altapowderog's electric board, homemade mount

Hi, I just got my longboard project up and running successfully, so I figured I'd post it here because this is the forum that inspired me to build my own.

I went with the cheapest stuff possible, which proved pretty hit-or-miss. I figured that I'd get this thing working first, before deciding what to put more money into. My experience should help give an idea about the best places to save, and also to spend, for others trying to do this on a budget.

This is my setup:
Deck: Rayne future killer
I'm surprised how many people here invest lots of money in their electronics, but have pretty basic decks. (seriously, those of you with 800+ invested in your boards, treat yourselves to a nice deck!). I figured if I was going fast, I want to be on a solid stiff board, so went with this awesome downhill deck with w concave that I bought used from someone on silverfish.com

Motor: One Turnigy Aerodrive SK3 - 5055, 280 kv
A lot of people run two motor setups, sometimes even 2 60mm's, which is awesome and probably reduces the load on the motors. However, for me (155lbs), one 50mm SK3 proved plenty. Acceleration is good and it tops out at 20.2 mph on flat ground. The motor does run fairly warm though, so if I lived in a place with hills I might need to upgrade, but for me its been working fine.

Belts/pulleys: I ordered from SDP/SI,
Motor pulley: 14 teeth, item # A 6H 3M14SF09506
Wheel Pulley: 29 teeth, item # A 6L 3M29SF09506
..and then a 40 grove 9.5mm belt
The motor pulley is smaller then people here recommend, but I went with it because I have smaller wheels on my board (no crazy big flywheels for me) so both pulleys had to be smaller to preserve my ratio. As I said before, the 14/29 ratio gets me to 20 mph and has no problems with acceleration. The 14 tooth pulley does slip under heavy breaking, however. The belt is very tight, so I think it slips because there simply aren't enough teeth contacting the belt. Heavier riders should probably go with a meatier setup.
I opted for a plastic motor pulley with an aluminum hub. My first one lasted just a few minutes before the plastic stripped from the metal. I drilled a hole through my new pulley and a pin keeps the two pieces from rotating. If I did it again I would go with an all metal motor pulley. The plastic wheel pulley worked fine, I just got it perfectly aligned and glued it down to hold its place, then drilled in holes and used 5 screws with really wide threads to attach it. No bolts, just directly into the rubber. Because my wheels had perfectly flat inside walls, this worked fine, and has not loosened.

Speed controller: 90A hobbyking Boat ESC (first), Hobbywing EZRUN 150A-PRO (second)
I ran into an issue with the boat ECS (see here: http://endless-sphere.com/forums/viewtopic.php?f=35&t=59530), and abandoned that for the Hobbywing ECS. I am extremely happy with this choice. It has an integrated on/off switch, is easy to program, has LED's to indicate low voltage/ overheat, and just feels easier to control then the boat ECS. Save yourself the headache and skip those cheap boat ecs's.

Batteries: 2 2350mah 30C Lipos
I got these on sale, and I'm happy I went with two thinner batters instead of one brick. They only give me around 30 minutes of riding, sometimes less with hills, but that's enough for my needs (just getting around campus). If I decide I want more range I'll probably go with swappable batteries, instead of one larger one.

Motor mount: Homemade aluminum bracket
This is kinda the only difficult part of making an electric longboard, but as long as you can find someone who can weld it's not bad. It took me a while to find someone who could weld, and once I did I had them attach a block of aluminum to the truck. This would serve as the mounting point for the motor bracket, but didn't get in the way as I was riding the board around before getting the motor. Having a block like this also means I can replace broken motor mounts and remake my motor mount if I decide I want a longer belt or want to motor to be higher off the ground, etc. It gives me flexibility. The mount itself is just a 8mm aluminum slab with some holes drill in it. The holes aren't slotted, because I heard some stories about people's motor shifting slightly over time and forcing them to re-tighten the belt. Mine has one poison, and the belt is tight. I was worried that the belt would loosen up over time as it wore in, but that hasn't happened, maybe because the belt is so short.

Electronics cover/housing: 1/8" PVC Plastic
My electronics are attached to the bottom of my board with tons of those removable dual-sided adhesive tabs used for mounting hooks to walls. The wires are a hideous mess, but at least they are covered by a pretty nice enclosure. I've been building robots for a while, and have gotten pretty good at molding PVC plastic sheets using a heat gun. I just kinda went for it with this one, by draping the heated flexible PVC over my electronics, and working the pieces into shapes that would fit together and cover everything with the smallest amount of wasted interior space. The enclosure is attached with heavy duty velco-like strips. It is all sturdily mounted, and there is no damage to the deck. I'll be painting it black soon, because the white really shows any dirt and mud that splashes up on it.

so that's it! I'll have to take some video of it soon, and I put that up here when I do.

here are some photos: https://sites.google.com/site/botsfromscratch/other-projects/ipod-car-charger
(for the life of me I cant figure out how to turn my photos into a url and upload it with the img thing- if someone gives me advice on how to do that I'll post photos here, but for now I just put up some photos on my a page of old website)

long time I haven't seen such a compact transmission - if I understand correctly, you chose to not have any mean to tight the belt ? anyway, congratulations!

Correct- as of now I have no way to tighten the belt, I just found where the belt was nice and tight and drilled the holes there. I'm a week in with no issues so far. If I need to replace the holes in the bracket with slots so that I can tighten it, the whole bracket just comes off and I can work on it separately.

Also thanks for the comment on it being compact, that was a focus of mine.

altapowderdog said:
Correct- as of now I have no way to tighten the belt, I just found where the belt was nice and tight and drilled the holes there. I'm a week in with no issues so far. If I need to replace the holes in the bracket with slots so that I can tighten it, the whole bracket just comes off and I can work on it separately.

Also thanks for the comment on it being compact, that was a focus of mine.

You might be fine with it. Usually, if the actual alignment is perfectly straight and/or doesn't flex too much. There's no real stretching that occurs for the belt so you can literally use that belt for a long long time.... The only reason I would bother using an adjustment for the motor is if you wanted to test out different pulleys, belt setups and/or wheels.

I've yet to have a belt stretch on me. I wish they would sometimes as I've setup a few boards with them too tight. I keep thinking they will, but they never seem to.

BTW - Are you from Utah or just a fan of Alta?

Hey someone recognized it! I grew up in utah and Alta was where I first learned to ski when I was little, so both.

And cost:
Total hobby king order (motor, batteries, remote, bad remote speed controller, connectors): $164
New not-crappy speed controller from ebay: $90
Then the hardware, belt, and pulleys came to $40
The longboard, charger, PVC, and scrap aluminum I had already. That's probably about $200-250 worth

You could duplicate what I did for under $500, depending on what materials you have on hand and what board you choose.

I like the solid axle mounting as well. If you ever bend the motor mount you just unbolt it and stick on a new one.

It turns out that velcro is not a good way to attach an electronics housing to the bottom of a board (probably should have seen that coming)

I re-made the electronics cover to be attached with double stick tape (still don't want to drill into the board). While I was at it, I changed the setup to allow for swappable batteries, via a door that attaches via strong magnets and velcro. I also removed the fan from my speed controller to make it a bit thinner, fingers crossed that this doesn't lead to overheating.

I think the switch that comes with that esc isn't adequate. I don't know why they would put it on but I think u need an antis park switch or u risk ruining the controller. I think. That's what I was told. I have te same one

Hummina Shadeeba said:
I think the switch that comes with that esc isn't adequate. I don't know why they would put it on but I think u need an antis park switch or u risk ruining the controller. I think. That's what I was told. I have te same one

Maybe it depends on the esc. I use that switch on 2 of my boards without any issues. One has a Mamba Monster2, and the other is an EZrun Pro.

I was told it wasn't adequate. What's the point of using an antispark switch the. If we can get away with using that dinky switch? I'd prefer to use the little switch that came with it of course. Maybe down the road it's safer not to use the little one or it will eventfully corrode and u won't get as good a connection.
I'd like to know

Hummina Shadeeba said:
I was told it wasn't adequate. What's the point of using an antispark switch the. If we can get away with using that dinky switch? I'd prefer to use the little switch that came with it of course. Maybe down the road it's safer not to use the little one or it will eventfully corrode and u won't get as good a connection.
I'd like to know

We can call my boards a test and I'll let you know when something bad happens. I had an ESC fail last month but it was on a board I have set up with a loop switch.

are you a minority in this I wonder.

howd your esc fail? how do they fail? I've looked up capacitors and resistors on the internet and that's as far as I slightly understand. What should I not do?

psychotiller - you use that main switch as a main on/off button? How long have you kept it off with the batteries still connected to the system? Seems kind of fishy lol. I wouldn't try that for over 1 minute if even 30 seconds max.

torqueboards said:
psychotiller - you use that main switch as a main on/off button? How long have you kept it off with the batteries still connected to the system? Seems kind of fishy lol. I wouldn't try that for over 1 minute if even 30 seconds max.

Yeah, never had an issue with it and I'd say weeks. (But now you've made me nervous)

I know its a different controller, but the hobbyking 150a is almost identical. I have had batteries hooked up for weeks with switch off and no problems. I measured amp draw with switch off and its zero. You have to turn it off though, when I first installed the speed controllers I left the switch on by accident and killed a cell. I haven't left it on since, but always leave my batteries plugged in.

What settings do you have your speed controller set to as far as braking, startup torque and initial acceleration?

60% - Braking
Start up - High
90% power (sometimes 100% power)

Sounds like the general worry on this forum is that the gap in the small ESC switch can short while off. I haven't had it happen though. Anyone have any examples of this happening? What ESC's?

Back