business quantities freely and legally via distributors (and this includes hazmat-grade stuff, that can burn, poison or cut parts of your body and/or damage your property). This is considered normal in terms of risk/reward for the society. But somehow if we want modern raw cells from any premium manufacturer we have to go through gray channels (and getting QC rejects, cells from disassembled packs and who knows what) as if we are buying drugs or something... This situation really kills innovation in the world of EV and the innovation is normally done in startups, not big companies.
/rant-mode

Perhaps a possible business opportunity for someone, either suppliers are being rational in this policy or they are not. Perhaps it liability issues, perhaps its branding issues, either way there might be a work around somewhere. Without investigate it properly its hard to say.
I had a friend who once worked as a salesman for a company selling boxes. His boss told him to tell people who asked for small numbers of boxes not to call again. Needless to say my friend decided their was no good reason for this policy and setup his own (very successful) box making business

curious said:
rant-mode
I find the story with batteries sickening. Just about in every other area of business you can get industrial grade materials and components in sample or small business quantities freely and legally via distributors (and this includes hazmat-grade stuff, that can burn, poison or cut parts of your body and/or damage your property). This is considered normal in terms of risk/reward for the society. But somehow if we want modern raw cells from any premium manufacturer we have to go through gray channels (and getting QC rejects, cells from disassembled packs and who knows what) as if we are buying drugs or something... This situation really kills innovation in the world of EV and the innovation is normally done in startups, not big companies.
/rant-mode

Curious,
I agree with your rant whole-heartedly, and it's just that kind of stuff that feeds into part of my brain wanting to believe in some of the EV related conspiracy theories. Our saving grace is that despite their possible best efforts, our grass roots effort is laying a foundation impossible to destroy. Cheap and powerful batteries are coming. We just have to be patient for some of the new breakthroughs we all read about 2 and 3 years ago to become available. I refuse to accept that they will all fail or sell out to the man.

In the meantime, if conspiracy stuff is even partially true, their chosen approach will play against them, because each day that the electric car is suppressed thousands, if not tens of thousands, discover the advantages of much smaller and lighter EVs, such as ebikes and etrikes, that they will never give up even once electric cars become widely available and affordable.

curious said:
rant-mode
/rant-mode

*standing ovation*

Re: Mavizen. I wrote to them a few days ago via their contact info about batteries for my EV (car) and they wrote back promptly. They sell a "pack builder's kit" as well as cells, though this was for a 288-cell configuration, more than your average e-bike needs. Total price was too much for me to sneak by my wife. But I'm sure they'll tell you their price if you write to them.

Actually 288 cells is OK even for a small group order. Are they an officially certified A123 dealer ?

It's obvious to me what needs to happen:

A company needs to provide a couple of different sized 'packs' .
The pack would be of substantial size, say 5KWH as a minimum. Pack is sold enclosed and protected.
No user serviceable parts inside.
A modern BMS is inside. Manages the pack correctly depending on external factors, V,I,temp,Charge rate, etc.
Pack is electricly protected from most stupid user mistakes.
Pack is heavily data logged. ( say 8 gig, compressed/encrypted). Customer returns are 'black box recorder' investigated to see how it failed.
Packs can be combined to tailor from e-scooter to e-car of Tesla caliber.

Totally doable, requires enough investment to get rolling, a minimum of 2 to 3 hundred K.
Two EE's, packaging engineer, a tech/fab guy for prototype work, to start.
Packs would become the defacto standard for traction batteries/UPS batteries.
A123 welcome to provide cells, but Korea or China would be welcome to bid on providing cells.
A123 would be LUCKY to get contract, instead of company begging them to sell us some cells. LG and others
knocking on the door. Chinese bidding with lower quality cells.

-Les

jbalgley said:
Re: Mavizen. I wrote to them a few days ago via their contact info about batteries for my EV (car) and they wrote back promptly. They sell a "pack builder's kit" as well as cells, though this was for a 288-cell configuration, more than your average e-bike needs. Total price was too much for me to sneak by my wife. But I'm sure they'll tell you their price if you write to them.

Can you tell us what the price would have been on a "per cell" basis?

Also what is the best way to put them together? The contacts are a bitch to solder from my experience!

wojtek said:
The contacts are a bitch to solder from my experience!
I know it sounds odd but few small binder clips (with handles removed) per tab pair and some thin single sided tape to prevent cells from sliding in the pack should work. Wires should be terminated with copper foil and squeezed either between tabs or around tabs and then firmly fixed in the pack housing. The arrangement allows super-easy cell replacement if needed. That is what I planned for when/if I get those pouch cells.

As mentioned earlier in this thread, Falcon EV sells them for $80 per loose cell, or $100 each assembled into a pack. I don't know if they buy direct from A123, but they claim cells are "Grade A virgin."

I just received my shipment of 100 of these cells from China. I bought extra to get the lower price. I am going to build a few packs and will offer the rest for sale if they test OK. They are new, but there is an issue with the tabs being shorter than the pristine cells.

jimw1960 said:
I don't know if they buy direct from A123, but they claim cells are "Grade A virgin."
Trouble is - there is no official distributor list on a123 site. Everything else is gray market. Nothing personal against Falcon, but their claim is just a claim. When I buy something from mcmaster or mouser or fisher scientific I know it is legit QC controlled stuff - they are official distributors.

Re: Mavizen prices. I didn't ask for permission to publish them, so I don't feel comfortable doing so. As per other messages in this thread -- if they wanted you to know their prices, they'd tell you!

jbalgley said:
Re: Mavizen prices. I didn't ask for permission to publish them, so I don't feel comfortable doing so. As per other messages in this thread -- if they wanted you to know their prices, they'd tell you!

Or, perhaps more like, "If you have to ask, you can't afford it." :)

br549 said:
webfootguy said:
A company has announced a reseller agreement with A123Systems for the 20Ah prismatic cells! And they will offer warranty support and intend to offer all the other A123 cells as well. This is great news as far as I am concerned.

http://www.mavizen.com/Latest/New_Page.html
I submitted a request for AMP20 Prismatic Pouch Cells a few days back, no response yet, has anyone else submitted a request here?
http://www.mavizen.com/contact.html
I got a response (see below). I’d like a turnkey system with BMS and charger. I’ve got 6 Optima D31M batteries and would like the pack replaced with an equivalent in Prismatic A123 Pouch Cells. I’ve started doing some research on SLA vs A123 and I realize there is no straight equivalent compare of SLA to A123 but I just need to get in the ball park to make my order. Any advice on how I should respond to the e-mail below would be greatly appreciated.

Sorry for the delay in responding, i can confirm we can supply the Prismatic A123 Pouch cells. Our list price is $65.00 per unit exc delivery and taxes.

Please can you confirm the quantity you require, the project you will be using it for, whether you require any Battery Management Systems to go with them.

I look forward to hearing from you.
--
xxxx xxxx
Technical Support

I would tell them exactly what you told us. Explain your application, what batteries you are using now, what your current performance/range/etc are, and what performance/range/etc you would like to get. They should be able to advise you on where to go from there.

If they're actually A-grade, full QC passed, cells (I would hope so...they say they're an official distributor, though there's no mention of them that I can find on A123's site), that's a pretty good price.

Just in case y'all are not aware, Mavizen is a manufacturer of E Motorcycles, and, the moving force behind the TTXGP E-Motorcycle racing series.

They were recently named as the official Distributor of A123 Batteries. This info is on Elmoto forum.

They are very tied up in Motorcycles and the TTXGP Series in the USA.

x88x said:
I would tell them exactly what you told us. Explain your application, what batteries you are using now, what your current performance/range/etc are, and what performance/range/etc you would like to get. They should be able to advise you on where to go from there.
This is what I sent, if it works out I'll order the pack and report back.

I’d like a turnkey system with BMS and charger. I’ve got 6 Optima D31M batteries mounted on my trike and would like the pack replaced with an equivalent in Prismatic A123 Pouch Cells. I’ve started doing some research on SLA vs A123 and I realize there is no straight equivalent compare of SLA to A123 but I just need to get in the ball park to make my order. I’m getting 25 miles to a charge now. I have an etek motor and a roboteq HBL1650 controller that draws 150A for 1min and 100a 1hr rated. I’m running an etek motor that is rated at 150A continuous. Attached is a picture of my current battery bay. It would be a bonus if I could monitor the pack from my onboard computer via serial or usb.

Also added this and re-sent...I was running a 72 volt system but now I'm running at 48v and am requesting a 48v pack. If you already sell standard packs I would consider changing my existing motor and controller configuration to match what you sell.

Here is a video of a test I did this morning using two 12-ft jumper cables to dead short one of these cells. In the video, I misspoke saying the CBA was drawing 10 amps. It is actually drawing 20 amps. The dead-short with the cables is in parallel to the CBA. Based on a known cell capacity of 20Ah, I was able to calculate that current draw through the cables was 146 amps during the 2.8 minues they were connected. So adding the CBA current, the cell is pushing a average of of 166 amps. Voltage stayed at 2.9 volts at that current. Cell barely got warm. The aluminum clamps at the tabs did get warm, but not hot. Since CBA was reading voltage off the clamps, the cell voltage was probably a few millivots higher.

http://youtu.be/lWk24MbYEBg
[youtube]lWk24MbYEBg[/youtube]

I'm in the UK and already using 50 of the A123 20 ah cells in my Insight and i also have a few spares.
So I have e-mailed Mavizen for a quote for 180/200 cells for my full ev conversion.

This will be either a
240cell 120kg 4P60S 200V 80ah performance pack or a
250cell 125kg 5P50S 165V 100ah extended range pack

Fingers crossed they supply a reasonable quote.
If the figure mentioned earlier $65 is right that equates to about £40 a cell, call it £50 when vat is added :( :cry:

br549,
it looks like Mavizen simply sell loose cells when you explain to them what you are going to do with them???
I cannot wait to hear how your shipping/receiving process went!!
They are first official distributor to deal with small guy so it would be HUDGE break trough if they would sell loose cells.
jbalgley,
it is common practice to share e-mail answers from suppliers, what secret do you mean, there is nothing mention on their inquiry form not to share info, like on tens of inquiery forms from other companies.
CMM

Hey jimW-

I woould have thought a dead short would pull much more than that across the terminals :? If they are rated to 30 C you should have been seeing 600 A... Or am I missing something?

Back