Amberwolf's Music Studio Technical Stuff

BTW, I saw you "liked" the post for Neotenous Chordata, what did you think of the song itself?
I've listen to the very last version - the low end is quite good, even agressive (which a liked). It's a good work with the bass!

Being a metalhead i can't actually give you a "breaking down" kind of review since a don't fully understand the very language of the electronic genres. But i've liked it in general, my mind was filled with some emotions and pictures and i've tap my feet a little.

Soundwise the work is solid. What kind of studio monitoring solutions you using for now?

Have to reply to the other post later, but for now:

I've listen to the very last version - the low end is quite good, even agressive (which a liked). It's a good work with the bass!
Thanks...I'm still working on consolidating the three different bassline parts (subbass, which is just short sinewave hits at specific beats to accentuate the WHOMP, a trick I learned from another SONAR beta tester but never tried in the couple decades since then, main bassline, the closer-to-midrange bass that's arped like the main lead (is actually almost exactly the same instrument, just a couple octaves lower and differently filtered), and the accent bassline, the deep boomy bass that fills the spaces, the one the song starts out with).

Eventually they should all flow together and keep the beat of the song steady but evolving.

There are places where originally I accidentally misaligned the arp of the main bassline with the drums, where you hear the pattern / rhythm change...but most of them I liked and kept as they evolve the music over time and keep it unboring.

Being a metalhead i can't actually give you a "breaking down" kind of review since a don't fully understand the very language of the electronic genres. But i've liked it in general, my mind was filled with some emotions and pictures and i've tap my feet a little.

If it gets anyone to unconciously follow the rhythm, that's a good sign I'm on the right track. :)

I don't know the language of *any* of hte musical genres, or even the genres themselves. I play with sounds and record the notes that make interesting combinations (to me) and then play with those until something resembling a song comes out the other end of the process. ;)

What any of it is actually called...I know very little of. Since I have never found anyone actually interested in collaborating (thought I did a couple times, but was wrong), I haven't used up time learning to communicate things about it that I can better spend making it. :oops:

Soundwise the work is solid. What kind of studio monitoring solutions you using for now?
My main speakers are two ancient Acoustic Research Powered Partner AR570's that I bought from my dad back in the 1990s. They used to sit on top of some other AR cabinet speakers behind my big ASR88 workstation keyboard, but nowadays they rest in a cozy of throw pillows at the corners of the head of my bed, which is where I almost always am when not at work (so I can doze and wake to get enough rest to keep working for $$ while I also accomplish a tiny bit of the things I actually want to do). The speakers have less reflection-interference from the nearby walls this way, too, so I get a cleaner sound, and being behind me instead of in front is a bit weird still, but makes me feel more like I'm in the middle of the sound (the way you do when wearing headphones).

They're heavy, metal-cased, and I run them off wall AC power but they can also be run off "12v" systems. Just a regular line-in RCA jack on each one. Each unit is self-contained, so ther'es no left or right unit; there are multiple ways built in to mount htem to things, but I've always used them just sitting on foam blocks or stacks of mousepads to isolate them. I keep all the knobs centered for tone and volume, for consistency when mixing. My knobs are slightly different than those on the images below, as mine have separate treble and bass controls, and then a volume knob, with power switch on the back. Mine are the actual Acoustic Research version before Advent bought them and began cheapening everything.

I don't have a useful sub--I have two different labtec computer subs given to me by different friends over the years, but neither one is useful for music mixing--I get better response out of the AR's. I often see subs at goodwill, usually from assorted home theater systems, but I never know what they are like or if they're blown, etc., and can't look them up till I"m home, and if I find one would actually be worth getting, after I check and go back they're never still there.

All the pics below except my trike are grabbed off randomly-chosen google search results.

1693021515499.png1693021567437.png

I also use some AKG K240 "studio" headphones for editing certain things, and for recording stuff that has to be with the effects thru the computer so the latency of me hearing myself play vs what's coming out does'nt affect my playing as badly. But I try never to mix with them because the result does'nt sound very good except in good headphones--on speakers, especially not so great ones, it can sound absolutely terrible.

My "test" speakers (to test mixes on for others to hear, because I don't want to make a mix that *only* works on my speakers) are some so-so TV soundbars and cheap computer speakers (the best of which is a tiny Dell speaker bar that mounts on many Dell LCDs), all from goodwill (thrift store).
1693021354056.png

Two Vizio SBs of very similar make that sound almost identical; don't recall the models but they look like this except I don't have the remotes. One is RTV-glued to the top edge of my monitor (was the fastest, easiest way to mount it), and the other is secured behind my head on the SB Cruiser trike; you can see it in the image below the speakers, hoseclamped to the canopy frame:
1693020639580.png1693020628366.png

The soundbars are ok, but the speakers are pretty small so they don't reproduce the bass/etc like the AR's do.

My only sound treatment for the room at present is that the furniture is arranged "jumbled" in height and position such that it happens to help with sound scattering (wasn't intentional) and I have thin hangings (with pics of wolves on them because...) that help absorb some of the high reflections, along with some acoustic cieling tile at certain points that I found by trial and error to minimize reflections around the room. I have old couch cushion cores to stick in the windows and foam blocks saved from assorted cushions and chairs being scrapped tucked on top of things in the room and behind them, that also help with reflections and certain sound problems, all just determined experimentally "by ear". I don't have bass traps but would like to set them up someday along with real acoustic treatments. $$.... :/ (mostly, having a really small mostly-cubical space is just hard to do much with). There is software out there to help with room testing and setup but I have yet to get around to doing it.

Attachments

• Main Image 20230427_165131.jpg
    Main Image 20230427_165131.jpg
    4 MB · Views: 34
Last edited:
Interestingly and quite helpfully for the sake of using it with my music's very high cpu usage needs, but strangely, this new (old, used) Targus DOCK120US DisplayLink unit (a few bucks at Goodwill) doesn't take anywhere near the CPU usage (about 0.4-1.5%, usually reads 0%) that the much newer (and cost me a lot more) "Dolovo" one does (about 10-15% typically, never less than 6-9%), with the exact same old version of the DisplayLink software 8.6.1294.0 I have to use because of the old Windows10 version I have.

I'm not even using the full micro-usb extended cable for it to the computer, just a plain old regular micro type witout the extra pins that make it USB3 capable (because all that goodwill had was the unit itself, not any cabling, which is typical, though I did find a power adapter that fit it when I got it).

I'd also gotten another newer Targus DOCK190USZ at goodwill (also for a few bucks, but unusually did have it's actual giant 100w power adapter with it, though nothing else) that uses a regular USB3 C cable, but I didn't check it's CPU usage (or don't recall waht it was if I did). I am not presently using it because it's newer DL chipset, like that of the Dolovo, doesn't work via HDMI with the F.Lux program I use to adjust the color of my display to match outside lighting conditions (to help me not stay awake because of the blue in the display light).

The Dolovo also has a VGA port so I was just using that with the monitor, and taht works fine (unlke it's HDMI), but teh Targus 180 only has HDMI and DisplayPort, so had to use HDMI with it; since it does'nt support the F.lux it's not really useful for my main computer (it would work fine as a backup or as a secondary computer only used when I'm specifically doing stuff when I do not need to try to sleep or doesn't matter if I stay awake all night, etc., but not for my daily stuff).

But the Targus 120 unit works via HDMI with F.lux, and it also has a DVI port if I needed that. It's also physically smaller by almost 1/2 the volume, about 2/3 the length, and has a tiny power adapter.

The Dolovo's cpu usage is about the same just sitting there doing nothing as if playing a full screen video with rapidly changing stuff on screen, but the Targus 120's cpu usage is *only* high if I"m doing that--it can go as high as 17% now and then, but is usually about 9% while playing fullscreen video. When using Sonar even with a lot of tracks on the screen and scrolling fast, it stays below 1%, usually showing zero.

Dunno why, but I'll take it. ;)

Links and pics to amazon versions of the items below:

1693198303837.png

1693198640118.png

1693199958170.png

I don't know the language of *any* of hte musical genres, or even the genres themselves.
Don't overthink it, it's pretty much unconscious thing. You just listen for a lots of music of some genre and your brain gets accustomed to certain combinations of sounds. The more you listen - the more you understand it and like it.

two ancient Acoustic Research Powered Partner AR570's
I like it. As a proud owner of a pair of 20+ years old Tannoy System 600A i've learned that the new monitor loudspeakers don't automatically means better that old ones. There is not so much breakthroughs in the loudspeaker technology over the last decades.

I don't have bass traps but would like to set them up someday along with real acoustic treatments. $$
There is no replacement for displacement... for the lots of a cheap rockwool! :cool: I've tinkered a lot with a DIY acoustic treatment since 2003. The rockwool and the non-woven fabric are the saviors! And the plywood.

doesn't take anywhere near the CPU usage (about 0.4-1.5%, usually reads 0%) that the much newer
The newer is probably has less internal processing power due to cost reduction. Nice find! Hope it's actually helped you with your musical adventures.

Better, and greatly extended, remix of Neotenous Chordata.

Biggest change is the addition of a several-minute extension trying out new variations, with a better ending, but there are numerous mix and note / phrase edits, removed some problematic parts, etc.

Didn't notice handclaps before. Did you add or accentuated them lately or i've just missed them the first times?

I altered them in some places, but they were almost all there before as just single claps in each spot they were present. A few were moved or added.

It was "boring" in places so I copied and deliberately misaligned some of those notes by a few dozen ticks either side of them in certain places, as if it was actual human claps by multiple people at once, rather than just a single drum-machine clap (which is actually what it is--I think from a TR909 but I don't remember exactly which percussion I used from which old drum synth (TR series, Linn, etc)--but AFAICR every drum sound I put in there came from one of those, except for a sample group called "moon tambourine" that almost all the tamb sounds are from (I think from a soundfont from ages back by "Kara Moon"), built into a kit in the SessionDrummer3 synth that came with SONAR.

I also deleted a lot of claps (and some toms) in various sections that were annoying me, which makes the ones still there in other sections stand out more.

Is the bass stuff still good?

(I realized that the "subbass" track of short lowpassed blips got muted and didn't get unmuted in the render; haven't fixed that yet, because I did that while adding some other bassline emphasis here and there, and before I do I just wonder what it sounds like to others. I also would need to build out the subbass track for the addition to the song after the original ending).

It was "boring" in places so I copied and deliberately misaligned some of those notes by a few dozen ticks either side of them in certain places
And in my opinion - it did the trick!

old drum synth
Got me thinking, how fast the most progressive and bleeding edge part of the music became one of the most conservative over time: some musicians has almost religious love for the sound of classic synths. Not that they are wrong, but the irony!

I realized that the "subbass" track of short lowpassed blips got muted and didn't get unmuted in the render
Please get it unmuted and i'll be pleased to give it another go!

And in my opinion - it did the trick!
Good. :)

I'm still working on "unboring" the kick/bassdrum ATM. (there are two; the main kick and slightly deeper different tone to accent just before (or after) a beat, a bit like a "grace note").

It's tedious going track by track doing this, but I hear new "boring" things every time I listen to a song, and then try to find them and spice them up or just take them out or replace them entirely. It's easier to do it going thru each track's notes, then when it feels right, rendering the whole thing out and listening on different speakers to see what stands out afterwards.

Got me thinking, how fast the most progressive and bleeding edge part of the music became one of the most conservative over time: some musicians has almost religious love for the sound of classic synths. Not that they are wrong, but the irony!

It is ironic; many of the "synths" in the 90s were sampled from certain popular sounds of the 80s, etc. :)

There are some interesting and serious synthesis methods used in some synths (mostly software) today, though I haven't tried them out (mostly $$$) I can hear them in some music made "recently"...but they don't really "owe" much to the classic synth sounds, in that they aren't sampled or derived from them, though they may vaguely sound like certain ones. Some of my favorites sound along the lines of the old Oberheim synths (especially the OB-8, which can make quite a variety of sounds).

I tend to pick 80s sounds because that's the popular stuff when I grew up, and it's the synths I first had access to sounds from. Some of my favorite stuff out of "popular" music is certain songs (or pieces of them) by Eurythmics, The Police, Yazoo, Depeche Mode, etc., all from the 80s. I don't recall all the names ATM. My real favorite music is more orchestral stuff especially movie scores, like many things by Jerry Goldsmith, Hanz Zimmer, Kenji Kawai, or similar composers, or "new age" like Ray Lynch, Yanni, Kitaro, Enya, Suzanne Ciani, Wendy Carlos, Andreas Vollenweider, Tangerine Dream,

For this song and others similar to it, it's also because these sounds are typical of the other songs I've heard of the type by other people.

I also may use the 80s synths drum sounds because often they are well-edited to fit in a mix without having to eq the crap out of them. There's a fair bit of sample-based "synths" and drums available nowadays that have not been eq'd at all, so they have a lot of "the room" in the samples, that you have to eq out to get them to fit in the mix without stomping all over your other sounds and tracks.

Sometimes I create drums (or other sounds) "from scratch", or by heavily effecting each specific drum sound track, or even the individual samples (for sampled "real" sounds) or the synth internally (if it's a synthesized sound and the synth has it's own effects). I sometimes use non-drum sounds as percussion, by editing the sound or using gating effects to create a percussive sound out of one that wasn't.

Or just plain recording the sounds around me and editing them down to just the bits I want for a particular purpose. (used to do that a lot back when the ASR/EPS workstations were my main composition tools, in the 1990s). This can be fun, but time-consuming; I have an idea for a project to create a bunch of percussion and synth sounds based on my 3D printer sounds, but I have to setup the mics and the room to record the sounds without background noises (so I don't have to clean them up which takes even more time for less results), then edit those down and build instruments out of them, and that's many hours of work (often at least as much as creating one or two songs takes).

Please get it unmuted and i'll be pleased to give it another go!
Sure. I've got to go thru the rest of the added track and create that part's subbass track and we'll see.

How was the bass on this 200201Ad version? Too bassy? Not enough?

(I'm presently at 200205Ae with the kick/bassdrum edits, but it's not uploaded yet as that's still in progress).

Last edited:
I left the previous original subbass version 200201Ad here, that you liked the aggressive bass on:
and here

And I just added the new one 200222AJ here:
if you want it for comparison.

The new one has the subbass track back for the whole song now. original half of the song; haven't built one for the extended part. It also has the bass/kickdrum accents, and I fixed timing on some claps and a bit of bassline around 7 minutes in,(edit 11-6: and a handful of other assorted bits throughout the song).

There's been a part around that section, and another earlier in the track, that I hadn't figured out where the problem was before: Last night while checking the bass/kickdrum and subbass tracks for conflicts, I muted all the lead and backing sounds and the main bassline, leaving just hte drums and the subbass to see where things aligned or didn't, and found a couple claps that I must've accidentally bumped/shifted a few dozen ticks somehow, and unmuted the bassline and found one note that had gotten shifted the same way / amount, but back at around 3:40 instead of 7 minutes.

Last edited:
I couldn't sleep hardly at all last night despite being bone weary, so fired up SONAR and poked not exactly randomly at the various sound generation capabilities of Z3TA+ (an old software synth), and created a number of different sounds and patterns (which took a lot longer than creating and editing the music itself so far), then played and built this:

Being still

It has some grooves to take you for a short ride (less than 3 minutes long so far).

It's nowhere near finished (only up to edit 17g so far), but it is interesting already, and is probably going to "go somewhere" unlike most of the songs I start.

For now I went ahead and fixed up the intro to Being Still, spruced up the last minute or so and gave it an ending

When I have a chance i would like to continue the evolving groove that's going just before the "ending".

Last edited:
Or just plain recording the sounds around me and editing them down to just the bits I want for a particular purpose
That's actually very cool! Did you do some outdoors, field recordings, and if you do - what king of gear do you use?

if you want it for comparison.
The newer one is better, IMO. More refined, but in a good way, not in a boring way. It's like more things are in a places they've should be. The amount of a bass in the mix is good for me in both versions. But i should warn you - i'm a very tolerant for unbalanced mixes (if they sounds interesting and involving). I'm even OK with a bass in the "Roots" of Sepultura or the mastering of the "Swagger & Stroll Down the Rabbit Hole" by Diablo Swing Orchestra. Google it up, if you are interested, they didn't sound "mainstream" at all, to put it mildly! :LOL:

For now I went ahead and fixed up the intro to Being Still
After the monumental "Neotenous Chordata" it did sounds a little unfinished! But only in comparison.

but I have to setup the mics and the room to record the sounds without background noises
I would recommend the right amount of rockwool - it will do the trick. Cheap and effective.

That's actually very cool! Did you do some outdoors, field recordings, and if you do - what king of gear do you use?
I don't have truly portable recording stuff these days, but I could take the laptop and the audio interface places with me to do so if I needed to.

Back in the 90s to early 2000s I had a Teac/Tascam DAP20 battery-powered DAT machine I could take wherever to record stuff, and then play that back into the Ensoniq ASR88's recording plugs, and create "instruments" out of the sounds or just use them as whole audio backing tracks. Unfortunately the tape mechanism failed at some point, and I could not get it fixed. Have yet to find any affordable usable DAT player to access any of the stuff I had on those tapes since then (though I found some software that would let me use certain DDS tape backup drives on a computer to read DATs and import as wave files, I have never gotten that working).

Later in that period I recorded into the computer and edited there instead, using Cooledit at first, and later SONAR, which is a lot easier than the text-only ASR88's display (no waveforms, etc on that--you had to do it all 'by ear").

Mostly I dont do outdoor recording, just in the house for things with interesting sounds that could be deformed into instruments. Mostly I made percussion sounds out of them, as most were not tunable sounds, but sometimes I'd find something that made sound I could create a multi-octave instrument from by changing the sound it made (turning it, putting my hand on it in different places to change the vibration, etc).

I don't do it much these days, as there are so many sounds already available to me that do what I want, and creating them myself takes much more time than creating the music they're for. (imagine if you had to make all the chips, capacitors, resistors, wires, etc for each electronic device you were going to use for whatever purpose, and assemble each of those parts you've made into a board to then assemble into the device....that's the kind of time it can take to make instruments out of environmental sounds). But sometimes there is a sound that begs for a song to be built around it or from it. :)

I have a handful of basic condenser mics of different sound patterns, and usually use the Avid USB FastTrack pro 1700187756792.png
for getting the sounds into the computer. Sometimes I'll use the old GadgetLabs 8*24
1700188520150.png
if I need to record more than two channels at once, but thats only on the WinXP desktop (vs the Win10 laptop); someday I'd like to find an adapter that would let me use PCI cards on the laptop...but it would have to go thru a PCI/PCIE slot for the drivers to work; I dont' think the current laptop I have has one (just a wifi card slot). Probably be cheaper to buy a new multitrack soundcard that works thru USB. :lol:

Usually I put them directly into SONAR and just slip-edit bits into a song here and there. But SONAR doesnt' actualy have any sound-editing tools in it, as weird as that is. So I use Audacity, Cooledit, Goldwave, etc., for various kinds of actual destructive editing and processing (like if I have to slice something up to make individual notes for an instrument).

I also keep some crappy computer mics around for low-rez sounds, and some cheap old dynamic mics for certain other kinds of sounds. (the mic used to record the sound can greatly affect the results). Sometimes I record one channel with a good condenser mic and the other with a crappy or dynamic mic, at the same time, to get two different sounds from the same source that can be layered together for a new sound.

The newer one is better, IMO. More refined, but in a good way, not in a boring way. It's like more things are in a places they've should be. The amount of a bass in the mix is good for me in both versions.

Cool...Mostly things I keep editing get more refined and better, but sometimes I do something along the way that breaks it's "sound" and I have to go back to fix that or undo what I did. (which is why I save every version of the original file....)

But i should warn you - i'm a very tolerant for unbalanced mixes (if they sounds interesting and involving). I'm even OK with a bass in the "Roots" of Sepultura or the mastering of the "Swagger & Stroll Down the Rabbit Hole" by Diablo Swing Orchestra. Google it up, if you are interested, they didn't sound "mainstream" at all, to put it mildly! :LOL:
I couldn't listen to "Roots" beyond hte first "vocal" sounds; I cant' handle that kind of vocalization; it triggers my fear of violent people.

The other one is...different; interesting sounds, not sure I could listen to a lot of their stuff for very long but I listened to that one and some of their other stuff found on youtube, and like some of their arrangements and instrumentation.

After the monumental "Neotenous Chordata" it did sounds a little unfinished! But only in comparison.
It is definitely unfinished; it's barely begun at only 20-something groups of edits in (compared to over 220 in NC, which has also had two major revisions).

I would recommend the right amount of rockwool - it will do the trick. Cheap and effective.
Too expensive for enough of any form of soundproofing/etc to cover a room that big; I'd guess it's 15x20 feet or more? especially for a one-time thing. I just have to make sure none of the appliances (fridge, etc) are going to kick on during hte recording, and wait for deep at night for all the idiots out here with vrooming-engine and earthquake-level-bass sound systems in their cars to go to bed, etc., then set the mics up for close-mic'd work to exclude as much possible external noise as I can.

Once in the mix itself, it's unlikely any little noises that sneak thru will show up anyway.

Tascam DAP20
Whoa, i've wanted really bad the portable digital audio maschine like this in the end of the 90's. In the early 00's i've bought the Marantz PMD-670. Still own this strange specimen of the audio gear, but as museum piece mostly. A simple and popular Zoom H4n are more than enough for my today needs.

imagine if you had to make all the chips, capacitors, resistors, wires
Can easily imagine having a nightmare with such premise :ROFLMAO::oop:😱

Probably be cheaper to buy a new multitrack soundcard that works thru USB
That's the very case these days, i'm afraid.

So I use Audacity, Cooledit, Goldwave, etc.,
Sound Forge 4.5 is forever in my heart!

I'd guess it's 15x20 feet or more? especially for a one-time thing
I didn't actually mean soundproofing the whole room. Just build some panels with a cheap wood, plywood and rockwool with a nonwoven fabric wrap. Just enough to cover working area with printer and mikes. Then you can store such shields in the shed and reassemble them later in to the... vocal booth or something. And then took them to storage again. That kind of approach!

Bare wool to kill the unwanted reverberation of the room, wool between two sheets of a hard material (plywood, MDF, drywall) to soundproof, but i rekon you already know this stuff with all your experience 😎

Won't save you from the vrooming engines, though.

I cant' handle that kind of vocalization; it triggers my fear of violent people
That sentence has "triggered" me to a long thoughts. Disclaimer: i don't urge you to a conquest of your fear, i'm just musing around!

Being a long-time "metal" fan i'm just used to a extreme vocal techniques and kind a take them for granted. "Just another color in a rich palette of the music". But you are have a point - there is a violence in the harsh vocals, and sometime it is used in the "wrong" way.

For me it always has been a coping mechanism - a shortcut to convey overwhelming emotions through the vocal.

I had a personal experience - i've wrote the angry lyrics and did a harsh vocals in a band. One of the song texts i've wrote within a minutes amidst a fallout of the Beslan tragedy. All those people drinking and ranting in a kitchens in front of TV's, some reporters almost enjoying gruesome details of tragedy because it's makes "a good TV". Oh, i was very angry and frustrated and that song did helped me to vent out emotions.

Is it violent? Not so sure - it is rather angry, but without the directed violence. But it felt good - expressing myself through barking and shouting in a mike. There is a live record of that song on the YouTube but i wouldn't post a link without your full consent :cool:

So the Max Cavalera in the "Roots" album - he was in the same bad place (far worse, actually, according to his memories) and expressed himself through the music the way he felt best. And he became a living legend in a world of the heavy music. Fun fact: according to the open sources he now resides in the Phoenix, AZ with his family. Small world!

Whoa, i've wanted really bad the portable digital audio maschine like this in the end of the 90's. In the early 00's i've bought the Marantz PMD-670. Still own this strange specimen of the audio gear, but as museum piece mostly. A simple and popular Zoom H4n are more than enough for my today needs.
Back in the earlier part of this century after the DAT failed, I thought about getting something like the Zoom, but I realized I don't actually need portable recording like that--the reason for the portable DAT was because I needed something to record high-fidelity with direct from keyboard to tape (computers weren't yet capable enough for the pricetag and hassle), and I got portable with XLR mic inputs as well because I used to go to sci fi conventions (like Leprecon, Coppercon, etc, and later GallifreyOne) and play in the halls or consuites, and sometimes others with instruments or voices would join in, and I wanted to record those too. (the ASR88 could do such recording, but not while I was doing other things with it, and it could take minutes to "shuffle data" before it would start recording, and could take more minutes doing that after it was done, making it impossible to use for impromptu stuff.)

Can easily imagine having a nightmare with such premise :ROFLMAO::oop:
Have had those, too... :lol:

That's the very case these days, i'm afraid.
Once, perhaps up to a few years, maybe even a decade or so ago, I would have (did) fought tooth and nail to keep using stuff that still worked, despite it's age. It was kind of a principle with me, a point of pride that i'd done it.

These days I'd still prefer to do it but I have less inclination, time, and energy to screw around with stuff, and just enough more money to be able to at least get used versions of newer stuff since technology like this has gotten so much cheaper (and my standards for some of it have dropped a lot, since for instance with music I have accepted it will only be a hobby for myself and never be something other people will listen to or especially buy except very rare occasional individuals here and there).

Sound Forge 4.5 is forever in my heart!
I think I used some version of that as a trial...but cant' even recall it's GUI. A quick google finds it's available on Archive.org (but I don't need something else to learn! :lol:)

CoolEdit is the really ancient one I still use for audioclip editing. I first started using it for it's FFT noise removal, and that you can zoom in to sample level and actually drag the sample node amplitude up and down, so it's easy to take out noise spikes, clicks, etc. and fix splice points.

But it doesn't do plugins like VST, etc., so Audacity is usually where I go for that kind of permanent offline processing of small sound files. For tracks, etc., I do that all at clip or track or bus level nondestructively in SONAR (better, because I can try things without having a bajillion copies of a clip around that have had different FX processing, I can instaed just open the FX and change their settings, order, etc).

I didn't actually mean soundproofing the whole room. Just build some panels with a cheap wood, plywood and rockwool with a nonwoven fabric wrap. Just enough to cover working area with printer and mikes. Then you can store such shields in the shed and reassemble them later in to the... vocal booth or something. And then took them to storage again. That kind of approach!

Bare wool to kill the unwanted reverberation of the room, wool between two sheets of a hard material (plywood, MDF, drywall) to soundproof, but i rekon you already know this stuff with all your experience

Won't save you from the vrooming engines, though.
Ah, yes, that's one way to do it. :) I am unlikely to get around to such a project, even though it would be useful for various situations--it's usually easier and quicker to do the temporary setup of stuff (since I never know if I will ever do another such recording, though it's likely...spending the time and money on the permanent solution should make sense...but it's still time and money....)

That sentence has "triggered" me to a long thoughts. Disclaimer: i don't urge you to a conquest of your fear, i'm just musing around!

Being a long-time "metal" fan i'm just used to a extreme vocal techniques and kind a take them for granted. "Just another color in a rich palette of the music". But you are have a point - there is a violence in the harsh vocals, and sometime it is used in the "wrong" way.
For me it's not how it's used in the vocals, it's just that I react badly to people arguing and fighting (probably mostly from being a kid around my mom and dad who didn't get along because he was an asshole that pretended to be nice when it suited him or would get him what he wanted...I try very hard not to emulate him). This stuff sounds like that in my brain, so....

Sometimes I actually find the music itself interesting in certain ways, but only when there are no vocals. Some of the music itself is too much for me.

I don't like most rap for similar reasons, but it's more about their word choices vs style, or subject matter, attitudes towards other people, etc.

For me it always has been a coping mechanism - a shortcut to convey overwhelming emotions through the vocal.

I had a personal experience - i've wrote the angry lyrics and did a harsh vocals in a band. One of the song texts i've wrote within a minutes amidst a fallout of the Beslan tragedy. All those people drinking and ranting in a kitchens in front of TV's, some reporters almost enjoying gruesome details of tragedy because it's makes "a good TV". Oh, i was very angry and frustrated and that song did helped me to vent out emotions.

Is it violent? Not so sure - it is rather angry, but without the directed violence. But it felt good - expressing myself through barking and shouting in a mike. There is a live record of that song on the YouTube but i wouldn't post a link without your full consent :cool:
Well, while I'd like to hear it I'm unlikely to listen to the vocals simply because of my problem with the style.

I do understand getting it out--I have a few different songs written or partially noted down that I'll never sing because those are the kinds of styles they should be in; generally about anger or grief over some event in my life.

So the Max Cavalera in the "Roots" album - he was in the same bad place (far worse, actually, according to his memories) and expressed himself through the music the way he felt best. And he became a living legend in a world of the heavy music. Fun fact: according to the open sources he now resides in the Phoenix, AZ with his family. Small world!
Y es it is. I think the people that made Cooledit were also based around here, Syntrillium Software. IIRC they sold to Adobe that changed CE into something else (I forget what), kinda like SF sold to Sony, etc.

Updated Being Still, good enough for Bandcamp now (vs Soundclick where the experimental stuff goes):

Extended orchestral vocal version; there's a movie scene out there waiting for this one:

The Moon, It Read To Me, And It Was Bright

The first vocals you hear are built and modified from a collection called Gaelic Voices by the BBC called LABS, played using Spitfire Audio (they also have several versions of the BBC Symphony Orchestra; I only have the most basic one). I played these in with MIDI notes to get full vocalizations from the library, then cut them up and adjusted pitches and volumes for the segments I wanted until they fit in the mix. Because of the way they designed the library, these sound pretty good the way they are, since it's intended to be played like this.

But the operatic vocals are built and modified from a free sample collection by MusicRadar that includes a few bits from each of several of their full collections. This required manually importing each sound I wanted to use, then cutting them up into separate vocalizations and adjusting volume envelopes and pitches manually for many hours until they sounded something like what I wanted. In the mix, it's pretty good--by themselves they sound terrible, very unnatural.

The orchestral percussion was going to be from the BBCSO but I ran into trouble with the virtual audio cable used to connect it to SONAR crashing repeatedly (after working perfectly for days to do the Gaelic Voices stuff), so I ended up using some BigFishAudio free sample collection pieces to build things like the Taiko crescendos, kettle drum bits, etc from. Like the operatic vocals, these were much more tedious since I couldn't just play it in, and instead had to import the wave files and manually set them up and modify them for each sound used in the song.

Additional backing vocal effects from Spellsinger by Hunter Rogerson, using DecentSampler.

(I use the free stuff because I can afford that ;) and my music isn't ever going to be popular enough to be worth spending much on things to make it with anyway)

Almost all the rest of the sounds come from synths built into SONAR 8.5.3 from close to two decades ago, as with the effects used to process them, mostly Dimension and Z3TA+2.

The original very short barebones electronic version is up here, because it has it's own distinct feel:

Last edited:
Intron 159

Back