• Howdy! we're looking for donations to finish custom knowledgebase software for this forum. Please see our Funding drive thread

any non-thru axle full-suspension MTB besides B.D. HAL5?

morganw

1 mW
The Bikes Direct HAL5 series looks like it'll work for a project using Grin Tech's 9 Continent free hub motor, but I'd like to consider other bikes if there are any.

I like the HAL5 because while it's not a 4 bar suspension, at least it's not single pivot. Seems everyone's moved to thru axles- B.D.'s HAL6 and HAL Boost have them too.

The HAL5 Trail also comes with an old-fashioned 3x9 drivetrain. A crankset that's similar but with square-taper to use a Sempu torque sensing bottom bracket is available- FC-M3000 Acera.

I see that builders like Luna have moved on to Bafang mid-drives and those do eliminate the dropout compatibility problem, but I really like the silence of direct drive hub motors.

I know, it sux that they switch things up and throw through-axle (T.A.) into the mix, but not only that, different size through-axle.

I only know of a situation where you can buy an adapter for a T.A. to Q.R.
https://problemsolversbike.com/products/hubs/thru-axle-qr-adaptor

So it sux if your bicycle is made for through-axle, but you got all Q.R. wheels and such as spares.
I purcahsed a used T.A. wheel from the community-share bike store, not really clued into fanciness of the hub, so that wheel is "In Storage" ;)

The problem of mid-drive units then becomes the bottom bracket spacing, and the noise the gears make when riding. Some people have mentioned that the BBSxx matched with a sine-wave controller is quiet, a simple search will reveal that.

Direct Drive units are good for their silence, but bad for the drag the motor produces when there is no power, like when you run outta juice, feels like you'r riding a slightly flat tire. Add to the D.D. a sine-wave controller and they have no noise to them at all.

3x9 drivetrain is good to go, I dont believe there is a cost jump like a 10s rear gear, chain. Its all in what you already have, and for us ebikers, we tend to collect lots of stuff ;)

Bikes Direct is a solid start, their Motobecane HAL5 TRAIL Edition that you linked too looks ok, but T.A. is no go! Also Hydraulic Disc Brakes is a no go in my books.

For that price of the HAL5 being $1100USD, I am sure you can find a decent bike to suit your needs elsewhere, promoting buying used is a great way to save money, so you can spend more money on e-bike parts. Once you go e-biking, hardly use the gears. I have not installed a chain on my rear hub in years, though recently I reattached it but had to remove it because I forgot to put it back on with a tire flat in my garage, so I cut it off with an angle grinder I had handy.

Take a look on Pinkbike.com Craigslist.com or if you are in Canada there is Kijiji.com and there are other regional online classifieds, I remember one called Castanet for British Columbia Canada but I am totally sure its not well populated with for sale items, I just did a quick little in-out search, I saw something there, for all you BC hippies ;) alberta oil is the best oil in the world ;) Amurika's motto is "Build that wall" while Alberta's is "Build that pipeline"

Ah sorry for the tangent, so if you get your kicks from D.D. then look at Leafbike.com and their 1500W.
Hopefully your response wont be well here they say 250W limit.

markz said:
Bikes Direct is a solid start, their Motobecane HAL5 TRAIL Edition that you linked too looks ok, but T.A. is no go! Also Hydraulic Disc Brakes is a no go in my books.

I think he's saying the HAL5 isn't a thru axle, which seems to line up with the description that it has vertical dropouts. That bike looks like a great value. The shock looks like a no-name unit, but the "HAL" suspension looks really like a Horst-link, that they renamed to Highly Active Linkage.

Back