Another Genesis v2100

TRIGON391

1 mW
Alright I posted about a year ago asking for some advice and I've been tinkering away ever since. After much trial and error, I have created something that I don't feel ashamed to post here among the other awesome bikes that read about all the time.

I started with a walmart hardtail with a yescomusa kit, 2 6s lipos and a lipo charger. The very second that bike moved me forward with electric power I was hooked. That setup got me to 30mph with a slight hill. I eventually purchased a 9 fet lyen controller set at 30 amps and two more lipos for a 10Ah pack. Imagine my excitement when I plugged 3 in series and found out I could go even faster :twisted: The bike had its share of issues though. The brakes and forks were no good and I wanted a full suspension bike so I picked up a v2100 and starting piecing a new bike together.

This is the current result:

2natr20.jpg

It's a v2100 with a farfle swing arm. I got a cheap rear shock off of ebay to replace the stock spring. I put a fork on it that's at least better than the one it came with. The front brake is an avid bb7 with a 203mm rotor.

The motor is my trusty yescomusa hub that I started with. I drilled some holes in it for cooling, replaced the phase wires with three strands of 16 awg magnet wire for each phase and ran like 10 strands of 34 awg magnet for the halls and a temp sensor if I ever decide to install one. I sprayed the inside with some dielectric grease and it's been working great. If anyone needs help getting phase wires through the axle of this particular motor, I may have a few pointers.

The controller is a crystalyte 12 fet sensorless controller. I got it from ebikessf along with a CA v2.3 DP and the folks at ebikessf even programmed the correct rshunt value for the ca before shipping it out. Quite a pleasant surprise. I went with a sensorless controller because I figured it would be good to have one in my collection as a backup. I intend to get an 18 fet in the future.

The batteries are 6 6s 5Ah 15c zippy lipos configured in 18s2p. I know a lot of people use the higher C, at least 20c usually, but I am a starving college student so I went with the cheaper option. They seem to work fine. I have a cell log and a crappy battery medic (realized it was the bad version after I got it :roll: ) I also have a turnigy watt meter and a hobbyking lipo balance charger. The balance charger proved to be excruciatingly slow so I now have a bc168 on the way. For day to day charging I have two adjustable power supplies in series. They both put out between 32-40v so I have them adjusted to 74v. They each put out 350w so roughly 700w total charging power. Bulk charging is great I think it is safer because it is easier to be present for an entire 30-60 minute charging session as opposed to leaving lipos attached to an rc charger for hours on end. I'll be honest, when I was using the balance charger I just left the batteries unattended because I couldn't sit in my garage for six hours out of the day. I check my cells religiously and I've had to decommission two batteries for a bad cell so far.

This was also my first wheel building endeavor. I laced the yescom hub into a rhyno lite 24 inch rim with a single cross pattern. Took a few minutes to wrap my brain around it but I thought it was very easy.

Before I installed the farfle swing arm, I went through all the stages of torque arm development. First no torque arm, but the dropouts started to spread a little, so no good. Then, 10mm wrench with hose clamps. One on each side. This worked for about 50mi before one hose clamp snapped during a ride. I then formulated a real solution: dogman style torque arms. Picked up an angle grinder from harbor freight and and piece of angled steel and some bolts. Took me about an hour or two of screwing around to get a good clamping torque arm on each side.

16gaj4w.jpg

ranuk0.jpg

But a few days after finishing my torque arms I found a farfle swingarm for sale in the for sale section which I instinctively purchased because I have literally dreamed of owning one.

The bike is obviously not complete yet. I need to come up with a more elegant solution for mounting the batteries and controller. Currently, I have the batteries firmly taped to these steel plates with strapping tape, but this is only good for testing because it doesn't physically protect the batteries. Won't be too hard to attach some hard cases or something like that though.

o7qbo1.jpg

After I finalize this setup, I will probably ride it around for a few months before making any major changes. The sensorless controller is nice to have, and certainly usable as a day to day controller, but it definitely is not a replacement for a sensored controller. After I hit about 30mph, I get a stuttering effect unless I am very careful with the throttle. I think the stuttering effect puts a lot stress on the dropouts. I observed that the better my torque arms got, the less of a stuttering effect I would have, but not even the farfle swing arm eliminated the problem completely. No matter what I get the stuttering at around 30mph but it seems to be common with sensorless controllers.

I am completely open to comments and criticism. I want to refine this bike as I become more experienced. Ultimately, I'd like to have a cromotor, 18fet controller and a fancy dual crown fork on this bike, but I feel I have some learning to do yet before I take that plunge. I also want to take the MSF it is free in PA but I don't have the time to do that quite yet. Probably 90% of my research for this bike came from the endless sphere and I'd probably have killed myself by now if I hadn't spent so much time reading and rereading the major build threads on this forum. I'll continue to update this thread with my progress and I'm happy to answer any questions.

TRIGON391 no criticism just compliments and a question.
First off I think you are definitely on the right track with the Farfle swing arm that should work really good for your high powered needs. I also like how you mounted the batteries on the top tube. Do you mind giving us some more detailed pictures of how you mounted the plates to the frame?
thanks...

Sure these pictures should give you a better idea. The camera on my phone is decent but not great with the light I have so this is the best I could get for the moment.

Three bolts hold it against the top tube:

2nbxd8w.jpg

One bolt in each corner, here is what I mean by that:

3a9sh.jpg

All of these bolts are tightened down and they clamp the plates onto the frame.

Big Thanks for the pictures! Wow that is KISS (keep it simple stupid). You probably already know to add protections plate on the outside of batteries in case of a crash.
I will keep an eye are you build here, looking forward to seeing your progress.

Someone sent me a pm asking me a few questions about my setup so I'm gonna answer them in this post here.

First, my bulk charging setup. I have two of these power supplies:

http://www.ebay.com/itm/251239457968?ssPageName=STRK:MEWNX:IT&_trksid=p3984.m1497.l2649

They are 32-40. Very easy to adjust. You just turn the small pot with a screw driver with a volt meter attached until it puts out the voltage you want.

I charge my batteries to 74v which is a little more than 4.1v per cell. I have each power supply set at 37v. Each power supply has a positive and a negative output. To connect them in series, I connect the positive lead of one power supply to the negative lead of the other power supply. The two wires that remain are the positive and negative which I plug directly into my battery. my volt meter only goes up to 60v, so I started with a conservative voltage like 72v or so and checked all the cells with my cell log as they charged for the first few minutes. Nothing exploded or caught on fire, so I proceeded to set the voltage to 74v for the next test and it seems to work well. I plan on purchasing an external shunt for my ca to measure the exact watt hours going in and out of my battery but for now I attend the battery as it is charging and usually unplug the charger between 4 and 4.1v per cell.

Now, for the upgrades to the bike:

The fork is a rock shox dart 3. From what I understand after reading reviews, it is acceptable for road use and light trails but not much more. I think the purchase was somewhat ill conceived. I should have saved up for a better fork because now I'm going to end up buying two forks in the long run when I upgrade. I have nothing to compare the performance of this shock to because I don't have much other biking experience. It is definitely better than the stock suspension, but I can tell there is nothing too special about its performance. It definitely flexes a little more than I'd like with hard braking, but again I have nothing to compare it to so I don't know if that flex is normal or excessive.

The rear shock came from ebay:

http://www.ebay.com/itm/New-MTB-Bicycle-Bike-Adj-Rear-Suspension-Shocks-750LBS-IN-165mm-Black-/360580502451?pt=Cycling_Parts_Accessories&hash=item53f445d3b3

Not that exact model, mine has 350lb spring. Same deal as the fork, I have no real full suspension mountain bike experience so all I can say is that it feels much better than the stock spring. The suspension makes the application of the throttle a little bit more smooth, it absorbs some of the jerkiness. I am trying to find a suitable replacement but that isn't too high on my list of priorities right now.

The front wheel is a 24 inch wheel that was on chainreaction cycles for $115 pretty sure they still have it. It's a good wheel as far as I can tell.

The schwalbe crazy bob tires are great. Mine are 2.35 inches wide and they grip the road well. They also help absorb some bumps.

The brake is an avid bb7 with a 203mm rotor. I highly recommend the 203mm rotor it is far superior to the smaller rotors. I have no rear brake at the moment, but when i get a new motor in the future I'll be able to mount a disc brake and use regen.

Overall, the bike handles pretty well. It doesn't feel like a death trap going up to 40 mph, but I cruise around at 25-30mph usually.

Hope this helps

The farfle swing arm is incredible. The dropouts are extremely solid.

This is my chain setup

33bk660.jpg

I had to put a few extra links in the chain for it to reach. I was able to adjust the chain tension pretty well because of the horizontal dropouts. I was forced to use the smallest chain ring on the front to maintain a straight chain line. This gives me a very low gear ratio. Good for starting on hills I guess, but I really only installed the chain so i can technically call it an electric bike.

I'm not sure. My chain isn't long enough to test it but I think you could. You could also weld a derailleur on it or a dr. bass torque arm with a derailleur tab

Back