Adding second battery to Aventon Abound cargo bike

Ocelot

10 µW
I bought an Aventon Abound, it uses a proprietary battery connector with a 5 connector plug (2 of which are the power wires)
It has a geared hub motor and a torque sensing bottom bracket, so the controller and torque sensor are a pair as well (hence the display)
the controller is hard-wired to the battery connector block with what seems to be at least 4 wires.

Has anyone here used a battery dual discharge adapter with any of the V2 Aventon bikes? If so, how did you connect it taking into consideration the multiple wires from the connecting block to the controller?

I bought an Aventon Abound, it uses a proprietary battery connector with a 5 connector plug (2 of which are the power wires)
It has a geared hub motor and a torque sensing bottom bracket, so the controller and torque sensor are a pair as well (hence the display)
the controller is hard-wired to the battery connector block with what seems to be at least 4 wires.

Has anyone here used a battery dual discharge adapter with any of the V2 Aventon bikes? If so, how did you connect it taking into consideration the multiple wires from the connecting block to the controller?
I’m not getting very far with this.
I thought I’d bump this to see if anyone can help

If there are more than the two thick wires to the battery, it's likely that the other (small) wires are communication or signals required to operate the bike.

They could be as simple as temperature sensors, or as complex as actually communication between the parts.

The simplest way you could *probably* add a second battery is to use the same chemistry/voltage as the original, make sure both batteries are fully charged and at the same voltage. Wire in a simple two-wire connector only to the main + and - of the original battery connection or cable, that goes to the new cradle (or whatever) for the new battery pack.

Connect the old battery up as normal. Connect the new battery. Turn the system on, and you should now have both of them working.

As long as they are the same voltage when connected, they will then stay the same voltage the rest of the time they remain connected and drain in parallel...as long as the signals on the old battery are not communications that allow the controller to just turn it off for whatever reason (because it won't be able to turn off the new battery).

Keep in mind most of these battery blender / paralleler devices, if that's what you're thinking of using, will only allow current out of a battery, not back into it, so if your bike has any form of regen braking or charge-while-riding, the system may be damaged if these are activated for any reason because the voltage created would have nowhere to go.

Back