Another Noob Build!

jakeyb2525

10 W
Hi all,

Im currently an E-go owner and unfortunately its not fulfilling my needs!

I'm 6ft 7" and just over 16st 108kg so i'm pushing the recommended Maximum load capacity to its limits!

The area i live in is mainly hills! so opening my door and going for a ride is not really worth it on my E-go

My last logged ride in my area:

Distance 5.8 mile
Moving time 1:03.48
AVG speed 5.5 Mph

Obviously riding on flat ground is a lot better but still not ideal due to my size and weight, the top speed gets boring and definitely leaves you wanting more!

So here i am...I've been doing a bit of research and reading, trying to figure out what build will be best for me, i don't really want to go down the dual motor route just yet as i want maximum run time, i'm just hoping i can achieve the torque i need from a single motor set up, around 18 mph top speed and 10 mile range would be ideal, but obviously my main aim is climbing power from a single motor!

this is what I have come up with:

*Quanum 2.4Ghz 3ch Pistol Grip Tx & Rx System
*Turnigy Aerodrive SK3 - 6364-190kv
*Hobbywing EZRUN 150A PRO
*Enertion Single Motor Mount Pro Kit
*4 x 3s 5000mah 2 x parallel and 2 x in series for longer ride time
*LED Program Card For Hobbywing eZRun

I'm assuming the gearing will come 14/36 from Enertion, will this be ok? or will i need a smaller pinion gear and larger drive gear for torque?

I would like to go with a wiiceiver and VESC but finding them in the UK is a nightmare!

I'm going to start ordering my parts on Monday so wanted a bit of feedback before i do, any help is appreciated, Thanks Jake

I'd say single vs dual might only be a 15-20% change in mileage.

Dual motor is tremendously better compared to single especially when climbing hills. Once you actually go dual motor, you won't bother with single motor anymore.

I would go with a faster KV motor around 220-245kv but the KV is also dependent on your battery pack.

If you go with a VESC, you won't need to buy the Wiiceiver. A similar wiiceiver is built into the VESC already.

I would go with the following single or dual motor. Dual motor will be much better.
10S/12S Voltage
SK3 6364 245kv or 190kv should be fine too.

You can also read this http://vedder.se/2014/10/chosing-the-right-bldc-motor-and-battery-setup-for-an-electric-skateboard/

I know, everyone says lower KV equals more torque but to a certain extent.

From experience, a slightly higher KV allows you to scale much steeper hills. The rolling resistance is also less on a higher KV motor.

Thanks for the info ....my options for motors are pretty limited atm due to everywhere being out of stock or on backorder!

I've got the choice of 6364 192kv or 6374 192kv ?

Dual motor is definitely in the pipeline for the future, but due to cost and it being my first build, i want to try and get the most out of a single setup, then up grade in the future.

Any info in getting hold of a VESC would be appreciated, as again i cant find any available

Delivery No 1 :D

DIYs Single Motor kit & Mini Remote are on the way

One of jamesonotc's VESC's is also on its way

I'm going to run the single 6374 on 10s for now and see how i get on, if it's not enough climbing power i might go for dual diagonal 6374

I'm still debating on getting another pair of 5s packs to use a Series/Parallel configuration for 10s 10000Mah for longer run time ??

ordering my board tomorrow and going to go for either this

https://www.skatehut.co.uk/longboards/longboard_decks/carbon_skateboards_longboard_deck_freestyle_41.htm

or this

http://www.longboardsuk.com/decks/madrid-dream-39-bird-longboard-deck-only.html

carbon battery enclosure from AD

I'm Bit worried about setting up the VESC :? but im sure ill get it done with a bit of help from you guys :mrgreen:

Like everything this will probably be an ongoing project but i'm definatly looking forward to getting board No 1 built :D

Welcome fellow "normal" sized e-board rider! (it's all relative). I'm 6'8" and 270 currently (need to go to the gym).

Looks like you are mostly setup with the VESC and motor. Deck wise i'd recommend the Madrid over Carbon, depending on the carbon's flexibility. Flex is good to a point, but makes mounting your batteries and enclosures difficult. Check out OKP and Squad's Vanguard setup to see how to do it with a flex deck. Mounting in the middle should be avoided or you will need to make it flex less or build a box that can stiffen the deck and not break. Complicates the build for sure.

VESC is really pretty straight forward. Follow the steps and make sure to configure the motor to the ESC and you shouldn't have any trouble.

If you do just give us a shout here and we'll square you away.

Are you going to use linux or one of the ports to Windows or OSX?

GL!

Thanks sl33py

Ive got BLDC installed on my mac ready to go lol

Glad you said that... i went for the Madrid in the end it and came today :D

[

Nice and wide for my size 13 feet and it doesn't seem to have much flex so happy days!

According to tracking info my VESC and other bits are all in the uk, so i'm hoping to get it built up soon :mrgreen:

VESC came this morning...ive bought a 63v 2200uF capacitor for the power input....will this be ok..?

im about to get it all soldered up :?

Thanks

Hi

Nice board dude. I do like the look of that one.
I started with a twin-tip but unfortunately it was to flexible. Now have a Kicktail, which I really like for maneuverability, but optically the twin-tip is, IMHO, much cooler.
Looking forward to seeing your complete build.
Where you at in the UK? I am down in Bournemouth.

Cheers

WeeChumlee said:
Hi

Nice board dude. I do like the look of that one.
I started with a twin-tip but unfortunately it was to flexible. Now have a Kicktail, which I really like for maneuverability, but optically the twin-tip is, IMHO, much cooler.
Looking forward to seeing your complete build.
Where you at in the UK? I am down in Bournemouth.

Cheers

Cheers bud

I'm in sunny Dudley West Midlands lol

Shouldn't be long now...just waiting for Torques single drive kit and im off....

jakeyb2525 said:
VESC came this morning...ive bought a 63v 2200uF capacitor for the power input....will this be ok..?

im about to get it all soldered up :?

Thanks

Yep - that's the one you need. 105c variant, and remember to have the white/silver connection go to your negative - wire. Place it as close to the pcb as you can squeeze it.

Look forward to seeing the build - good looking deck and should be a good setup for you!

GL!

So like i said my VESC came Today (Thankyou @jamesonotc)

Set up my station and got to it.....

Receiving just the VESC with no wires soldered was a little daunting at first :? but after a bit more reading i went out and got me a capacitor and got to it

Sorry about all the pictures but they might help another noob out in the future...

Anyway...Fingers crossed ive done it all right!! after all the soldering work was done, i nicked the receiver out my sons traxxas stampede and plugged the VESC in to my pc and ran the BLDC tool...

From that point i just followed the steps from this video

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=OtuofrQr3F8

It all seems to be working ok on the bench with those settings....the only thing i will say is that the motor spins at full rpm at only half stick on the controller :? ...the second half of the stick does nothing ???

is this something that can be adjusted in BLDC ?

Could anyone recommend some good base settings to get the best out of my setup ?

Thanks to all the people that have put up with me to this point.... you have helped a lot :mrgreen:

jakeyb2525 said:
From that point i just followed the steps from this video

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=OtuofrQr3F8

It all seems to be working ok on the bench with those settings....the only thing i will say is that the motor spins at full rpm at only half stick on the controller :? ...the second half of the stick does nothing ???

go to 2:00 minutes in the video of that link and it will show you how to set the min and max throttle range on BLDC Tool.

jakeyb2525 said:

is this something that can be adjusted in BLDC ?

Could anyone recommend some good base settings to get the best out of my setup ?

Thanks to all the people that have put up with me to this point.... you have helped a lot :mrgreen:

If you are using "current control" it will spin up immediately since there is no load. When you are on the board there will be load and it will ramp much more smoothly to full throttle.

default settings should work just fine. The only things ive had to adjust were when i used 12s and needed slightly higher voltage limit to avoid an error.

Hope that helps! GL!

Just a little update on my build...

My Diy stuff came yesterday from Torque ....

Received a massive 20t motor pulley gear! and a large black drive gear(not the blue anodized one shown on the website)

Weird gearing setup considering my requirements

Dremeled two flat spots on the motor for the 4 grub screws..

Got it fitted using all 4 grub screws and put the motor pulley as close as I could to the mount but the belt was rubbing badly on the drive wheel

So I turned the motor pulley round and got it a lot better

The Only thing that worries me now is... I can only use the two little grub screws between the teeth to hold the motor pulley.... I got it center and tight on the two flat spots...but will this be ok?

I can't use the chunky m4 bolts as the don't touch the shaft now

Anyway got it all rigged up and did a couple of test runs..... Acceleration response felt naff, but quickly realised that was down to the 20t motor pulley

On my third test run I fried my VESC with my dodgy wiring.... So I have now bought an Alien Drive dual motor 150a ESC from Bruno until I can get hold of another VESC

So back to this until my new ESC comes

Hi Jake,

I'll need to send you a new drive wheel kit once I get my new batch. Out of stock ATM. ETA 1st-2nd week of November.

That 15mm pulley won't work out. The new motor pulley will be specifically for 9mm belts.

The 9mm motor pulley will fit on your current motor shaft with no issues. I do have a 12T which I can send you now. I'll try and send it out tomorrow.

IMO, I wouldn't ride it now. I don't trust those tiny set screws IMO.

torqueboards said:
Hi Jake,

I'll need to send you a new drive wheel kit once I get my new batch. Out of stock ATM. ETA 1st-2nd week of November.

That 15mm pulley won't work out. The new motor pulley will be specifically for 9mm belts.

The 9mm motor pulley will fit on your current motor shaft with no issues. I do have a 12T which I can send you now. I'll try and send it out tomorrow.

IMO, I wouldn't ride it now. I don't trust those tiny set screws IMO.

Please do as i would like to use it as soon as my new ESC arrives from Bruno

Need some help please :roll:

As you all know i fried my VESC!

So after a bit of reading on the forum and not getting good feedback on AP ESC, it looked like the next best ESC to use was Torques DIYs 12s ESC

I did actually place an order for Torques ESC, inc UBEC and Program card, but he didn't have the UBEC in stock... plus shipping takes forever so i asked for a refund to try and find something similar in the uk... Torque kindly gave me a full refund and i bought this from HobbyKing UK

http://www.hobbyking.co.uk/hobbyking/store/__46565__TURNIGY_K_Force_120A_HV_OPTO_V2_5_12S_Brushless_ESC_UK_Warehouse_.html

I've probably ballsed up here!! AGAIN!! but as it is a 120A-HV OPTO V2 5-12S and looked identical i thought i was buying the same ESC but here in the UK

The ESC came next day, the 7A UBEC and Program card should be here tomorrow....

i got it wired up and had ago at programing it through the transmitter using the beeps and the trigger to set the values

So i've been out and tested a few different settings and i can't seem to get it to ride nice at all!

Problem 1......i've got it on the very soft start setting...it starts off really nice and smooth, but after building up a bit of speed the throttle response gets really vicious and wants to chuck you off the board!

could this be my gear Ratio ?

Problem 2.... I've been through all the brake settings...Hard Brake setting does nothing at all.....then the very hard brake (the strongest brake setting) is way too much and wants to chuck you off.... not only that, on this setting there is rolling resistance on the motor so the board won't roll and the motor will barely spin even by hand!!

I haven't connected up the Brushless RPM Sensor that came with it as i have no idea what its for...

Does anyone know if these are settings i will be able to change when the program card arrives and i can update the firmware on the ESC...?

Or have i been an idiot and bought totally the wrong ESC..?

This is the program card i have bought

http://www.hobbyking.com/hobbyking/store/__7187__Turnigy_Speed_Controller_Programming_Card.html

That ESC has the Heli firmware on it. All you will get is equivalent to drag brakes on a car ESC. I'm not sure if anyone has figured out how to change the firmware on these.

mccloed said:
That ESC has the Heli firmware on it. All you will get is equivalent to drag brakes on a car ESC. I'm not sure if anyone has figured out how to change the firmware on these.

Thought as much...read a bit about heli ESC brake problems, for some reason I thought this was a car ESC... thought i would take the risk!!!...looks like its the same esc with a different firmware :(

Oh well!!

I know i've seen it a ton of times. I also tried a couple different ESC's as i was impatient, but stuck with the recommended ones (XERUN and Mamba XL2).

Still didn't like the brakes as much as VESC. Now i just stick with VESC for any build - but to be fair i haven't tried Torque's 12s ESC to compare. After the 2nd and 3rd time doing the setup w/ Linux or ported BLDC it's quick and relatively simple.

GL!

Yeah... I can see why the VESC is so good now...

I'll definitely be getting another one, not seen any bad reports on Torques 12s ESC though

I'm building another board for my son.. he will only need 6s so think I'll try a Mamba Monster 2 for that build

Back