Analysis of Commute Time vs Power Used at Various Top Speeds

El_Steak

10 kW
A lot of the questions I see from new e-bikers revolve around how big a motor, battery and controller they need for their commute. In an effort to help them in their decision, I recorded data on 6 different commutes using different speed settings on my 3-speed switch (I reprogrammed it a few times for the tests).

Theorically, if you could ride full throttle all the time, a bike with a top speed of 80km/h should get you to your destination twice as fast as a bike with a 40km/h top speed. However, in a real life commute in an urban area you have to deal with pot-holes, bike paths, traffic, pedestrians, school zones, etc. and you can't ride at 80km/h all the time. So the net reduction of your total commute time on a super fast bike is not as important as some would expect.

I used the same bike, motor (9c), controller (18fets/100A) and battery (88.8V 15ah – 24s3pLipo) for all tests (except the pedal only test for which I used a normal hybrid bike). I only changed the top speed selection on the 3 speed switch to simulate a lower power bike.

The commute is 28.2km total (to work and back home) and includes hills, bike paths, traffic, some sidewalk action where I have no choice and plenty of pot-holes. I didn’t take the exact same road on my 48km/h and over commutes as the higher speeds allowed me to ride in traffic and avoid some slower bike paths.

You can see in the graph below the diminishing effect of top speed increases on my total commute time. I also plotted my power consumption on each ride so you can get an idea of how much battery capacity you need to be able to ride the same distance at various speeds. High speeds really eat up the watts!

commute.jpg

Conclusion?

If your main interest is commuting and you want to keep to costs and complexity low, a 48V setup with a top speed around 50km/h is a pretty solid combination. You can use standard e-bike components, a reasonable size battery and don't have to worry too much about overheating, blown fets, broken spokes, and the likes.

That being said, 50kph is pretty boring when you're used to 100V 100A... my 3-speed switch is back to 100% :mrgreen:

All the numbers:

Code:
                      Time    AvgS  Wh used  Wh/km  Power     Power  End    Max 
                              kph                   @top spd  Peak   Volt   Temp 
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Pedal only          : 89m00s  19    N/A      N/A    N/A       N/A    N/A    N/A   
Max 36kph with pedal: 55m36s  30.5  402.19   14.2   450w      1500w  94.1V  50C
Max 36kph no pedal  : 59m34s  28.4  482.85   17.1   550w      1700w  93.1V  60C
Max 50kph no pedal  : 45m06s  37.4  675.89   24.0   1200w     3500w  91.5v  80C
Max 60kph no pedal  : 43m00s  39.2  821.43   29.2   1900w     5000w  90.7v  110C
Max 75kph no pedal  : 40m30s  41.7  951.19   33.8   2800w     6000w  89.9v  130C

-Power @top spd is the approximate power used when rolling at top speed on the flat
-Peak power is the approximate peak power used when climbing the steppest hill on the ride at full throttle
-Max temp is the maximum temp measured inside the hub motor
-I measured power consumption in watt/hour as I find Ah can be confusing for some. To get a pack's capacity in watt/hour, just multiply the nominal voltage by the rated Ah. For example, my 88.8V 15ah pack has a capacity of 1332wh. A Ping 48V 15ah would have 720wh
-Also note that my controller has a 100A limit, so on a "standard 48V 20A" controller, you would use less power (but would also have less fun).

I don't have a graph, or any charts of numbers, but going from memory my typical commute of 2.5 miles each way with many stops for traffic control takes about the same time whether I go 15MPH top speed, or 20MPH. There might be a few seconds difference, to a minute at most (this includes all the time spent at stops, not just what the CA shows for time in motion).

Power usage, however, is a bit less on 15 than 20--I can get just about exactly 4 commutes (20 miles) in at 15MPH tops whereas with 20MPH I don't quite get more than halfway home on the last of those 4, with a hair more than a mile to go when the LVC hits.

thanks El_steak for posting this,this will help me with my new winter build.

I've seen simlar things on my commute. 20 mph is only about 10 min slower than 30, because of slowdowns for turns, stop signs I actually stop at, slowing down to 20 when the bike path portion of the ride is crowded. It's about 55 min at 30 mph, 65 min at 20.

I like to ride 30 mph in summer because it's cooler to go fast, but I like to ride 20 mph in winter because 30 mph is too cool. At 20 mph I pedal up more warmth and don't freeze my face so much.

The energy used to go 20 mph is drasticly less than to go 30 mph. But I often recomend a 48v battery because having that extra 200 w of power is real nice on a steep hill. In some ways the ideal commuter is a 48v battery combined with a very slow motor. The end result is a 20 mph top speed, good power to climb hills, and a better controll over slow speeds when you need that. That's a bit extreme, but it makes a legal speed ebike while you just fib a bit about the watts.

If the time to commute is really that big an issue, like the guy wants 45 mph for a long distance, I just recomend a 150cc motorcycle or scooter.

El_Steak, very nice post!!! I have a 48v ping with a fast motor(x-lyte HS). Its pretty good, but you're right on getting a motor that has more torque. You can get more power at slower speeds.

Great data gathering and sharing once again El Steak. My only question is where's the fun bar on your chart, because commuting at 34wh/km is more than double the fun of 17wh/km. Wait till you try 60wh/km without a stator that is going into saturation. :mrgreen:

Fun level is definitely part of the equation! Could well be the only important thing.

I tend to like my commute boring, slow enough think about stuff or to really take in the fantastic view of the nearby Organ Mts as I ride home. Without that view to look at, with all the great memories of youthfull rock climbing attached, I'd just want to haul ass home a lot faster.

Once I get home, and get fed, I'm immediatley itching to go ride some more on the built for fun dirtbike. :twisted:

John in CR said:
My only question is where's the fun bar on your chart

Yep, those hard just cold numbers with no fun factor in them. :)

For me the fun bar starts at 60km/h, that's where It starts to feel more like you're riding a motorcycle than a bike.

But as Dogman said, sometimes its nice to take the slow road and just enjoy a relaxing ride. That's why I love the 3 speed switch, it allows me to do both fun and relax.

I've found 35kph is the best speed since I can just sit back and enjoy the ride. That being said, I often need to go more than 55kph to keep up with traffic. Being constantly overtaken by cars and hitting curbs and potholes is no fun.

Like many said, it's very informative and usefull !! and also usefull for newB that want a first ebike kit as well!!

I agree on the fun bar!.. is it the first reason why people are so addicted to powerfull ebike :mrgreen:

Something that woudl be interesting to compare is the efficiency depending on the motor winding you use!!

In fact a low KV motor running at full throttle ( 100% pwm) is more efficient than a high KV motor funning at low throttle... so in teh comparaison, it should make a difference..

So fo rthe motor choice, it's important too.

And i think that the speed switch only affect with the throttle signal span so to simulate lower speed setup by affecting the throttle of a high speed setup is not exactly the same. The high speed setup running at low speed is less efficient.

For those who can't figure that, just play with the ebike simulator, you'll see :wink:

Doc

El_Steak said:
John in CR said:
My only question is where's the fun bar on your chart

Yep, those hard just cold numbers with no fun factor in them. :)

For me the fun bar starts at 60km/h, that's where It starts to feel more like you're riding a motorcycle than a bike.

But as Dogman said, sometimes its nice to take the slow road and just enjoy a relaxing ride. That's why I love the 3 speed switch, it allows me to do both fun and relax.

I stop and smell the roses at very relaxed speeds too sometimes when there aren't any cars around. For me the fun factor isn't speed. It's acceleration and zippyness. I don't really like going above about 50mph on 2 wheels, but I still want my bike to be like an amusement park ride, but so much better since there's no line and the cost of electricity is really just pennies a ride. I've got a stockpile of batteries, so why not?

I agree about zippyness. There is little zip at all on some of my commuters, particularly the longtail at 36v.

But the 72v dirtbike is much more fun to ride. Still only 25 mph top speed, but it zips from 0-25 quite nice. That extra zip makes that fun steering the bike with the rear tire by using the throttle possible. Eventually of course, the commuters will end up using similar motor/controller/ battery setups. For now though, still a lot of miles before I come remotely close to using up another ping.

This is an excellent guide - but there is an interesting point to be made.

I have a similar length commute (20 mi/33km) and similar top speeds (20mph/33km.h) but am getting twice the efficiency! (200 watt-hours for these conditions vs 400Wh ) I'm riding in rolling hills, and traffic lights, so it isn't a cheater flat ride. How is this possible?

First, I am using a mid-drive geared stokemonkey motor. The motor is always going at the ideal RPM for maximum efficiency. I try to keep my cadence up around 90 RPM, which is right in the sweet spot the way this motor is geared. A hub motor is lugging down on starts and hills, sucking up amps at low efficiency.

Second, I'm riding a recumbent (SWB upright). My frontal area is about 50% of the frontal area of an upright rider. I've done a few other things like low rolling-resistance tires, that may add a tiny bit of efficiency.

Third, I limit amps/speed with a CycleAnalyst. Speed is locked at 20 mph, amp limit is about 9 amps (about 350 watts). I can defeat these limits, and go faster, but at a steep wh/mile penalty. At 500 watts and 20MPH I will use 300WH on the same trip. At 500 watts and 25MPH limit I'd use about 400 wh to go the same distance. The cycle analyst really helps in gaming wh/mile and range. You can have my CycleAnalyst if you peel my cold dead fingers off of it.

On a long commute like this, efficiency matters. Batteries cost money. Ideally a battery should do a round trip without a recharge. I can make a round trip (40 miles/67km) on one charge of a 36V, 15 amp-hour battery (~500 wh capacity, give or take) with juice to spare. If I knew I always had a charge in town, I could have bought a 10 AH battery and still made it.

With stop and go riding variable gearing pays huge dividends in terms of efficiency. I think LI-ghtcycle came up with a 50% gain on his. Pedaling at all makes comparisons impossible, because there's such a wide range of leg input that isn't measured, from spinning just to move your legs with very little torque applied at the cranks, to those who use e-assist only up hills.

Dogman,
I'm with you, but instead of riding the trails I have my zippy fun playing in traffic. Darting through the available unused spaces is my way of getting away from it all, and living in the moment due to the absolute focus required. The only thing better is riding on a very shallow incline beach at low tide, the polar opposite of riding in traffic...focus only enough to stay within a 50 wide yard perfectly smooth lane of hard pack sand with no traffic, almost no pedestrians, and almost no debris to avoid. Choosing my speed only by the amount of cooling wind I want to feel, and only hearing the sound of the ocean makes it so relaxing that I've caught myself starting to doze off on more than one occasion.

I can't believe how cool this post is (and Endless-sphere). I finally christened my first ebike build. I got 165 watt hours/mile on the first run. That seems bad. I have a 44.4V, 10AH lipo pack, road tires at 60 PSI, I did a lot of stop and go, and pedaled 90% of the time at mostly wide open throttle. I was going 26 MPH most of the time. Is this normal consumption? I have a 320 RPM, 8T, MAC geared motor.

Sorry for the double dip.

Is it better to limit speed with a three position switch, or the Cycle Analyst? I am assuming the motor runs most efficiently at wide open throttle?

donorcycle said:
I can't believe how cool this post is (and Endless-sphere). I finally christened my first ebike build. I got 165 watt hours/mile on the first run. That seems bad. I have a 44.4V, 10AH lipo pack, road tires at 60 PSI, I did a lot of stop and go, and pedaled 90% of the time at mostly wide open throttle. I was going 26 MPH most of the time. Is this normal consumption? I have a 320 RPM, 8T, MAC geared motor.

Thanks, glad you liked the info.

165 watt hours per mile is a lot. I'm pretty sure your cycle analyst is not properly calibrated for the shunt in your controller, hence the inflated reading. You can adjust it in the cycle analyst setup menu, but you need to know the exact resistance of your controller's shunt. There are some techniques to determine that, try a few searches on ES.

donorcycle said:
Is it better to limit speed with a three position switch, or the Cycle Analyst? I am assuming the motor runs most efficiently at wide open throttle?

The 3 speed switch will limit the speed by changing the throttle output. The cycle analyst is different and will limit the speed with PWM I think. I don't know if one is more efficient than the other, byt the 3 speed switch is certainly more convenient.

Back