Any suggestions for a comfortable e-bike seat?

alpharalpha

100 W
There's such an overwhelming amount of choices in saddles and we often ride differently than the average cyclist so comfort can overtake performance here. I'm 6 ft & 210 lbs. For once in my life having an actual comfortable saddle would be such a luxury. Here is a picture of my e-bike (the rack bag on the floor contains my battery pack.) I am working on installing a lighting system so it's not all together at the moment but I think you can see the raised handlebar stem in relation to the seat position; in the past when I'm riding I tend to sit back towards the rear of the saddle.

Attachments

• IMG_3475.JPG
    IMG_3475.JPG
    63.9 KB · Views: 4,572
Currently riding recumbent trike, BUT have one used office-type metal legged plastic back/seat chair sans both legs and short arms (unfortunately), w/thoughts about adding cushions, etc. (Existing frame already supports backrest. But thought is for rider to swing "pendulum-style" - but worst than useless as a bike mount. Still, if "chair" remains hard fixed to bike frame maybe? (Additional cushion (s) optional of course. Drink holder might be nice.)

I like suspension seat post for that job on hardtail bikes. My favorite in terms of performance and price is the Suntour NCX/NEX line.

They are not cheap, but they turn hardtails into suspended bikes (for the human as the bike knows no difference).

I've been looking myself so I don't have a recommendation yet. From what I can figure out, it really depends on your anatomy and riding style so what may work for me, may not work for you. Here's a really good series of videos on bicycle saddle comfort from the point of view of a knowledgeable physical therapist.

[youtube]l-wdfEcedq8[/youtube]

Worksman 6911V 13" wide seat.

I googled that Worksman 6911V 13" wide seat, looks nice.

Whats the type of seat called that is more square-like, with no crotch "/\" - I have seen it on a few youtube videos, I think its more for a cruiser type ride, more upright.

I personally love my springy seat that I posted somewhere on the same subject. Although someone said is too stiff, but I blow threw springy seats like no tomorrow, this one for the limited non riding time I sat on it, seems to do the trick. I am more of a sit on the back edge of seat type guy (because Im so tall), I like steep but slow downhill technical rides. I prefer safe riding.

Much depends on how you ride. The seat favored by somebody who pedals hard using the seat to lean sideways on will never be the seat for somebody who sits on the seat the whole ride. For the hard pedaler, a brooks spring seat might be the ideal.

But as that video shows, don't ride on the rivet, unless you are truly just standing the pedals, as a racer does. No way his entire weight is on that nose of the saddle, even if it appears to be so.

Wide and comfy for sitting, but if too wide, then you will chafe your thighs on a 50 mile ride. This won't matter if your ride is short. Right now my longtail cruiser still has the wide spring seat on it, and it's nice. But by mile 20, it's rubbing hard on my thighs. Perfect for the usual ride, 9 miles to the grocery and back.

My favorite style seat is a spring seat, about half way between a wide cruiser seat, and a skinny seat. good springs on the seat, not those faux springs on the bell seat. No gel, I hate a seat with a huge jelly squirming around under me all day. Just some stiff foam cushion.

Get your seat at the right angle. Don't crush those nerves and arteries they spoke of in the vid, because your saddle is tipped up when your ass compresses the springs on a spring seat.

markz said:
Whats the type of seat called that is more square-like, with no crotch
If this is the one you mean;
http://www.walmart.com/ip/Schwinn-Deluxe-Stress-Free-Bicycle-Seat/17248453
it's called all hype. One of the first ones I tried. I've tried a bunch of them. None work better or last as long as the Worksman 6911V that I've found. The large 14" wide Serfas was as comfortable but cost 3 times as much and fell apart after a few months.

Suspension seat post is surely going to help make things comfortable, but as for the seat itself, there is a lot that goes into what is comfortable to you. Gels and foams are sure to help plenty with the seat itself. Usually what can cause a lot of discomfort when riding an electric bicycle is a lack of appropriate suspension, wide tires can help with both kinds of bumps but help immensely with the smaller bumps, suspension helps plenty with the larger.

That's why I've ridden full suspension, longtail, or full suspension longtail for years now. The longtail gets your ass off the back wheel, so the saddle doesn't mule kick you anymore, even without suspension.

I got sent a free Thudbuster this spring, but alas, it's post is too thick to fit the cruiser I built this spring.

markz said:

Whats the type of seat called that is more square-like, with no crotch "/\" - I have seen it on a few youtube videos, I think its more for a cruiser type ride, more upright.

I personally love my springy seat that I posted somewhere on the same subject. Although someone said is too stiff, but I blow threw springy seats like no tomorrow, this one for the limited non riding time I sat on it, seems to do the trick. I am more of a sit on the back edge of seat type guy (because Im so tall), I like steep but slow downhill technical rides. I prefer safe riding.
" noseless saddle "

cal3thousand said:
I like suspension seat post for that job on hardtail bikes. My favorite in terms of performance and price is the Suntour NCX/NEX line.

They are not cheap, but they turn hardtails into suspended bikes (for the human as the bike knows no difference).

It has a cheapo Alloy adjustable suspension Seatpost.

I do 20 mile rides and wonder if the gel seats like cloud 9 and Planet bike will work, Think I'd prefer something a bit firmer with springs that is comfortable to sit on, high and firm on the sit bones so you don't sink in.

The "experts" suggested that real springs were needed but I found that the dampening blocks of synthetic material do a fabulous job. I bought two seats and watch my wife's butt a lot. Nic view and excellent action on the seat. I see it flex and move with her weight and road irregularities. As far as I'm concerned it's a selle royale respiro, or a Brooke's full springer for three times the cost. The tards around here steal Brooke's so it's plastic fantastic for the win. With a thudbuster st I imagine it'd be nearly a Barcolounger, but the price of the thud puts me off and the selle has done me well. Ridden by a 220 and 115lb riders.

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    35.6 KB · Views: 1,899
  • image.jpg
    image.jpg
    41.6 KB · Views: 1,899
  • image.jpg
    image.jpg
    128 KB · Views: 1,899
Is this the seat you have: http://www.amazon.com/Selle-Royal-Respiro-Soft-Relaxed/dp/B00GEKL16M I like that one.
What about this one: http://www.amazon.com/Velo-Elastomer-Bicycle-Saddle/dp/B001NGF6EU/ref=cm_cr_pr_product_top?ie=UTF8

alpharalpha said:
Is this the seat you have: http://www.amazon.com/Selle-Royal-Respiro-Soft-Relaxed/dp/B00GEKL16M I like that one.
What about this one: http://www.amazon.com/Velo-Elastomer-Bicycle-Saddle/dp/B001NGF6EU/ref=cm_cr_pr_product_top?ie=UTF8

Yes, and that's a hell of a price! For that price I'm going to fit my third bike, thanks!
I thought the Velo was kinda funky and cheaply made by comparison. At $35 the Selle is a score. I was happy at $45!

markz said:
I like the setup I see a few doing.
Suspension seat post + springy seat + full rear suspension.
Full suspension limits riders to a narrow range of frame geometries. I haven't found a swing arm bike that fits my riding style or comfort needs. That said all three seem a serious overkill. My brother just score an inexpensive spring loaded seat post and likes it. We'll see how it lasts...

How do you ride with the respiro as it states it's for an upright position, but I have another selle royal seat41Q0eB5xUOL._AA160_.jpg on an old road bike and it's ok leaning forward. I read some reviews that people said they eventually sank thru the gel and hit that plastic ventilation, what do you think? How far do you ride and do you lean forward any? If the royal gel on the respiro is anything like the one I have it'd be fine.

Back