Anderson Power Poles Melted together.

891898_10200556378375461_115450906_o.jpg

*facepalm* This is what I fixed. Even with my grainy pic you can see how poorly this was done.
Well, at least I have the proper tools to fix these problems in the future. :roll:

Ouch! I had one that looked really good but when I pulled on it the terminal came right off. You might think about some decent wire http://www.rcdude.com/servlet/the-1058/12-AWG-Silicone-wire/Detail as the Andersons do not like to be in a physically stressed situation or they can come loose. Once I learned how nice flexible silicon wire is to werq with it's all I use. Terminals no longer come loose due to vibration or are pulled apart by the way the stiff wire is bent. The right crimping tool is a good idea but I managed without them for a year or so. After a couple of failures I purchased them and wondered why I waited for failure before I got the http://www.powerwerx.com/powerpole-accessories/tricrimp-crimping-powerpole-contacts.html crimping tool to do the job.

old thread , but will share my experience. I am not impressed by andersons. They are good and dependable for light indoor applications, however for heavy duty amps they are not that great. I have to replace the pins every year- all my pins have corroded away due to moisture ( i never ride in rain) and some have arc spots (i do use pre-charge resistor), I also had 1 housing melt on me. I am only doing 20 amps nothing heavy duty- I guess i need to upgrade to higher rated andersons and find a weather proof solution.

Agree'd. Anderson are good for low power appliances . Even when installed properly the pins eventually corrode creating huge heat and the melting of the housing. Perhaps the bullet connectors with the plates may stand up better to corrosion. In my case the corrosion was due to age, I charge and keep the battery indoors mostly. .I've had both PP30 on my battery and used it fine for a few years (running it @ 21amps 1.1kw ) but didn't pay attention to corrosion and today it melted on me. The PP45 seems like a thinner pin so i don't even know if its any better. Now i know better to monitor these connections every year for heat and replace the pin's. Thanks goodness it happened at home and not on a road trip somewhere.

That's strange.

Even the andersons I have had on bike things for years that are in the weather don't corrode or fail in the way you've had, including the stuff tha'ts on the bottom of the SB Cruiser trike that's been submerged more than once in flash flood waters. Most of the time it's pretty dry here in Phoenix, AZ, but when it's wet it's really really wet.

Most of my connectors are SB50, but some are PP45, including my frequently-used 12A charger connection (charger is built in, mounted on the bottom of the trike, connected to the controller side of the CA shunt and back to the battery via the PP45's), and the phase connectors to the left side motor.

I'm curious what the specific differences are between your setup / usage / conditions and mine are, that you have such bad corrosion on them and I don't, so we can use this info to help others not have such problems.

BTW, who were you replying to in today's post? (you're the last person to post before that one, a couple years ago).

If it's useful to anyone reading this thread, I have some posts around the forum that describe the limitations of the powerpole / SB connector design, and the way they should be used to prevent problems with them. We have a knowledgebase in the process of being setup, and I'll consolidate that info there once it's ready, too.

Some of the posts s hould be in this list

Unfortunately, counterfeit Anderson PP45s abound; they are really unsatisfactory and not recommended. :(

Anderson PPs just aren't worth the trouble. Not only do you have to worry about counterfeits but most of the trouble with them is that it's hard to crimp them correctly without the right expensive crimper. I think they cost way too much for what you get. I've had good luck with Hobby King's more expensive stuff.

Back