Another Dual Motor Setup – Your Opinion Requested Please

dumbass

100 kW
I am mounting 2 – 24v x 450w Ezip brushed motors on an Ezip bike in the “V” frame. I already have the 2 motors, 2 controllers and 2 throttles. They will be powered by 2 battery packs each pack is a 24v 20ah Thunder Sky pack (24v*40ah total). As of this morning my Ezip is now equipped with a Nuvinci CVS hub.

I do most of my riding in the forest preserves where my speed is limited so I could run on one motor. But now and then I hit the roadways to get to the forest preserve. For this I would like higher speeds.

My question is, is it better efficiency wise to run one motor when I am riding slow and both when running fast? Or does it really make any difference? Setting up to run one selected motor is a PITA. Not because of the controllers and throttles but because of the extra freewheels required. I can not mount a freewheel directly onto the motor and will need to use a jack shaft. But this will only require one freewheel if the 2 motors run together. But to make them independent it will require a second freewheel and this takes more space. And frankly it doesn't look as good.

If it is just as efficient to run both motors all the time I could then do as Kurt did and run the motors at 48v in series. But the stock Ezip controllers are 24v at 35a. So wouldn't I want a 48v x 70a controller to acheave the max prower from both motors? The biggest 48v controller I've seen is 1200w which is only 25a. Right??

Have you read the "can do a double burnout thread" ? Also there is another thread on running 2 motors and it sounds like it could be very efficient. Each motor doing half the work. Really good for hills. Use the advanced feature on the search and you should come up with something. If I remember, staying with separate controllers and throttles is still the most doable.. Good luck. Oops I was actually thinking more about dual hub motors duh.. sorry I didn't take into account the extra freewheel. Maybe you could do something similar to what the rc guys are doing.

dumbass said:
I am mounting 2 – 24v x 450w Ezip brushed motors on an Ezip bike in the “V” frame. I already have the 2 motors, 2 controllers and 2 throttles. They will be powered by 2 battery packs each pack is a 24v 20ah Thunder Sky pack (24v*40ah total). As of this morning my Ezip is now equipped with a Nuvinci CVS hub.
If it is just as efficient to run both motors all the time I could then do as Kurt did and run the motors at 48v in series. But the stock Ezip controllers are 24v at 35a. So wouldn't I want a 48v x 70a controller to acheave the max prower from both motors? The biggest 48v controller I've seen is 1200w which is only 25a. Right??
Ezips are currie drives.... The controllers can take 48 volts no problem; done it many times. They are dc motors so just two wires.
Forget all the extra freewheels! Not necessary. Run both motors at the same time on one chain. Use only one throttle for both controllers.
You can use one controller to drive both motors and you could also parralel two controllers to one motor.
See what I'm getting at? :mrgreen: You could run 2 controllers to two motors and parallel them with one throttle to get 70 amps output!
put your batteries in series for 48 volt. Thats 3360 Watts!! :mrgreen:
You got a Nuvinchy? :!: :!: AWesome!! One bar for throttle and the other for gearing; Nuvinchy has a twist grip...

Affliction said:
dumbass said:
Ezips are currie drives.... The controllers can take 48 volts no problem; done it many times. They are dc motors so just two wires.
Forget all the extra freewheels! Not necessary. Run both motors at the same time on one chain. Use only one throttle for both controllers.
You can use one controller to drive both motors and you could also parralel two controllers to one motor.
See what I'm getting at? :mrgreen: You could run 2 controllers to two motors and parallel them with one throttle to get 70 amps output!
put your batteries in series for 48 volt. Thats 3360 Watts!! :mrgreen:
You got a Nuvinchy? :!: :!: AWesome!! One bar for throttle and the other for gearing; Nuvinchy has a twist grip...

OK, the mechanical issue of mounting the motors and where and how to use freewheels is no problem to me. The question I have is about the throttle. I was planning to connect my 2 lifepo4 packs in parallel to get 24v 40ah. And run each motor from it's own 24v 35a controller. The problem is of course the throttle. Based on what I was thinking and what you said I can use 1 throttle to run both controllers. I am guessing the only thing I would do is plug everything up as normal except for the throttle. I would plug the throttle to only 1 of the controllers and install a jumper wire from the hall control wire of the first controller to the second controller. I think this maybe the red wire.......Do you agree?

Just noticed this...

You would want to parallel the ground and return signal lines (black is usually ground, most of my hall throttles use green as the return and red as the 5v supply line).

The red line doesn't need to be (shouldn't be) in parallel since it is the 5v source rail from each individual controller.

Hope it helps!

-Mike

mwkeefer said:
Just noticed this...

You would want to parallel the ground and return signal lines (black is usually ground, most of my hall throttles use green as the return and red as the 5v supply line).

The red line doesn't need to be (shouldn't be) in parallel since it is the 5v source rail from each individual controller.

Hope it helps!

-Mike

mwkeefer, Thanks for the info. I didn't think the ground would be an issue and i think I'll do a voltage test to determine which is the 5v return signal. Your saying it's the green wire but I thought i remembered seeing a wiring dig. of the Currie controler and they said red was the hall return. But each controller could be different. I know on my Chinese motor scooter they use yellow for the ground wires and most any otehr color for the positive. A real treat to track a problem on. Makes me wonder if they have a standard wiring color system. But bottom line your saying I have to parallel both the ground and the hall return and that helps. thanks

Back