• Howdy! we're looking for donations to finish custom knowledgebase software for this forum. Please see our Funding drive thread

Another DH Project

Wow, what process did you use to drill all those holes. The fact that it ran the length of the can was really impressive machining.

I'm with you on limiting the fun . I assume you have a CA-RC and thats how you are limiting your current. If so didnt you get the supplied 2 little shunts? My understanding of going over a shunts current range means it becomes hot and starts to act like a fuse?

I got the shunts but I can't find them. I used the molded shunt. I need to redo the wires and such.

I love the idea of the shunt being a fuse, that would be awesome. Have them easily replaceable. I just wonder when they are in a partial state of meltdown, how that will effect
the voltage reading that supplies the CA. But who cares, the important thing is that your expensive electrics are not frying.

Wow, what process did the use to drill all those holes. The fact that it ran the length of the can was really impressive machining.

When drilling the 3220 case the holes are about 2.15" long. I drill half the hole from each side and it takes about 10 minutes to drill the 60 holes on each end. They meet in
the middle and they overlap so even if they don't meet exactly there is little upset in flow.

Time to uprade to a 3220, piss the gears off and start pulling power monos

You are right. It's about time I grew a sack and got a 3220 4t. That would be sick. Anyone that has one they
want to sell, send me a PM. I will have that thing on there tomorrow, with a proper shunt and some Nano-tech
batteries. I want to make up some skinny tire wheels and see what kind of top speed I could reach also.

Uh oh! Big boy motor time!

I think Astro Flight will send me a 3220 4t towards the end of the week, thanks to Matt.

By that time I will have the shunts and new wiring done and some nano techs. I want to do
a new 'run through the gears' video with the bigger motor and the amps turned up.

motomoto said:
I think Astro Flight will send me a 3220 4t towards the end of the week, thanks to Matt.

By that time I will have the shunts and new wiring done and some nano techs. I want to do
a new 'run through the gears' video with the bigger motor and the amps turned up.

What drivetrain are you using? High end or cheap and replaceable? Hopefully all at power isn't eating up your chains and kit...

It's really just one sprocket pulling another sprocket. I changed the gear ratio for the unit early on when
I had a problem with the chain pulling so hard on the smaller rear sprockets that the chain would jump
a tooth and break. Now the whole system spins faster because I went from a 20 tooth pulley on the motor
to a 32. The largest rear sprocket has a top speed now of 22 mph. You can't help the motor by pedaling
because you would have to spin the cranks at 200+ RPM. When you are pushing 5+ horsepower the pedaling
is negligible anyway. I know I am in a minority, but I like the derailleur system. You can always just spin
everything faster if you want to transmit more power. I am considering making some larger diameter
cassette gears because that is what is really needed. The derailleur I am using is a XTR.

motomoto said:

Any word on that video? Loved the sound of your old one. Reminded me of an F1... (slightly...!)

How's the new astro? I am on track to give mine (direct drive setup) the first launch this weekend.

T

I just got home a few minutes ago and there was a FedEx sticker on my door. It is for my 3220 4t from Astro Flight.
I should have things running this weekend and do a video. All I have ever run are 3210s. The 3220
should be double the power. It will be amazing if it is. I'm like a little kid and it's Christmas.

motomoto said:
I just got home a few minutes ago and there was a FedEx sticker on my door. It is for my 3220 4t from Astro Flight.
I should have things running this weekend and do a video. All I have ever run are 3210s. The 3220
should be double the power. It will be amazing if it is. I'm like a little kid and it's Christmas.

Dude, I am super stoked for you! Free horsepower! Let me know what it's like!!!

I am preparing for the maiden voyage of the beast this weekend too

Subscribed

Actually, you will feel a bit more than twice the power because there is a larger percentage of winding that is creating power and less end termination versus the overall stack height on the 3220 than the 3210.

Your bike will be nearly uncontrollable! You will definately need to dial the clutch down to tame the beast. :twisted:

Matt

I'm so jealous right now.... :shock:
This bike is close to the perfect E bike..
A strong back wheel , perfect weight distribution, Very light weight, awesome power,9? speed transmission so climbs like a maniac yet smooth low reving motor at high speeds, FOX 8) long travel suspension, being able to actually paddle without resistance, I could go on for a while.
I think its way better than a stealth bomber or anything with a hubmotor..

Thanks for the strokes Enpro.

I have the 3220 but I am doing some work to get things ready for more power.
One of the things I have been meaning to do is make a third bearing support
for the 250 chain drive sprocket. As you can see it has a spud sticking out for
a bearing.

IMG_1404.JPG
It is threaded into a 1/2" shaft but is just dangling out there without support,
so I made this support with a 6 mm bearing pressed into it.

View attachment 2
I also have had an issue with the power pole arming switch melting down. They
are good in that when they make contact and spark, that is not the surfaces that
make contact when they are completely plugged in. The contact area when they
are plugged in is not very large and it creates a source of resistance and gets hot
and melts. the biggest size wire you can use to slid in the connector is 14 gauge.
I think that is pretty wimpy so my solution is to use 2 switches in parallel.

IMG_1407.JPG
I am also trying to clean up the wiring and use 10 gauge and not put the final
flow of power through a deans connector but a high capacity connector. I chose
a CC 8 mm barrel connector because I think I can solder 3 wires into one connector.
There is enough room. Haven't tried it yet, but I did get the shunt and extra capacitor
thing handled.

IMG_1413.JPG
I still need to make all the solder connections to plug to the CA. That and cut the motor
shaft to size and add connector to the motor and install and that is about it. Getting close. :D

Super clean as usual!

Eagerly awaiting news motomoto. Your build is inspiring!!

I'm very interested to see if the 3220 works, power-wise, through the drivetrain. If so, I'll consider switching over - to save a bit of weight, and for that awesome gears-f1-whine! Right now I'm (almost) driving straight to the back wheel with the disc-to-sprocket adapter.

Tom

I got the 3220 4 turn wired in delta. Thanks Matt and thanks to Justin at Astro Flight for giving the
proper wiring instructions. The 3 wires that are terminated together in the motor are pretty short.
One of them stuck out from the edge of the can about 3/8 of an inch. Not much to work with there.
The 3 grouped wires were all soldered together so when separated they were all tinned and ready to
go. I decided to take these 3 new wires and put a male 4 mm Castle Creations bullet on them. They
are rated at 75 amps. I put heat shrink on to cover the wire and bullet, and trimmed to expose only the male
part, then I put 2 more layers of heat shrink on just the wires and not the bullet. I did this because
I didn't use grommets for the 3 new 1/4" holes I drilled in the cover. I used 12 gauge wire to extend
the short wires into a 5.5 mm Castle Creations bullet along with the appropriate wire according to
Justin. So I put 2 wires into 1 solder pot 3 times for the 3 connectors. Tricky but doable.

The motor is amazing. So much power. It starts to taper off about 12k as the back-EMF starts to
nullify the voltage from the battery. From about 5k to 10k the thing pulls REALLY STRONG. It
is pretty bitchin. I have the CA set at 160 amps maximum.

I can feel where my 10 turn 3210 would go flat and make heat, this motor turns the amperage
into thrust. It's like going from a 250 cubic inch engine to a 500 cubic inch engine, and the 500
cubic inch engine is more fuel efficient, has twice the power and revs more. It has really made
my setup into something fantastic.

The fun part is that I spent the day at the Folsom, Ca. dirt jump park today with my two grandsons.
I had the electric bike there one time before but it just felt dangerous. This time I had the CA
and set it at 20 amps. It was great. Just thumb the throttle and you get a nice smooth push.
So, there is a couple of double jumps that you have to have some serious speed and skill to make
on a BMX bike. I have only seen one kid do it. I am no where close to having the speed or the skill
to make those jumps, and I have a sweet 26" Cannondale jump bike. Well, I was hitting it at my usual
speed on the electric and realized how forgiving the downhill bike is on the jumps with 8 and 10 inches
of suspension front and rear. If I could just use the throttle on the downhill and get up enough speed
I could make the double and the one after. The problem is, I am 54 years old and my testicles started
to tuck up inside like ovaries at about 50. Well, I am not quite bright, so I went to the car and
got my cell phone. I told my oldest grandson Evan, 10, that he might have to drive home. He just looked
blankly at me. He still doesn't get my sense of humor. Anyway, I told him that he might have to use my phone
and call Grandma if I crash.
Well, after a couple of 'not this time' last second abandon mission runs, I finally held the throttle on to just
before the jump and flew off... but not far enough. The front wheel made it, but that just made the
jump a perfect wedge to split the forks off from the rest of the bike. Man I am glad they make those
downhill bikes strong because a normal bike would have broken in two.
Well, I decided, I will just put the amps up to 30 and that will give me enough speed to clear it. On the
next run I kind of cleared it, but the rear caught the top pretty good and the suspension saved me. So I set
the amps at 40 and took another run. this time I cleared it and when I came around the bowl turn after
the jumps the grandsons had there fists in the air cheering.
It was great, but I spent the rest of the day on the jump bike doing my usual runs with smaller jumps.
I ran out of bravery for the day. I rode pretty awesome the rest of the day. The bad thing is, is that I am
getting pretty good and am ready to jump the 2 gap jumps at the end of my favorite run that I have
been avoiding. So I will have to sack up again. Oh brother.

I took some video today before we went dirt jumping but I left the camera in the truck at work.
Tomorrow we are going to the beach with the grandkids, so Sunday night or Monday I will have video
and pictures.

Haha!! This brings back the memories!

Enjoyed the story. We all remember our huge back-wheel case jumps...they're character building! If you get really good the idea is to jettison the bike mid-flight...not sure how good that's going to be on even a "light" ebike, however.

Nice work!

Look forward to the video & hearing the Astro in delta. I thought you said it was going to cause problems with the CC controller though?

Tom

motomoto said:
2 new videos

http://youtu.be/JUOXhDYfsL0

http://youtu.be/JUOXhDYfsL0

Awesome mate. Loads of fun! Get him a helmet though. sorry...

What amps were you running your RC CA on for this?

Your setup is so slick!! Gears ahhhhhhhh.... maybe a little envious at the moment:)

Our setups are so similar now, all that's changed are the frame & drivetrain. We should do some Delta vs. Wye testing when I get my RC/CA.

Would love to see that jump by the way:)

I set the CA at 160 amps max, because I don't want to be the one to find out the
limit and have to send the controller back to CC. It has plenty of power that I
have to learn to deal with.

I am kind of proud of the fact that I saw the CA read 46+ mph on the end of the second leg
of the street run and I did have a full face helmet on for that.

I think I will put some other wheels and tires on and do a top speed run. I am
guessing at 55 mph. We will see. There will be video.

There also will be video of the jump when I store up another bag of courage.
Possibly Wednesday.

Also, I have been looking forward to the April 7th Grange race on a go kart track.
I haven't raced anything in a while, and never on pavement. I am sure there will be guys
there with a lot more motor and a lot more battery. Maybe a top 5 spot I hope?

Here is a picture of the wiring. The original holes have the grommets.

View attachment 1

IMG_1462.JPG

Back