Advice on donor bike for the BBSHD

mctamz

1 µW
Hi,
I am thinking about getting a hybrid sport bike and converting it into an e-bike with the BBSHD.
I’m very new to this world but searching the internet I have come across 2 potential donor bikes I have in mind. Although I have done some research I would still like to know whether the following bikes will work with the BBSHD.

1. Canyon Roadlite AL 7.0( https://www.canyon.com/en-us/fitness/roadlite/roadlite-al-7-0)
It says that the BB is a Shimano RS500-PB which means it’s an 86mm Pressfit BB.
Will this work with a BBSHD with 100mm and pf41 adaptors sold at Luna Cycles?(https://lunacycle.com/pf-41-adapter-for-pressfit-bottom-brackets/)

2. Canyon Roadlite CF 7.0 ( https://www.canyon.com/en-us/fitness/roadlite/roadlite-cf-9-0)
It says that the BB is a SHIMANO SM-BB71-41A which means it’s a 92mm Press fit BB.
Will this also work with the BBSHD 100mm and the pf41 adaptors sold at Luna cycles?
I have another concern about this one since the frame of this particular bike is carbon.
I found some articles and discussions about carbon frames not being compatible with BBSHD’s.

As of now Luna Cycles does not seem to have the 100mm BBSHD selling on their site. Does this mean they don’t sell the 100mm BBSHD’s or are they out of stock and will re-stock if I wait? Or do you think the 120mm will work with the above bikes?

I would appreciate it for any feedback.
Thank you :D

mctamz said:
I found some articles and discussions about carbon frames not being compatible with BBSHD’s.
This is primarily because the frames are thicker around the BB shell, so the drive's casing may intersect wth the frame itself (which you can't just grind away), preventing it's use. Might also be other reasons, like potential cracking of the frame from twisting or pressure from the drive or it's mounts.

Using a wider version than your frame needs means having to use spacers, and either making the chainline more angled (since the crank/chainring will stick out farther from the frame) or moving the left crank farther outboard than the right. Whether either of these is a problem depends on your uses and needs. There may be other issues doing that, as well, that I don't know about.

The only certain way to find out if a particular frame will work with a particular drive is to try it, unless you find a build using that exact same frame.

As of now Luna Cycles does not seem to have the 100mm BBSHD selling on their site. Does this mean they don’t sell the 100mm BBSHD’s or are they out of stock and will re-stock if I wait?
Unfortunately the only people that can answer that are those at LC.

Maybe try this and click on the link for your case:
https://www.empoweredcycles.com/blogs/news/101474694-bottom-bracket-standards-and-bafang-mid-drive-motors

mctamz said:
Hi,
I am thinking about getting a hybrid sport bike and converting it into an e-bike with the BBSHD.
I’m very new to this world but searching the internet I have come across 2 potential donor bikes ....

Donor bikes that are $1000 or $1500..... :shock: Well you run with a richer class of friends then I do.... :lol:

If you want to use either of those frames for a mid drive motor, double check the bike dimensions and tolerances with the manufacture, and do the same with the motor vendor. If the motor doesn't fit a carbon frame, your options are very limited.

:D :bolt:

I don't think Luna will commit to whether either BBS is feasible for a given bike until they've made a conversion on that bike. I was able to fit a BBS02 to a 2000 GT Zaskar aluminum hardtail, but needed to space the left side slightly in order to have the body of the motor clear the chainstay. For my wife the BBS02 was a perfect fit in her generic, but relatively high quality aluminum hardtail frame. Both frames had old style "English-threaded bottom brackets. I've avoided the newer styles since most seem to creak.

I recently converted a new Fuji with a BBSHD and I'm now approaching 300 miles. Here are my takeaways;

1. Weight of the donor bike is effectively irrelevant (within reason). There is zero advantage to a carbon frame donor bike because the power the BBSHD and 13.5ah battery produce overcomes the weight issue (other than perhaps vibration damping). I recommend a beefy, overbuilt frame instead so you can throw on racks, cargo, etc. Get a used bike, verify the BB width, and save yourself $500+

2. Ergonomics matter - for comfortable riding but not pedaling efficiency. Make sure the frame is the right size for your body, but it's less critical than with a push-bike.

3. Don't skimp on brakes. The mechanical disk brakes on my bike are adequate for commuting and rolling terrain, but they wouldn't work at all for any serious downhill singletrack. No way. I recommend hydraulic if you're building an offroad machine. Forget about old school clinchers. You'll regularly be riding +20mph with ease. You need real brakes.

4. If you want to maximize range on pavement, normal width tires are great. Less rolling resistance = greater range. If you want better grip off road, normal width MTB tires are fine. While I was doing my research, I read some article about a rider not being able to keep the bike in a straight line off-road with a BBSHD but that turned out to be complete garbage. I have no issues with control offroad on normal width MTB tires.

Back