Alien Drive- New dual motor build- clear battery cover

beetbocks

10 kW
I thought i would share with you the latest creation from my workshop-
This is a dual rear drive 40" drop through I'm building for a good friend of mine who moved to Australia several years ago- I built a single 50mm for his son a few months back and he wants a bigger/faster one now!!lol
I've used it test out some new ideas- namely the new clear 2mm covers - and i'm really happy with the results-
Its running dual 5065 280KV motors with a 7S battery and the power is really nice - drop deck really makes it a nice ride and its rolling on 85mm Abec clone Beercan wheels.

How i did the cover-
I took a photo of the underside of the board- ( i wished i had got a better image-now..)
20150911_174937_zpsdh6ykd4n.jpg

Then i had a vinyl print made with the image on the sticky side- and i stuck it to the underside of the clear sheet-
20150911_174949_zpsglipmwdq.jpg

I then molded the cover in my vacuum former and the image came out really well. -it really blends into the deck
20150922_215019_zps9zuc4cgw.jpg

any image can be used or even just spray paited in the inside just like RC car bodies..the material is 2mm PETG Polyester and it seems virtually indestructible.. far more pliable than the ABS..
20151002_184430_zps0kgwvkpx.jpg

20151018_001225_zpsh38nnchb.jpg

Then it was just a case of putting together the electronics and i added some LEDs for a bit of bling..For the top of the deck i used clear grip tape which i think really shows off the beauty of the maple deck..
i think my mate will love it.. I know i do.
20151019_203841_zpsesijnj3b.jpg

20151019_203846_zpsrh8zp06s.jpg

20151101_165156_zpshxcrueix.jpg

20151101_165221_zpsr6atkpps.jpg

20151101_165306_zpsfqkqkmha.jpg

Nice work, looks like a fun board.
Any particular reason you have the motors out to the rear ?

Trbt555 said:
Nice work, looks like a fun board.
Any particular reason you have the motors out to the rear ?
yes as its a drop through the motors were very near the ground or the truck..so i put them at the rear for extra clearance..and i actually like the look of it..:)

Yeah, it looks pretty cool.
If you don't mind I'll use your idea for my build too.

beautiful build, I really like the PETG enclosure; printing on adhesive vinyl is also a top idea, especially because with clear PETG you can get a natural protection and paint it inside like RC cars bodies. dual rear on these new 55 motors is also nice looking, I think it fits really well with the board and you can get easily to a drop through setup.

what kind of vacuum molding machine do you have cause results are really nice, and the borders cut are also really accurate and consistent.

great!

okp said:
beautiful build, I really like the PETG enclosure; printing on adhesive vinyl is also a top idea, especially because with clear PETG you can get a natural protection and paint it inside like RC cars bodies. dual rear on these new 55 motors is also nice looking, I think it fits really well with the board and you can get easily to a drop through setup.

what kind of vacuum molding machine do you have cause results are really nice, and the borders cut are also really accurate and consistent.

great!

Yes that's the great benefit of the clear covers..the paint/artwork is protected ..
I love the look of the motors at the rear..i like how you can watch them spin whilst moving..sad I know..but its great..LOL
i have a clark vaccum former like this-
CLARKE_zpsidopxoa4.jpg

The secret to good looking molds is the wooden form that i mold around- i machine those from beech wood-( a nice dense wood that's easy to machine)
IMG_1025_zpskfzwnkqq.jpg

I then use a routing table with a small dremmel steel slitting disc mounted on..to trim the mold from the base..and then sand it back with a wide sanding belt -its taken a while to perfect the system but it works well now..

Very nice build, looks great.

Aren't you afraid about motor without protection as they are very low and on the back.

I remember that on evolve for example the protection take a lot of shock and the motor are setup similar way.

well the motors are a lot further away from the road than the usual set up of being under the deck..so i fell they are actually better protected there..the only issue i see is if i wheelies the deck..but at this length theirs no chance of that.. :D

beetbocks said:
well the motors are a lot further away from the road than the usual set up of being under the deck..so i fell they are actually better protected there..the only issue i see is if i wheelies the deck..but at this length theirs no chance of that.. :D

Ok, by the way the enclosure is freaking awesome with the art. Nicely done.

Back