Advice about Dealing with USA Dealer who sent Defective Prod

dogman said:
NO, It's obviously a used torque arm piece. You can clearly see the bolt/washer rub marks on the round hole. No way it should have been sent without a refund of the difference between new and used price and an explanation.

Like I said, he at least sent you something though, and it's still quite usable. You can bolt it up and go ride once you sort the motor issue out.

Because it is a slam on Amped bikes, is just another reason to suspect a shill poster from some competitor. Not that a customer amped pissed off is unheard of though.

I agree, it's likely the motor issue is the bolts for the disk. Without a disk, they'd be sticking in another mm or so. So that is the likely possibility. Fixable with some washers if that is the problem. If it doesn't fix it, you'll be so glad you pissed off Danny with this thread.

I thought the torque arms were cheap from grin including postage. All my lights I purchased directly from grin. Perhaps I could of got them cheaper.

I don't have any data that proves these particular torque arms were manufactured by Grin. There are plenty of imitations in cheaper steel of the first model arms. These look more like version two though.

In fact, it's possible he bought that motor from amped, but sourced the torque arms elsewhere. But by now we are assuming he got them at amped. We'll never know for sure now, since I ticked him off.

Amped does not sell those style torque arms

I would wait for a few days and give them a chance to speak up. Failing that, go about your usual course of disputing the payment through your issuer.

Then report back here what happened. THAT would be a service to us here.

Yeah, I started wondering about that myself. In the past, amped had his own design that he sold. So I'm beginning to think the vendor was not Amped bikes. I jumped to conclusions because of another thread from the same guy where he had a motor problem that was from amped bikes.

Well, given the following from the OP of this thread:
RecRider said:
I ordered 2 Torque Arms from a USA Dealer (Not calling him out here).<snip>
BTW: I also ordered a “Kit” from this vendor and the hub is making an internal grinding noise.
I would also make that same assumption, since his other thread:
http://www.endless-sphere.com/forums/viewtopic.php?f=3&t=44996
is titled "Amped Bike Kit Grinding Noise", which would lead one to assume that it came from Amped Bikes, and by association, the parts in this thread as well. However, it doesn't actually say anywhere that he bought the AB kit *from* AB, so until he tells us who it is, all this thread is good for is wasting everyone's time, and some server space.

Why haven't we got an answer to backing out the disk screws, which is a strong possible cause? It's been two days since it was suggested and a one minute test to eliminate it as a cause.

Cuz I pissed him off on the other thread.

My apologies for the font - it was not intended to be all caps... this is what happened after pasting.
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

I DO NOT DO BUSINESS WITH PEOPLE WHO INTENTIONALLY DECEIVE, DEFRAUD AND LIE TO ME. AND TERRY FROM HIGHTEK BIKES FITS INTO THIS CATEGORY. AND IF YOU HAVE A FEW MINUTES TO READ THIS YOU MAY FIND OUT WHY…

TERRY AT HITEK BIKES HAS CHALLENGED ME TO POST THIS INFORMATION SO HERE IT IS… DO WITH IT WHAT YOU WILL. IF YOU WANT TO SIDE WITH TERRY THEN SO BE IT… I DON’T CARE. BUT IF YOU WANT TO BUY FROM AN ETHICAL VENDOR YOU MIGHT CONSIDER LOOKING ELSEWHERE.

I ORDERED AN AMPED BIKES FRONT GEARED KIT FROM TERRY ON OCTOBER 4TH. AFTER CONTINUAL PITCHES FOR HIS AOTEMA KITS. I DID NOT WANT DD.

ABOUT 10 DAYS AFTER MY ORDER THE KIT ARRIVED AT MY DOORSTEP. I OPENED UP THE BOX AND UNPACKAGED EVERYTHING. I WAS DISAPPOINTED TO FIND THAT THE REV2 FENDER EYELET TORQUE ARMS WERE NOT PRESENT IN THE PACKAGE. I HAD BEEN VERY CLEAR ABOUT THESE TORQUE ARMS AS I AM MOUNTING TO A FRONT WHEEL AND I HAVE FENDER EYELETS. WHAT WAS IN THE BOX WAS A USED REV3 TORQUE ARM.

SO I WROTE TERRY AN EMAIL EXPLAINING HE HAD SENT THE INCORRECT TORQUE ARM AND I COULD NOT USE THE KIT WITHOUT THE PROPER TORQUE ARMS. SO HE SENT ME A RETURN BOX FOR THE INCORRECT TORQUE ARM AND MAILED OUT 2 OF THE GRIN REV2 FENDER EYELET TORQUE ARMS. THIS SHOULD HAVE BEEN THE END OF IT… UNFORTUNATELY IT WAS NOT. THE REV2 HE SENT WERE MISSING HARDWARE AND ONE WAS SO BADLY WARPED IT COULD NOT BE USED. THIS IS UNACCEPTABLE IN LIGHT OF THE MANY TIMES I EXPLAINED WHAT I NEEDED AND HE SAID HE HAD. THIS WAS A PURE CON ON TERRY’S PART TRYING TO PULL SOMETHING OVER ON ME WHICH I DID AND DO NOT TOLERATE. IF YOU CAN’T BE HONEST I CAN’T DO BUSINESS WITH YOU PERIOD.

BETWEEN RECEIVING THE KIT AND THE SECOND ORDER OF TORQUE ARMS I FLIPPED MY BICYCLE UPSIDE DOWN AND SET THE WHEEL IN THE FORK. I TIGHTENED THE HARDWARE AND SPUN THE WHEEL BY HAND. THE WHEEL MADE A GRINDING NOISE WHICH IS A CLEAR INDICATOR OF SOMETHING WRONG. I WASN’T BORN YESTERDAY. I HAVE A LOT OF EXPERIENCE WITH BICYCLES AND CUSTOM BUILT WHEELS. THIS WHEEL HAS PROBLEMS. I MADE A VIDEO (WITH AUDIO) OF THE WHEEL AND SENT THAT OFF TO AMPED BIKES (NEVER GOT A RESPONSE).

AT THIS POINT I WAS FED UP WITH TERRY AND HIS CON. HE CLAIMS TO TEST THE WHEELS, BUT AT LEAST IN THIS CASE HE DID NOT. AND ANYONE THAT WOULD TRY TO PASS OF THE MANGLED GARBAGE AS SELLABLE IS NOT TRUSTABLE.

I SENT HIM THIS EMAIL:

I DO NOT APPRECIATE YOU DUMPING OLD USED WORN OUT CRAP ON ME THEN DODGING ME. IN ADDITION THE WHEEL IS MAKING AN INTERNAL GRINDING NOISE THAT IS NOT ACCEPTABLE.

YOU NOW HAVE 2 OPTIONS:

1. SEND A CALL TAG TO PICK UP THE WHEEL AND ALL THE HARDWARE. I WILL RETURN EVERYTHING EXACTLY AS SHIPPED. WHEN RECEIVED YOU WILL REFUND THE ENTIRE AMOUNT BILLED TO MY CREDIT CARD.
2. FIGHT WITH ME AND SEE HOW THAT WORKS OUT FOR YOU.

October 29th – Terry Replies

Terry Says:

FIRST: Please verify there will be someone at your shipping address to give the package to the UPS deliveryman doing the pickup.

Did you think for a second before the accusations, threats, and insults that you may have installed the kit incorrectly? That it could be your fault?

DID YOU REALLY THINK YOU COULD SEND ME BROKEN USED JUNK? OF COURSE IT’S MY FAULT. I’M JUST A STUPID CUSTOMER WITH OVER $10,000 INVESTED IN MY BICYCLES THAT I BUILT FROM SCRATCH MYSELF. MY BROTHER MANAGED A BIKE DEALERSHIP FOR MORE THAN A DECADE AND I HAVE ACCESS TO JUST ABOUT ANY BIKE TOOL I WANT. SO OF COURSE IT IS MY FAULT. ALL I DID WAS PUT THE WHEEL IN THE FORK AND SPIN IT BY HAND. THAT WAS ENOUGH TO KNOW IT WASN’T WORKING PROPERLY. NEVER EVEN PUT POWER TO IT. BLAMING THE CUSTOMER IS JUST GOOD BUSINESS.

For example, did you install a disk brake using the screws off your old disc? If so then they might have been too long and punctured through the motor case, causing the scraping. That’s why there is a warning for that in the kit. You received a brand new, tested motor. I heard back from Ampedbikes and they confirm this kit was tested. They are very interested in the issue and will be involved in the follow up. I have had zero defective units from Ampedbikes in five years.

THAT MIGHT BE RELEVANT IF MY BICYCLE ACTUALLY USED DISC BRAKES. BRAND NEW AND TESTED, BUT NOT BY TERRY (WHO CLAIMS TO TEST THEM, BUT DID NOT DO SO WITH THIS KIT). SO HE IS MAKING THESE ACCUSATIONS WITHOUT EVER HAVING TESTED THE PRODUCT HIMSELF. I ALSO CONTACTED AMPED BIKES AND SENT THEM A VIDEO WITH AUDIO SO THEY COULD SEE AND HEAR THE PROBLEM THEMSELVES. I ALSO SENT IN THE SERIAL NUMBER TO AMPED BIKES. AND NO RESPONSE AT ALL FROM AMPED BIKES WHICH SEEMS TO BE PAR FOR THE COURSE AS HIS REPUTATION IS FAR FROM STELLAR. AM I SUPPOSED TO BELIVE THAT AMPED BIKES HAS NEVER SHIPPED A DEFECTIVE PRODUCT? RIGHT. I’M SURE THAT IS THE CASE – JUST GOOGLE AMPED BIKES AND BEGIN THE READING. I’M NOT HERE TO DISPARAGE THEIR PRODUCT, BUT THEY ARE A VERY LONG WAY FROM PERFECT AND THERE HAVE BEEN NUMEROUS DOCUMENTED ISSUES WITH THEIR KITS.

You can rant on the forums but I will respond and you might actually make yourself look unreasonable or foolish so I would think twice, at least until we know what the issue was.

AND NOW IS YOUR OPPORTUNITY TO RESPOND. GO FOR IT. THE ONLY THING FOOLISH ABOUT ME IS PUTTING UP WITH THE LIES FROM TERRY THE PSYCHOPATH. THE ISSUE IS TERRY! YOU DO NOT PULL THE CRAP HE TRIED TO PULL THEN PRETEND LIKE EVERYTHING IS JUST FINE. SO PLEASE TERRY POINT OUT HOW THIS IS ALL MY FAULT. AND PLEASE EXPLAIN WHY YOU HAVE NOT ISSUED A REFUND. EVERYTHING WAS RETURNED PACKAGED JUST AS I RECEIVED IT. I TOOK THE TIME TO TAKE PHOTOS (MANY PHOTOS) AS I PLACED EACH ITEM BACK INTO THE BOX. I HAVE THE UPS STORE SHIPPING RECEIPT AND ALL YOUR CORRESPONDENCE. SO GO FOR IT. MAKE ME THE FOOL.

No, I don’t want to fight over a $400 order and have the charge floating back and forth for months. I have the refund policy in place as a result of loosing money on several transactions such as: people who have no intention of keeping the product and just want it for a couple weeks then return it used (like they do at the big box stores), people who damage something then return it, people who order expensive custom kits then change their mind and return it, the weather got cold so they return it, or people who couldn’t afford what they bought and need the cash back so they return it.

HE HAS EVERYTHING IN HIS POSSESSION FOR MORE THAN A MONTH NOW AND STILL NO REFUND. NICE MOVE, BLAME THE CUSTOMER AGAIN. WHAT HAS HAPPENED FROM OTHER PEOPLE IS COMPLETELY IRELAVANT TO ME. NONE OF THESE STATEMENTS ARE MY PROBLEM AND DO NOT APPLY TO ME. IF YOU CAN’T RUN A BUSINESS THEN YOU SHOULD TRY A DIFFERENT LINE OF WORK.

I’m convinced you are not a deadbeat or a trouble maker.

AND YET TERRY KEEPS POINTING OUT HOW THIS IS SOMEHOW MY FAULT. MY FAULT THAT TERRY SENT THE WRONG TORQUE ARM, THEN AGAIN MY FAULT THAT HE FOLLOWED UP BY SENDING WARPED DAMAGED TORQUE ARMS MISSING PARTS. AND SOMEHOW MY FAULT THE KIT WAS DEFECTIVE AND HE CLAIMED YOU TEST THEM ALL YOURSELF. AND MY FAULT THAT AFTER A MONTH THERE HAS BEEN NO REFUND ISSUED.

I believe you actually think you got a defective product based on your passionate statements.

BLAMING ME AGAIN. LIKE I’M TOO STUPID TO KNOW THAT A WHEEL THAT IS GRINDING IS NOT FUNCTIONING PROPERLY.

I have a perfect record in eight years, no chargebacks, so I must be doing something right, and would like to keep that record. Besides, I don’t think this particular charge is worth fighting over, there are too many questions and it’s not a clear case, so I’m fine with making an exception and issuing a refund.

SO YOU SAY. THERE YOU HAVE IT FOLKS THIS GUY IS PERFECT… WRITTEN STATEMENT THAT HE IS GOING TO ISSUE A REFUND. FUNNY HOW IT IS NOW DECEMBER 27TH AND WHILE EVERYTHING HAS BEEN RETURNED STILL NO REFUND.

WHY DOES THIS PERFECT BUSINESSMAN OPERATE OUT OF A UPS DROP BOX AND NOT A LEGITIMATE STREET ADDRESS?

WHY IS HIGHTEK BIKES NOT CURRENT WITH THE STATE OF CALIFORNIA AND OPERATING WITHOUT A BUSINESS LICENSE? EIGHT YEARS IN BUSINESS AND NO STREET ADDRESS AND NO BUSINESS LICENSE? ABSOLUTELY PERFECT!

This was a totally bizarre transaction, seems it was jinxed from the beginning. Very unusual. We both agree, it’s best you start off fresh with another company. Also, it’s good to find a vendor you are comfortable with and establish a relationship for purchases in the future. Hope this doesn’t sour you to ebikes in general, they are generally trouble free and work great. The kits do require some care for proper installation though.

ONCE AGAIN BLAMING THE CUSTOMER. AND STILL NO REFUND. THIS IS KIND OF A RECURRING THEME AT THIS POINT… BLAME, BLAME, BLAME. DIDN’T I READ THAT HE IS CONVINCED (THAT’S A BIG WORD) THAT I AM NOT A DEADBEAT OR A TROUBLE MAKER BUT HE HAS TAKEN NO STEPS TO REFUND THE TRANSACTION?

“Those little torque arms aren’t something I normally stock, I had those two available, I believe I used them for testing once. I knew you needed them fast, so I sent those. I try to accommodate special requests but sometimes it doesn’t work out. You are right though, you should either stock it or don’t sell it, and I have since decided not to sell those as they don’t work well. “

“I believe I used them for testing once”

REALLY. ONCE? TESTING? THE TORQUE ARM WAS CLEARLY MANGLED, BENT BEYOND USE. IT’S INEXCUSABLE TO SEND SOMETHING LIKE THIS… IN ADDITION IT WAS MISSING THE MOUNTING SCREWS. YOU DON’T PICK UP A HANDFUL OF WORN OUT PARTS AND SEND THEM OUT LIKE HE DID. THERE IS NO OTHER PERSON TO BLAME, HE’S A ONE MAN SHOP IT APPEARS AND HE HAS MADE NO EFFORT TO BLAME ANYONE ELSE BUT ME.

“and I have since decided not to sell those as they don’t work well “

I’D BET THE JUSTIN FROM EBIKES.CA WOULD BEG TO DIFFER. THESE ARE HIS GRIN REV2 FENDER EYELET TORQUE ARMS IN QUESTION. I HAVE READ ALL THE FORK TESTS POSTED ON ENDLESS SPHERE AND THE TESTS DONE ON THE EBIKES.CA SITE AND THESE TORQE ARMS NO ONLY APPEAR TO WORK, THEY APPEAR TO WORK VERY WELL.

From another correspondence:

You bring up some good points and have some good questions. You have a pretty good idea of what’s out there, although some of the info you got from the Sphere forum is wrong. You have to sort through various BS, crap, and just plain wrong information.

I don’t respond to comments on bike forums, as I mentioned most of the info on them is wrong.

GOOD TO KNOW THAT MOST OF THE POSTS ON ENDLESS SPHERE ARE WRONG. I’VE READ THOUSANDS OF THESE “WRONG” POSTS AND I FIND THERE IS A LOT OF CREDIBLE USEFUL INFORMATION.

BECAUSE TERRY DIDN’T KEEP HIS WORD AND CONTINUES TO TRY AND SCREW ME OVER I HAVE POSTED THIS MESSAGE (SAID HE WOULD SEND UPS TO PICK UP THE PACKAGE). THIS WAS FOLLOWED BY AN EMAIL ABOUT 10 DAYS LATER THAT THEY DON’T DO PICK UP WHERE I LIVE. SO THEN HE SENT ANOTHER EMAIL WITH A STICKER TO PRINT (WHICH I PRINTED, DROVE TO THE UPS STORE AND RETURNED). IT’S BEEN MORE THAN A MONTH THAT HE HAS HAD THIS KIT IN HIS POSSESSION AND STILL NO REFUND.

AND HERE IS WHAT HE REPLIED TO THE CREDIT CARD COMPANY AFTER I FILED A COMPLAINT. HAD HE DONE WHAT HE SAID HE WAS GOING TO DO I WOULD NOT HAVE NEEDED TO FILE A COMPLAINT.

Talked with customer regarding problem. Consulted with supplier and confirmed unit was tested before delivery and determined unit was damaged by customer by incorrectly attaching a part despite clear warning label. Offered free repair to customer and partial refund. Customer has refused to send product back before chargeback so it can be examined, and has instead sent abusive and threatening emails. We have no refund policy but support our customers with a good warranty. Have photo of warning label attached, showing it taped to the spokes so it is impossible to miss. Was not able to upload will send by mail.

“determined unit was damaged by customer by incorrectly attaching a part despite clear warning label”

HOW EXACTLY DOES ONE DETERMINE THAT A “UNIT” WAS DAMAGED BY A CUSTOMER WHEN THEY HAVE NEVER EVEN TESTED THE UNIT? KEEP IN MIND THIS LIE WAS SENT TO THE CREDIT CARD COMPANY BEFORE HE HAD EVEN SEEN THE WHEEL RETURNED AND HE HAD NEVER CHECKED IT OUT HIMSELF. I HAVE PHOTOGRAPHS OF THE UNDAMAGED WHEEL BEING PLACED IN THE BOX FOR RETURN. I NEVER APPLIED POWER TO THE WHEEL OR THE CONTROLLER. AND DID TERRY SEE ME INSTALL THE KIT?

“Customer has refused to send product back before chargeback”

ANOTHER LIE. I WAITED AROUND EVERY AFTERNOON FOR MORE THAN A WEEK FOR THE UPS DRIVER TO SHOW UP… BUT HE NEVER DID. THEN AFTER I FILE A COMPLAINT WITH MY CREDIT CARD COMPANY I GET AN EMAIL STATING THAT UPS WON’T PICK UP FROM MY AREA. SO I HAD TO PRINT THE SHIPPING LABEL AND DRIVE THE PACKAGE TO UPS WHICH I DID AS SOON AS I WAS AVAILABLE. SO IT’S CLEARLY MY FAULT THAT TERRY CAN’T EVEN DO WHAT HE SAYS HE WILL DO.

“and has instead sent abusive and threatening emails.”

ABUSIVE? IS IT ABUSIVE TO DEMAND A VENDOR SHIP YOU PRODUCT IN NEW CONDITION AND DO WHAT THEY ACTUALLY SAY THEY WILL DO? AND PLEASE POINT OUT THE THREATS. WHAT EXACTLY DID I THREATEN? THAT I WOULD FIGHT YOUR LIES WITH MY CREDIT CARD COMPANY? WHO WOULDN’T DO THAT?

We have no refund policy but support our customers with a good warranty.

AND I HAVE A I DO NOT DEAL WITH COMPULSIVE LIARS WHO SHIP BROKEN PARTS POLICY. I’M ALSO FINE WITH WRITING AND EXPRESSING MY CONCERNS TO THE ATTORNEY GENERAL OF THE STATE OF CALIFORNIA. GOOD LUCK WITH THAT. GET READY TO CRACK OPEN THAT CHECK BOOK AND PAY THOSE BACK FEES.

Have photo of warning label attached, showing it taped to the spokes so it is impossible to miss.

AND WHERE DID THIS MAGIC PHOTO APPEAR FROM SEEING HOW YOU NEVER EVEN TESTED THE UNIT? GO AHEAD AND FABRICATE THAT PHOTO.

BOTTOM LINE IS THIS GUY IS TO BE AVOIDED AT ALL COSTS. IF THIS IS HOW HE DEALS WITH CUSTOMERS WHY WOULD YOU EVEN WANT TO TAKE A CHANCE. NO REFUND POLICY? ARE YOU KIDDING ME… NO ONE TAKES PERSONS MONEY, SHIPS THEM DEFECTIVE AND USED EQUIPMENT AND THEN EXPECTS TO BE PAID. WELL NO ONE WHO IS NOT SELF DELUSIONAL. BUT AGAIN IT’S UP TO YOU. IF THIS IS HOW YOU WOULD EXPECT TO BE TREATED THEN BY ALL MEANS OPEN UP YOUR CHECKBOOK AND DO BUSINESS WITH HIM.

I HOPE THE MODERATORS WILL ALLOW THIS POST TO REMAIN. I ACCEPT FULL RESPONSIBILITY FOR ALL OF MY WRITTEN STATEMENTS. I’M NOT LOOKING TO START A FLAME WAR… I JUST WANT TO EXPOSE THIS UNETHICAL PERSON SO THAT OTHERS CAN AVOID THE MISTAKE I MADE BY TRUSTING HIM WITH MY MONEY.

I HAVE DOZENS OF EMAILS TO BACK UP EVERY ONE OF MY WORDS. I HAVE PHOTOGRAPHED EVERY ITEM AS I TOOK IT OUT OF THE BOX AND AS I REPACKAGED IT.

IF TERRY WOULD LIKE TO SUE ME THEN HE CAN DO SO. HE HAS ALL MY PERSONAL INFORMATION ON FILE. BRING IT ON. THE TRUTH IS NOT LIBEL.

TERRY YOU DON’T GET TO TRY AND CON ME, TAKE MY MONEY, TAKE BACK THE PRODUCT, THEN PRETEND LIKE YOU DON’T HAVE TO ISSUE A REFUND. I’M NOT THE BAD GUY HERE – YOU ARE… I’M JUST A GUY WHO TRIED TO BY AN EBIKE KIT AND GOT DUPED.

TERRY - PLEASE FEEL FREE TO DISPARAGE AND BLAME ME FOR YOUR INADEQUACIES AS A HUMAN. AND PLEASE PAY YOUR FILING FEES AND BUSINESS LICENSE FEES TO THE ATTORNEY GENERAL OF THE STATE OF CALIFORNIA SO YOU CAN AT LEAST APPEAR TO BE LEGITIMATE.

TO EVERYONE ELSE… HERE’S WISHING THE BEST NEW YEAR AND MANY MILES OF HAPPY RIDING!

Geared motors do make funny noises when being spun, a brand new one will have the sound of the lubricant flinging around plus the meshing of the gears when you spin it backwards. When you spin it frontward, the clutch/bearings will also have a real faint hum.

If you install disc brake bolts that are too long, this can create grinding as well.
I'm not sure if he shipped you faulty stuff.

Anyway given that it's the holiday break, are you sure that Terry has your kit? did you send it back with tracking?

In my opinion you didn't follow instructions rec rider.

I have purchased from both terry, and amped bikes. They are good to their customers. They are small businesses not looking to screw people like you say.

I wouldn't be suprised if YOU are sued for libel and defimation.

Perhaps sharing the video of the scraping wheel and pics of the damaged torque arms here might help clarify things? Edit - he did post pics of the torque arm parts in another of his threads, one appeared to be used and bent. Edit again - now all the threads are merged here, which will make this a bit confusing to folks who read later. The OP started different threads at different times about various aspects of this transaction.

I've been to Terry's store, it was small but had a lot of inventory. Looks like he closed the store according to his website. He mentioned that he had storage elsewhere in a warehouse when we were there, he mentions working from the warehouse now and focusing on internet sales on the site. It is tough to make it in this business.

If it was returned UPS there is tracking on it, but it is hard to know people's holiday travel plans. I recall him being away for weeks in the past.

I'm not taking sides here, obviously this is a deal gone bad for various reason(s). Hope it gets sorted out. The internal quality of these parts is not always the best, and sometimes things get worse during shipping. Buying ebike parts through the internet has its trying moments, both for the customer and the vendor.

I side with Terry, he has done well with all my interactions with him!
Eight posts, I don't know who or care what you are but no trust established...

Terry has been consistent on this site, and always delivers beyond expectations!

Warped torque arm , grinding noise , faulty merchandise!!! I think recrider should buy everything from Costco and Bestbuy so that he is not conned again. The big box stores will have no problem returning your money for any of the above reasons. Ebike parts require some knowledge and a bit of experience to assemble and use. If you expect perfect plug and play systems you need to stop building ebikes and switch to buying personal electronics as a hobby. God help the online Ebike retailers they are fighting an uphill battle.

Perhaps sharing the video of the scraping wheel

that would help establish what's going on .. normal or not.

if you are used to bicycle components and have never had an ebike / kit before, it can be different...... video will certainly help clarify what's going on.

I have a kit from Terry running on a local friend's bike, my only complaint was the time it took to ship the kit after payment but otherwise it worked as expected.

a warped torque arm, is just a piece of metal.. a bench vice and maybe a few swings of a hammer would flatten it out easily.. 5 second fix. if the flats that support the axle are reamed out however it's a problem.....

i'm a picture kinda guy, all the stuff in SCREAMING TYPE is useless to me since i cannot read it.

too bad there is nothing here to form an opinion on. video or pictures woulda made all the difference in the world. any kinda proof actually.

i don't remember anybody else upset with him before either. i know paul gets a lot of flack for not answering his emails instantly.

it takes a real masochist to try to make a living in this business. of course the chinese make it work because they have slave labor and low rent to start with.

RecRider said:
You can rant on the forums but I will respond and you might actually make yourself look unreasonable or foolish so I would think twice, at least until we know what the issue was.

I think Terry hit the nail on the head here. There are some terrible vendors out there - not just sloppy ones, but actual scam artists. Not saying that every vendor is perfect.

But it seems like the ones that come on here to post the very long rants, are actually not dealing with those. They're dealing with people who have a good history here, and the ranter's story usually doesn't add up. They're here to say "Look how bad this vendor is", where as I read most of them and the ranter is actually saying "Look how unreasonable I am".

Looking at how RecRider dealt with this issue - straight from dissatisfaction to accusation and threatening, makes me think that he's not here to voice a complaint about a vendor, but to voice an offence - Offended that someone might think he might not have the skill he thinks he has. Offended that he didn't get his way.

A judge one told me "There are three sides to every story" - One side, the other side, and the truth. But in the case where the accuser's own testimony paints the vendor in a reasonable, patient light, but the accuser comes across as unreasonable and difficult, do we even need to know the other side of the story, let alone the truth?

dnmun said:
it takes a real masochist to try to make a living in this business. of course the chinese make it work because they have slave labor and low rent to start with.

Yeah customer service can be a pain in the ass. I was one of Paul( cell_man )'s first pissed off customers when he sent me my FIRST ebike kit back in late 2010? and it had a dinged up rim that was real screwy. I wasn't too easy on him ( patience is not one of my virtues ) but he made good on the deal eventually and later on i made 3-4 orders from the dude and things have been peachy keen since.

Even good vendors make mistakes from time to time. I wouldn't mind hearing Terry's side of the story.

Terry has gone WAY beyond good customer service for me on several occasions. I have never known him to offer me anything less than the BEST customer service of all the vendors I have personally dealt with. His responses to your e-mails seem right on the money to me and you recrider..... sound completely unreasonable to me.

All of the earlier posts about it being normal for gear motors to make noise is correct. You sound like a know it all that knows just enough to be a real PITA to me.

Terry has sent me stuff for free, paid shipping both ways on things I needed to return, replaced a cell (and maybe even replaced a Ping BMS w/a Ping 2.0BMS IIRC) in a battery that was out of warranty for free. There is NO WAY you will convince me he is an unscrupulous vendor.

Check the post history boys. I know the TA photos are still working. Didn't look for the rubbing vid but IIRC there was one too.

IMO this reeks of DYKWIA hothead who may have some legit beef yet becomes lost in all the anger, yelling, puffing and vitriol. OP posts and runs - check the history....

http://endless-sphere.com/forums/viewtopic.php?f=3&t=44996&p=655905

Particularly this post.
If he has the disc brake screws all the way in with no disc brake, this may explain the scraping sound.
I managed to scratch up the clutch on my MAC doing this. It made an angry scraping sound too.

No pics and no responses for cries to help, but now this. I have a feeling that this is going to be like that thread with golden motor canada.. :lol: :mrgreen:

Terry is my favorite motor/controller vendor and has been good to work with.
Although he can react badly to rants (or suggestions that seem like rants) (ask me how i know)
Sorry for your issues with him :pancake:

Whilst I can see why Terry's email to the credit card company would have been annoying to the OP I can see why Terry did it. The OP goes straight from warped torque arms to threatening email, how about trying civility first. This is the trouble with the Internet, it has given individuals unprecedented power of communication, but they are the same assholes, they just have a big f&cken loudspeaker now.

I appreciate people posting warnings on ES about genuinely shonky vendors, but just because you have one bad customer service experience with a business doesn't give you the right to tarnish a person's business to the world. Or perhaps you can do it, but I don't think ES should accommodate it.

Mental note - never start an E-bike business, become a proctologist instead, there will be less assholes to put up with...

Wow, this dude was obviously pissed... Though from the vigorous use of the CAPS LOCK I am thinking he probably has a bigger bug all up in his business than is necessary. Even if Terry refunded the guy by now I imagine he'd still be posting something like this on the forum. I don't have any personal experience doing business with Terry but so far everything I have read from people doing business with him hasn't been negative. He's generally regarded as a good vendor. Post some evidence dude, then we can talk. Your rant/story isn't evidence it's testimony.

I've merged the new thread with the original thread about the same subject (which itself is already two threads about the same thing, merged).

To the OP: Please do not continue to create new threads on this issue; use your existing thread to contain the entire thing.

Back