AFT mid drive giant glory 2013

That was a well behaved day and it was all done on the 32t small chainring,hence angry acceleration .I only use the 44t now as my chainring bolts came loose (use threadlock i forgot) and then in spectacular fashion the inside 2 chainrings turned into what i can only describe as squishy mangled modern art.
darren

Honestly, it's a little louder than I want. The shrouds do help though. When in the forest and everything is quiet, it's loud to me. So I'm careful when riding around others. I would pedal or switch to harder gear so it's not as loud when riding by others. It's does seem quieter than other mid drives. But you can't have everything.

of course everything s compromise,

My riding buddy runs higher volts amps and carries more batteries so more weight..... many things hes better off and many Im better off.

but it just makes me think of a time flying through a huge field of about 10 people playing sports and not one person was facing me to see me going almost 60kmh about 20 metres away. Not one perosn turned around. Then it makes me think of a kid who used to ride around my neighbourhood, I could hear a motor coming from a km away, I would always go out of the house to see what kind of bike because I knew it wasnt a normal motor bike.

It was petrol hardtail conversion that he loved. When I'd here it coming I go jump on my ebike and catch up to him to chat .... Even a few metres from him the petrol coming out of the tank was obnoxious. Havent heard him for ages must have been caught by cops by now. It was so funny he would say how if he was nearing people hed cut the engine and pedal... Id just crack up laughing told him the whole neighbourhood already knows your doing some wrong even if they cant see you.

with a hub they know somethings up when they see you pretty much..... the AFT might not go down to well where I ride.

Just to clarify, it's fine if there is ambient noise like on streets or fields. I don't think people would notice. But when on the trails where it's really quiet, it's noticeable IMO.

I think for trails, this mid drive is awesome! I would buy again. Having lots of fun!

i am a fan of the noise for road riding,it tends to make pedestrians look before stepping out .
Plus i use it to tell when to change gear.
Darren

I like the noise it makes personally. Id never consider it "loud". John, you might be worrying over nothing i reckon.
I've got electric radio control cars that are louder than it.
Stop looking for excuses and buy one :)

"When in the forest and everything is quiet, it's loud to me."

One thing about noise is that it depends massively on how far awar from the source you are measuring it, as noise drops rapidly with the inverse square rule for distance. The rule is basically if you double the distance from the noise, the intensity drops to 1/4.

Since the rider is the closest to the noise (say 80cm from ear to source ??), they will hear the noise the most, but this is not actaully what people around them will hear. Even if you are rideing past someone walking directly next to you, the closest they could be without hitting them would probably be twice that distance or ~1.6m from the source, so they would hear 1/4 of the noise you hear. And if you are in the forest I am guessing you won't see people often and if you do they will be a lot further away then 1.6m, unless they are on your single track and then you would slow down and hence quieten the noise when you pass them...just my input anyway :)

Hey Jesse. I'm going to order a camelbak to put the battery in like you did. I noticed you got the MULE NV. Are you still happy with this one? Or you think you would have been happier with slightly larger one like the HAWG NV.

Hey Drew, i'd go for the the hawg nv, you can easily snug it down so its as compact as possible. The mule is sweet, but its packed to capacity with battery, a litre of water, tools, wallet, phone etc. a bit more room without distorting the bag, so it still sits nice on ya back, could only be a good thing.

What's the wire gauge length and layout from your backpack to controller?

I went for 10awg silicon wire, about a metre long. Plugs into the pre-charge plug which hangs 20cm out of the backpack at one end, then an XT90 plug at the other end that plugs just in front of the seat. In a stack or a tangle the xt90 plug pulls straight out.
Wrapped the wires in that plastic mesh tube with heatshrink at the ends which keeps the wire fairly rigid so it doesnt flap around.

Does anyone else have issues with the motor freewheel unscrewing itself and spitting bearings out?
I have bought 2 new ones and they both lasted a day.
Darren

Never had a problem but you have put a lot more miles than me. I'm assuming first one lasted longtime and these others not lasting long? If so, something is not right like the screw holding it in is messed up.

drew12345 said:
Never had a problem but you have put a lot more miles than me. I'm assuming first one lasted longtime and these others not lasting long? If so, something is not right like the screw holding it in is messed up.
Yes the first one lasted 4000 miles ish and the second had no threadlock on it and unscrewed in a day.
The third had red threadlock on it and still unscrewed in a day.
So after 1 email and a few hours later Jim at AFT had a solution .
Problem sorted.
after sales care is top notch , free replacement freewheel and locking system on the way.
Darren

Attachments

• 10383953_10153049204605199_6000401358603182682_n.jpg
    10383953_10153049204605199_6000401358603182682_n.jpg
    78.6 KB · Views: 1,785
Glad ya got it dorted Darren, looks like an easy and secure fix. I hadnt encountered any problems, but ive only done 1500km on mine, she's still running like new.
Thanks for sharing the repair, i may need it in a few years :)
Cheers,
Jesse

I have seen this before it happens quite rarely and only when the freewheels are brand new and haven't locked up yet ? for some reason maybe they are not very tight from the factory ? So if they tighten and don't unscrew the first few rides you probably won't have a problem ever, but if they are slightly loose they may unscrew on the first few rides, if you catch the balls in time maybe you can screw it back together and then put this retainer?

Gab said:
I have seen this before it happens quite rarely and only when the freewheels are brand new and haven't locked up yet ? for some reason maybe they are not very tight from the factory ? So if they tighten and don't unscrew the first few rides you probably won't have a problem ever, but if they are slightly loose they may unscrew on the first few rides, if you catch the balls in time maybe you can screw it back together and then put this retainer?

Went to LBS and got some new bearings then did the " so how many should i put in there" dance.
39 fits perfectly but as i discovered it is 38 which looks wrong.
On a lighter note after all bearings had left the building and the freewheel had fully come apart my chain cover held it on and the bike still got me home under motor power, i thought my motor chain needed adjusting again due to stretching as a slack chain was the only clue.
Darren

Back