Anyone else snapped a front axle

alan c

10 W
Hi the other day I went for a ride on my recumbent trike . I came to an oval with a gravel car park all the way around so I went for a belt around it for a couple of laps, 70kph sideways great fun lots of adrenaline :twisted: . Anyway on my way home I have to cross a cobblestone bridge, half way accross a big thud wtf my left front wheel keeps going and I grind to a stop :shock: Lucky I was only doing 20 kph or so and that it didnt happen 5 mins earlier at the gravel car park :D

Pictures? I have never had a front axle on a tadpole fail but apparently it can happen. Do tell us more.
otherDoc

Single-ended axle? if so, how thick?
Or in a fork?

I've heard of it on single-ended axles that are too thin or not the right metal/hardness; too hard and they're brittle, not hard enough and they bend then shear at the threads.

Hi I dont have any pictures at the moment(not sure how to put them on here) . Its a single ended axle very hard material. It gave no warning.It kind of makes me nervous about riding on the road, If it happened at70 or 80kph I might not be around Im sure it would at least hurt a lot

Glad you're not hurt

Did it happened to the yellow trike?

To post pictures:
scroll down, click on Upload Attachements, click Browse, select the file, click Open, click Add the file.

You get all the fun Alan! Cops, lawyers, axles!

Glad to hear you are still with us mate.

Oh you break everything mang. Isn't a WOT with a busted spring fun!
Stop it with the fire gags - you'll offend someone!

Back