• Howdy! we're looking for donations to finish custom knowledgebase software for this forum. Please see our Funding drive thread

Adaptto Mini-E/Max-E Owner's Thread

Morati, a new adaptto and nyx frame owner is getting a really strange problem that from now i have no answer about hos adaptto.

Anyone experienced that?

I'm sure my screen glitch issue is throttle related. In ECO mode, if I only apply throttle lightly then the screen does not change. As soon as i get to max throttle, I lose my Main screen to the menu screen or charge screen. If I switch over to Normal or BOOST mode and hit the throttle then the Main screen is lost right away. Also, while on the throttle the BACK button is useless. I have to close the throttle fully to able to toggle back to the Main screen. Any input would be appreciated.....

Doc

Offroader said:
Allex said:
You can actually plug them in how you like, in whatever order and also swap them while everything is ON. As long as the connector wiring is correct :)

Interesting, much better than using 6s packs.

I guess this is because you're not connecting balance lead wires from two packs together, each pack balance leads are completely separated from the other packs.

I assume this means you can plug in the 4s balance leads into any slot in any order into the BMS. You could also unplug packs in the series while the 4s balance leads are also connected to the BMS. I guess there is nothing you really could do to burn out the BMS if your using hobby king 4s packs where the wiring is guaranteed to be correct on the individual packs.

Well call me stupid, but I just bought 6 6s packs which I mentioned earlier to create a 66v/32ah pack. I think it's good value. But I need some help with fabricating it all together..you know 6s to 4s connectors and so on.
But this is the place to be right? No plug and pay for me :lol:

mini-e question for those of you with mini-e.

on level ground, full throttle gets me about 55kph (34mph) on a downhill with full throttle I can get maybe 65-68kph (41mph)

this is with the controller set to
65amps
150 phase amps
ovs to 3
pwr to 1.5
battery is a 20s 18650 pack that charges to about 83v (i charge to 4.12 per cell) 20s 22ah pack

motor is a cromotor.

I'm curious how fast other mini-e owners are able to get on 20s. trying to figure out if theres more i can eak out of this setup.

is it my volts that mostly limits me? I'm amazed when I'm cruising doing 40kph using 12amps, whack open the throttle and watch it jump to 40+ amps but speed only picks up to 50kph, and not a real fast acceleration.

if an amp burst from 12amps to 40-50amps only gets me an extra 10kph how is the max-e hitting 100+kph? I guess its just that big a difference for you max-e's that pull 130+ amps ?

Jonboy said:
Hi guys, I'm looking for a little reassurance here.. In the pic attached i've started to trial assemble my new multistar 4s 16ah packs for use with my new Max E.

What I've done so far:

Taped them into a brick just to hold them steady for now.
Paralleled each two packs that are side by side to each other with xt90 parralleling leads.
Using 4s Parallel Balance Leads join the two packs that are side by side to each other.
Link 5 sets of two packs in series.

As you look at the pic you can see the + terminates at the left hand side and the - on the right.

Looking at the adaptto wiring diagram the - side of the complete battery pack to bms starts first enabling the other end of the bms to be snapped off if need be, so the last plug going into the bms should be the one which lands up plugged into the packs that that terminate with the + side off all the packs.

So assuming I got this all ok, can I:

Plug in to the bms as they are in the pic?

Do the plugs need to be inserted in any specific order?

Does the 4 pin bms black plug need to be plugged in to the complete system before the balance plugs go in?

If so to the above, does the whole set up need to be powered up too?

I'm hoping it's a simple plug it all in away from the system so I can finish the pack completely then just plug it into the adaptto when I'm ready...

Many thanks..

Jon

There are 5 balancing connectors for the whole pack after joining 10 with parallel balance . how do you guys manage to plug 5 connects into the BMS board everytime during charge when all batteries are inside the bike? Do you have to dig out each balance lead of the 5 from the tight space battery compartment and plug into the BMS?
Or most people just let all the balance leads plugged to the BMS and BMS always inside the bike plugged in with the controller, they are always connected. seems easier that way?!

wingsuit said:

on level ground, full throttle gets me about 55kph (34mph) on a downhill with full throttle I can get maybe 65-68kph (41mph)

this is with the controller set to
65amps
150 phase amps
ovs to 3
pwr to 1.5
battery is a 20s 18650 pack that charges to about 83v (i charge to 4.12 per cell) 20s 22ah pack

motor is a cromotor.

I'm curious how fast other mini-e owners are able to get on 20s. trying to figure out if theres more i can eak out of this setup.

is it my volts that mostly limits me? I'm amazed when I'm cruising doing 40kph using 12amps, whack open the throttle and watch it jump to 40+ amps but speed only picks up to 50kph, and not a real fast acceleration.

if an amp burst from 12amps to 40-50amps only gets me an extra 10kph how is the max-e hitting 100+kph? I guess its just that big a difference for you max-e's that pull 130+ amps ?

Well before my mini-e got smoked I was a lot faster with 20s. I had almost the same configuration as you, except for the motor. I have a CL 4080.
20S/20Ah, voltage is exactly the same, also 18650 samsung 25r.
When using the max setting it was a beast. Max was about 80kph in setting OVS 6 or 7, but not much different when OVS was 3.

Maybe the wind in your cromotor is the limiting factor? If that is true then your torque should be better then mine.

interesting.

I had been limiting my amps to 65 because it was a 65amp controller (mini-e), and same for my phase amps at 140-150, because i had seen that number mentioned. I noticed that technically I can dial higher than that. should i just try and crank phase amps as high as i can go and same with controller amps? I had seen ovs 3 recomended for mini-e. interesting to see you used as high as 6-7

if i just stick everything to the max it will go it shouldnt blow the controller or anything correct? (ie normal firmware shouldnt let you put settings that might fry the mini-e correct? worst case it will just heat up fast which might limit power due to overheat?

BCTECH, you never take out the batteries to charge them, they are always inside the bike.
Wingsuit, mini-e/20s/cro should get you to around 75km/h on the flat. with 65DC A, phase amps are only for start and accelerations, not for top speed.
maybe you nee to tune in your angles a bit.

sounds good allex. thanks for the heads up. I've been meaning to spend some dedicated time to tuning. just wanted to hear whats possible. sounds like i have some work to do.

when ive been on the stand ive had speeds up to 100-105kph, but under load with me riding on the flats its only around 55-58

Allex said:
BCTECH, you never take out the batteries to charge them, they are always inside the bike.
Wingsuit, mini-e/20s/cro should get you to around 75km/h on the flat. with 65DC A, phase amps are only for start and accelerations, not for top speed.
maybe you nee to tune in your angles a bit.

Thanks Alex.
if putting the BMS board also inside the bike , will there be any problem running the controller with all balancing port/BMS connected?

Well you usually place the BMS near the battery or inside the battery - like regular batteries that comes ready. To charge the bike you just have one plug, see:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?feature=player_embedded&v=w_MeaAnvgrs#t=156

wingsuit said:

I need to tune my motor more but on 18s I get around 41 mph at the top of my charge. Otherwise its around 36 mph on flat ground. I also have a cromotor and I am testing my school's mini-e.

thanks for the tips. was able to tune it to get 70kph on the flats. also has higher speeds later in the battery when it was starting to wane previously.

Update if anybody cares, I unlocked my mini-e as I have had it for over a year. 80a/180a currently and it flies along quite nicely. Any more phase amps than that and I end up looking at the sky. Latest firmware. 6.7kw peak.

Top speed with 20s/18650 25ah and cromotor 85kph which is plenty fast for me. Maintains >60kph up all the steepest hills on my commute.

Temperatures all pretty low even after extended periods at 70kph, however I will be upgrading the cooling with better thermal paste and external heat sink to ensure long service life.

40km every day charging at 2kw, 30wh/km average economy now at higher power settings.

That's cool. Glad to hear it is running well with that much power in such a small package. [SMILING FACE WITH OPEN MOUTH] I may unlock my Max E instead of doing the ls traction control trick. So, you can just set the battery and phase amps to whatever you want? Be careful. Lol

Ohbse said:
Update if anybody cares, I unlocked my mini-e as I have had it for over a year. 80a/180a currently and it flies along quite nicely. Any more phase amps than that and I end up looking at the sky. Latest firmware. 6.7kw peak.

Top speed with 20s/18650 25ah and cromotor 85kph which is plenty fast for me. Maintains >60kph up all the steepest hills on my commute.

Temperatures all pretty low even after extended periods at 70kph, however I will be upgrading the cooling with better thermal paste and external heat sink to ensure long service life.

40km every day charging at 2kw, 30wh/km average economy now at higher power settings.

Nice, no problems with the controller overheating at that power level?

Ohbse said:

I care. :)
It is good to know this is possible with the Mini-E. I suspected as much, which is why (as well as the price) I bought it instead of the Max-E for my Fighter. :D
Like others, I would be keen to know what temps your seeing.

As for the cooling...if you didn't already see it, feel free to copy what I did a little while back. :)
http://endless-sphere.com/forums/viewtopic.php?f=2&t=61183&start=1525#p1038831

Are you putting the thermal paste under the heat-sink or between the controller and your frame?
I put this thermal padding stuff between my controller any my frame. Works really well, and I could feel the whole underside of my frame heating up when riding hard in the limited testing I did already. That's without the fans running...when they are running it's really hard to get much heat at all from the controller as it's just gone as soon as it's created. That might change if I unlock like you though. :)

My Mini-E is on it's way back to Russia currently. Working with Adaptto support, we couldn't get to the bottom of my problems and after trying Autodetect with a different battery something shorted or blew on the phases inside the controller. :cry:
I'm hopeful it will be fixable and Adaptto don't complain about the cooling mods I made...technically I didn't void warranty as I never opened the case and I removed it all before sending back, so the only way they would know is if they are paying attention to this thread.
I did however cut the 4 pin screen connector off and replaced it with 2, 2.5mm JST connectors. I triple checked the wiring matched the connectors, so no issues there, but not sure what that means for warranty. :?

Cheers

Cowardlyduck said:
Ohbse said:

Thanks for the update. Can you tell us a little bit more about the charging? Did you use a charging coil, which charger are you using?

I did not have as much luck as you: I smoked 2 mini-e's a while ago with locked firmware.
Both were fried after charging with the Eaton@1,8KW max and using the mini charging coil. I sent them back to Adaptto (same as duck above) and they say the powerboards, the most expensive part, broke. Luckily it looks like it does fall under warranty. Adaptto is going to research what the problem could be.

Since I don't know the root cause, I would advice anyone with a mini-e not to charge above 1KW to stay safe :!: At least that's what I would do.

Boestin said:
Thanks for the update. Can you tell us a little bit more about the charging? Did you use a charging coil, which charger are you using?

Since I don't know the root cause, I would advice anyone with a mini-e not to charge above 1KW to stay safe :!: At least that's what I would do.

I'm charging primarily with the small coil as supplied by Adaptto, however I use the larger 70a version when I charge at work, which is now relatively rare. Perhaps I should swap those over. Power supply is a Lineage power CP1800AC52, very similar to eaton etc. Rated at 1.8kw. I've been charging >1kw daily for over 1 year without issue. 1.8kw and for approx 1kwh each session every work day for the past 3 months.

Controller temp peaking out at approximately 50c. It's mounted in direct airflow and ambient temperature is 5-15 degrees C currently. Summer will be a bit warmer and hence the pre-emptive cooling mods.

I will be replacing the thermal paste and lapping the interface between the heat spreader and case internally as well as the external interface to the large but low profile copper/heatpipe heat sink I'm going to mount.

I'm not going to push the power on this any higher. I have a Max-e sitting here anyway.

Ohbse said:
Boestin said:

I'm charging primarily with the small coil as supplied by Adaptto, however I use the larger 70a version when I charge at work, which is now relatively rare. Perhaps I should swap those over. Power supply is a Lineage power CP1800AC52, very similar to eaton etc. Rated at 1.8kw. I've been charging >1kw daily for over 1 year without issue. 1.8kw and for approx 1kwh each session every work day for the past 3 months.

Controller temp peaking out at approximately 50c. It's mounted in direct airflow and ambient temperature is 5-15 degrees C currently. Summer will be a bit warmer and hence the pre-emptive cooling mods.

I will be replacing the thermal paste and lapping the interface between the heat spreader and case internally as well as the external interface to the large but low profile copper/heatpipe heat sink I'm going to mount.

I'm not going to push the power on this any higher. I have a Max-e sitting here anyway.

Small coil: check, same here.
Charger: I have Eaton

The only thing different is that board number 2 of the adaptto BMS is broken and I am using therefore number 6.

What could be the cause of my problem?

How is your controllertemperature during charging?

Ohbse said:
we care, man. have unothers unlocked? i'm surprised more haven't and expect now more will do. as long as built in temp sensor works, that's the only limit and folks can do heat mods.

i guess another option is for folks to try out the earliest FW version, right, as that one allows ~6kW, unlike ~4kW with current FW?

i've been offline for a while and not caught up so very rusty. bear with me. :mrgreen:

i should also note that i've got a max-e and mini-e (my first one) on my way back to the US after servicing, so if you done run into probs after unlocking, i guess that won't be an option. The old Mini-E needed new logics PCB and the Max-E needed resoldered R113 resistor + new display membrane.

Does anyone know what the "update capacity" does in the statistics menu on newer firmwares?

Also what I am wondering, how is 1,8KW possible with a 30A coil?
The Eaton has i think 54V, right? So that is 1,5KW max...

Is that why the mini-e's were smoked?

Going to have to look at cooling my mini e down. Last 2 days it's been 33 Celsius and on some of the hills on the way home the controller heats up pretty quick. Gets up to 70 then cuts power. 2 or 3 times now I've had to find a shady spot and wait for it to cool

Back