Alien Power System C80100 Motor Temperature and Cooling

TheIceman123

1 µW
I've got an 80100 130KV motor from Alien Power Systems that appears to be nearly identical to a Flipsky 80100 that I have some questions about/

I want to install a temperature sensor, where is the best mounting location was to capture the highest temperature present?

What kind of maximum temperature should I expect to see?

How could I improve the cooling of the motor? I have seen water cooled mounts for other BLDC motors, what have others have done to improve cooling?

Thanks

The highest instantaneous temperature would be inside the windings.

If there are no position (hall) sensors or other electronics in it, then that's the most critical part to measure (other than the magnets, but those are spinning so you can't directly do that).

If there are sensors, you can put a temperature sensor right at one of those, too.

Temperatures you actually get depend on the load put on the motor, it's ability to handle it, and any cooling you've provided.

You may see momentary peak temperatures during max load that are much higher than the average temperature.

As long as you are using the system within it's design limits and have the motor geared correctly to the wheel (or other drive mechanism) then you shouldn't need "exotic" cooling, just the normal airflow thru the motor...but keep in mind most of these RC motors were intended to drive propellers at high RPM, and have high airflow thru the motor. If you can attach a suitable fan to the motor shaft along with your drivetrain, then at least wheenever the motor is running fast it will keep air flowing thru the motor to cool it.

If you need constant airflow you can duct air into it from a separate fan.

The 80100 motors have a 3D printable file floating around the internet that bolts on to 1 side of the motor to draw more air through the unit. Probably a few at this point.

Here's an STL for such a design

Back