Advice on Picking a Hub Kit

Quigly

10 µW
First post here, I will try to include what everyone wants.

I am looking for recommendations on a rear hub ebike kit.

My weight: 220# (100kg). Will also usually be pulling 2 trailers simultaneously, total weight of about 50 pounds there.

Speed: I don't care if it never goes over 20 mph. I would occasionally for fun, but will mostly be doing around 10-15 mph.

Max Range: I would like to get 20 miles, but am not sure if my battery will support that or not with this much weight. Definitely need 10+. Will do some peddling to extend mileage.

Bike Size: Will be using a Giant mountain bike with 26" Rims

No disc brakes

Terrain: Very flat around town for most of my riding, one hill will be ridden most trips, it is about 100 yards long, I think it is around 9% grade. I do ride some rail trails that have very long grades, can be 2-3% for 5+ miles straight. Might do that for a couple days one week a year.

Budget: I would like to find a kit for under $350, excluding battery, which I already have. Have looked mainly at the 250-300 range.

Other background: I purchased a 1200 watt ebikeling rear hub kit that I liked, but it threw a hall sensor error code as soon as I set it up. Company said the motor needed replaced, they dont have another motor like it to send, and a lot of the other kits I have looked at are out of stock. I assume we are having supply issues from china. Planning on taking off the ebikeling kit tomorrow, not looking to further fix that kit after the company told me they did not have parts for it. What kits are still available that people would recommend. Thanks for any advice.

Yescomusa has kits for cheap, then you need to figure out the battery.

If you want efficiency and more power, but costs more www.leafbike.com and the 1500W hub motor.

Tell us more about your battery, chemistry, voltage, ah does it have a bms?

They are going to refund me for the 1200 watt motor and kit, so I am going to start fresh with a new kit. I have looked at the leaf bike kits and probably would of bought one, but it was over $100 for shipping, and at that point it was getting a little spendy for me.

Yes, motors are a good price but shipping is crazy.

Edit: If you decide to get a leafmotor you can pick the winding you want but I would do some reading on it and use the motor simulator. Get a motor that best matches your battery and top speed.

It looks like Yescomusa is sold out of rear hub 1000 watt motors. Leafbike has some listed, but are going to cost around $450-500, including the $150 shipping. At that point, I would think hard about just stepping up to a direct drive kit.

I just picked up a Das Kit with 26" wheel on Ebay for $299 plus tax. I think they are sold out of 26" now, but may have other sizes. The kit includes a 500 watt geared motor laced to a wheel, controller, display, throttle maybe brake levers? and wiring. I wanted the wheel/motor to replace what I hope is the identical unit in my Magnum Metro Low-Step. It's a fairly powerful motor, although mine got noisy. Roughly 22MPH actual top speed. It MAY have been slightly damaged in shipping. It still functions fine after almost two years.

Two trailers weight 50 pounds for both? What are you carrying foam insulation? Hell, my one trailer weighs a least 20 pounds, empty.

Quigly, I am sure ebikeling advised this, but if it was the waterproof connectors, you have to make sure the connector gets seated.

Yeah, I see he is out of the 26" motor on amazon. Plenty of 700 CC. If it were me, I'd take the 700CC as a replacement. It should go into the 26" rim with the old spokes. Lacing a wheel is easy and something to do in lockdown.

It was not a waterproof kit, I played with the connectors a lot regardless, don’t think it was them. I found a similar 1500 watt csc kit on ebay that I am probably going to try.

Quigly said:
It was not a waterproof kit, I played with the connectors a lot regardless, don’t think it was them. I found a similar 1500 watt csc kit on ebay that I am probably going to try.

So did you end up getting anything, and if so what did you get, and how is it working for you?

Back