Amped Bikes Geared Hub Motor (rear wheel) Review

LI-ghtcycle

10 MW
This kit I bought from Amped Bikes (http://ampedbikes.com/store.html) is the 350 - 450 @ 36v rated geared hub motor (rear wheel) cost me $400.00 shipped ( this was $50 off normal price for buying a second kit) with the newer disc brake mount in the casting of the hub motor case, not a bolt/screw-on attachment.

It arrived on-time 1/6/10 (shipped 12/30/09) I was very happy to see it since I had been working so hard to get the rest of the bike ready (mainly the battery pack). I had ordered this kit even before they had arrived from China, so I was very impressed that a full shipment from China had arrived on 12/19/09, and they were tested and sent off so quickly. I had helped my father purchase one of the rear DD hub motors previously, so I was already impressed by their product and customer support has always been great, most times (with the exception of when there were spam bots attacking the Amped Bikes Forums, making it difficult to get a log-on at first, just had to send a direct email to amped bikes rather than rely on the automated service) emails were answered with-in a day or two. Items were well packaged and arrived in perfect condition.

Here are pics of the kit as received from Amped Bikes:
27274650147_large.jpg
27274650148_large.jpg
27274650178_large.jpg

I was thrilled when I then tried this kit with my 52.8V 6.9AH battery pack, and felt a huge difference over the DD hub motor we have in the acceleration. The DD kit was being run on a 36v 9.2ah battery pack, so that is a definite factor in the difference in performance, but where this motor truly shined was in hill climbing.

I have confirmed via this site: http://www.mapmyride.com/create_new that Singer Hill in Oregon City, is indeed a 7% grade hill, at least for .18 miles, and I have not done a motor only test yet (still cycling the batteries before I put too much load on them) but to compare with the DD motor, which I could only get marginal help up this stretch of hill, i.e. 7-8 MPH with pedaling, with the geared motor, I am able to get a SOLID 12MPH with moderate pedaling. This is huge compared to the fact that I would have to bust my guts to try and maintain 4-5 MPH up this stretch of hill with a standard bicycle.

I continued up the rest of the hill and was so excited that I wasn't paying attention to my Watt Meter, and managed to spike my amps enough to cause a few of the 28v Dewalt batteries in my pack to trip the over-current draw in the BMS of enough batteries, that I inadvertently tested both the LVC and the BMS of the batteries. All of a sudden I lost power, noticed a showing of only 24V!?!! :shock: :shock: :shock: on my watt meter and noticed that the red "low" light was only dimly lit on the throttle (green=full, yellow=half & red=low .. normally all three lights are lit with a full charge)

Initially I was very concerned that my batteries were damaged, but later I realized the 24V (52V is nominal) was just showing that some of the BMS's had tripped on one but not both of the 28V packs that were in series, and I was pleased that the controller did it's job and shut down power after the supply had hit the LVC. 8)

I have since received 2 more batteries in the mails so now I have 8 total 28v Dewalts wired 2s4p making it a 52.8V 9.2AH battery pack, and I have again gone up that same hill the entire 1.4 miles (according to http://www.mapmyride.com/create_new it averages out to 5% the whole hill) using the throttle more carefully I am still able to work my way up to WOT with no problems and a speed of 12-15MPH.

More basic stats of the bike:
27274650176_large.jpg

Total Bike weight: 59lbs Bike + rider (175lb rider) = 234 ******* EDIT ****** The motor is 9lbs as advertised, and my current battery pack is approximately 16-20lbs

27274650177_large.jpg

No load speed: 31.6 MPH (It really is in that pic, but hard to see ... now you know why I want something else that I can really READ ... impossible in the rain to read this cycle computer)
27274650175_large.jpg
Volts Minimum 50.28, 52.65 nominal (voltage drop under load going up the 1.4 mile hill with grades from 2-7%, averaging 5% over all)

Peak Watts: 722

Peak Amps 13.94 (controller is 15A - 22A burst)

The Dewalts are putting out just under 14A which is perfect for my application as the batteries don't quite reach the max out-put that the motor/controller are designed to operate at, so I'm confident I won't be stressing the motor too much, and I have never noticed even the slightest warming of the motor even after constant use climbing that hill for approx 1.5 miles with no rest.

Also, all tests thus far have been done in 40F-50F weather, 50/50 on the rain, I have not noticed any difference in performance in the dry vs the rain.

I use CST Long Life 26 x 1.75 tires such as these:
Gomma-piena-20-x-1.75-con-t.jpg
(not the same tire but almost identical tread pattern) and I run the pressure at about 48-50lbs, they are rated at 45.

Please let me know if I left out anything else you would like to know about this kit.

**** More Performance Data **** Preliminary results for Wh/Mi. are 12.368Wh/Mi. This is with 2 runs up and down a 5% grade hill nearby approximately 1 mile long, mixed in with some all motor and all pedaling testing for a total of 7.6Mi. I will do more of a scientific test (all motor) once the batteries are broke-in. I have about 10 cycles on 6 of the batteries, but the last 2 packs came in the mail later and have about half that many cycles.

*** As requested here is a pic of the drop-outs ***
27274650179_large.jpg

Hi there, if you could post a vid, that would be great. I have a 48v battery, which charges up to 56, would that do the trick on the same kit?

Where did you get that little tray that the Turnigy is sitting .....

PS.....shouldnt your Turnigy be backlit?

The Mighty Volt said:
Hi there, if you could post a vid, that would be great. I have a 48v battery, which charges up to 56, would that do the trick on the same kit?

Where did you get that little tray that the Turnigy is sitting .....

PS.....shouldnt your Turnigy be backlit?

Hello, I'll see what I can do about the video thing, I have a digi that also does video, but no mount. Could be interesting :shock: :wink: :mrgreen:

I think that your battery would give very similar results, what is the nominal voltage of your battery under load? (i.e. not right off the charger but once it has burned off that extra high surface charge) As long as your battery weighs about the same, and it's a good quality Lithium-Iron or similar chemistry, I think it should be fine.

Pictures don't do the Turnigy Watt and Power Meter justice, it is back-lit, but to get a pic that you can read well, I had to take several before you could read another item on the dash, my cycle computer.

The Turnigy, cycle computer, thermometer & the rest are all attached to a custom made dash I built out of 1/4" thick ABS plastic. All you need is a couple bar-ends to put in the middle of your bars and the ABS sheet to make the "tray" and some hand tools and LOTS of patience . :D

Ypedal said:
I'd like to see a test done on both DD and geared motors at the same voltage and amp limit. Comparing one run at 36v to the other run on 48 is not very fair lol..

Oh yes! I agree, I was just trying to give a comparison based on my limited experience. :)

Now I just gotta get Dad to agree to let me have him run a 28 & 36v Dewalt in series for a 2s4p set-up at 60v nominal! :twisted: :twisted: :twisted:

Personally, I don't consider DD vs geared to be a fair comparison either, they are just too different.

The Mighty Volt said:
Nice Killswitch.

Thanks! I stole that Idea from either Dr. Bass or one of his friends!! :lol: Can't remember but I saw it on a post and bought it at Harbor Freight for $4.99!! (I found this same exact switch at another discount store and it was $20!!)

It's a battery isolation switch rated at 12v 100A, so I figured it's plenty for 53v 15 - 22 (burst) amps 8) The only weak-point is the "ignition switch", the plastic red handle is very flimsy, I'm going to reinforce it, I fear with constant use it will fatigue and break.

If you like, here is the post where I pointed out all the gadgets and gizmos on my "dash-board" http://endless-sphere.com/forums/viewtopic.php?f=3&t=15210

Nice review. Was the RIM dished to be centered in the dropouts, or did you have to dish the rim? Could you show a photo of how the rim fits in the dropouts? Thanks Rich

I can get you a pic of the rim & drop-outs, and yes, it was dished properly. I'll head out to the garage to do that in a few minutes.

Glad you like it!

No they arent dished. I re centered the axle on my geared rears and also the Direct Drives (No more dishing!). I found them to be a bit weaker when dished (harder to keep true). Im running mine on 2 36V phylions (series) on my DD Speed Controller. Rear on a Schwinn Clear Creek from Wallmart (I'm cheap) :D :D :D

gogreenexposm.jpg

nicobie said:
Ypedal said:
I'd like to see a test done on both DD and geared motors at the same voltage and amp limit. Comparing one run at 36v to the other run on 48 is not very fair lol..

Me too....

it seems to be just another weak hub motor.

LOL Nicobie.....you should try one. If you are interested please call or email me personally at ampedbikes@aol.com and we can chat.

Li-ghtcycle- I am glad your kit is working normally and awesomely...and it was just a case of cold batteries. Thanks for the great work and testing we have been following your posts.

nicobie said:
Ypedal said:

Me too....

I haven't been able to convince dad to allow me to put my battery pack on his bike, he's very conservative, and doesn't want to over-volt it.

I shouldn't have compared it to his under-powered (lack of battery power) set-up. He's running 36V Dewalts, 4P, but he doesn't top up the batteries, stores them in a cold garage most of the time, but still manages to get about 20MPH on flats, no pedaling, but hills are a MUCH different prospect. I doubt there are many climbing 7% grade hills with just a 36V 9.2 AH battery at any real speed, that's where over-volting and geared motors excel. :)

LRay said:
nicobie said:
Ypedal said:

Me too....

LOL Nicobie.....you should try one. If you are interested please call or email me personally at ampedbikes@aol.com and we can chat.

Li-ghtcycle- I am glad your kit is working normally and awesomely...and it was just a case of cold batteries. Thanks for the great work and testing we have been following your posts.

No problem, thank you for the second purchase discount. :)

Nice review. Great to see more of em. I'd like to test one, but till then you are it and did a great job. Keep it up and become Amped's consumer testing guy, free motors are the bomb. I'm just starting another fusin test now.

I can't recall which motor you were refering to about the 7% hill climb. It seems to be at 36v. None of my other motors were quite that bad on 7%, so I'm curious. For sure, at 7 mph no pedaling, a dd motor is turning into a heater. Edit. Ok now I see it was a dd from amped, any idea which wind? A 9c, 9x7-2807 should be climbing 7% at 12-13 mph no pedaling. 180 pound rider.

Once you have some good data, please post it on my thread comparing motors on hills. I was doing a test where I went from a dead stop at the bottom of a longer 7% hill, but yours will be long enough. Just the top speed at different voltages at 6-7% tells a lot.

auraslip said:
Hey what is your full throttle speed on the flats?

Oh hey, sorry to get back so late!

It's about 29MPH with me pedaling like mad, and 23-25 MPH motor alone, (depending on the day not sure why it varies so much, maybe wind) I have too many lights at the moment to run it at night on just a 9AH pack, so I am saving up to double my battery size, maybe even up the voltage closer to 60V (maximum for my Turnigy Watt Meter) so I can run my Magic Shine headlight at night for at least 2 hrs time on high. I also have added blinkers and a tail light for safer night riding, but I haven't felt well for the last few months, just starting to get where I might be able to ride again soon!

So, until I get my battery pack closer to 20AH+ I think I will be able to do some more testing, with my magic shine blasting through the battery at night, it really put a strain on my current 9AH pack.

dogman said:
Nice review. Great to see more of em. I'd like to test one, but till then you are it and did a great job. Keep it up and become Amped's consumer testing guy, free motors are the bomb. I'm just starting another fusin test now.

I can't recall which motor you were refering to about the 7% hill climb. It seems to be at 36v. None of my other motors were quite that bad on 7%, so I'm curious. For sure, at 7 mph no pedaling, a dd motor is turning into a heater. Edit. Ok now I see it was a dd from amped, any idea which wind? A 9c, 9x7-2807 should be climbing 7% at 12-13 mph no pedaling. 180 pound rider.

Once you have some good data, please post it on my thread comparing motors on hills. I was doing a test where I went from a dead stop at the bottom of a longer 7% hill, but yours will be long enough. Just the top speed at different voltages at 6-7% tells a lot.

Hmmmm that is a good question Dogman, I'm really not sure which winding my father's DD motor is. I'm guessing since it is one of the second batch that it's most likely 9x7, similar to the 9c, but like I have said, it has never enjoyed the battery power it really needs. It's only in the last month my father has ordered 2 more 36v Dewalts (making a total of 6) for a 13.2 AH battery. However he has other problems with the design of his battery pack that causes him to loose conductivity (poor design of how his interface boards are attached, alas he doesn't want to improve them) so I'm afraid until that changes, we won't get any reliable testing from his bike. I am hoping to convince him to allow me to build him a better battery pack similar to what I am doing and then those problems will give him the full performance of his bike.

I see, maybe it was just the battery that was limiting it when you got on steep hills.

Yep Noise is important (at least the lack of it) to me too!
otherDoc

My rear geared Ampedbike is pretty quiet. I can hear it wind up a bit when I take off, but once going the wind noise is louder than the gears. I've gone to 48 volts and it runs much better now.

I just got a AmpedBikes geared front motor.

Performance is a bit disappointing compared to the Amped DD (I have two on other bikes).
All running @ 36 volts.

My geared motor has less torque than the Direct drives. Same bike, same batteries, same me.
The geared barely crawls up my 100 foot long inclined driveway while the DD zips right up it.
Even with a run at it, it slows down to a crawl.

No pedals to help. It's my home made stand-up trike.
StandBikeDone.gif

Can that little controller handle 48 volts?

Back