Recumbent Electric Motorctycle/Bicycle

tigcross

100 W
Hi Guys,

I’ve been meaning to get something up in “The Sphere” for awhile. I’ve been observing for ever and have had a few helpful bits of advice from Justin so I figure it’s time to share what I’ve learned.
_SFG0933.jpgView attachment 520150530_124817.jpgDSC_1940.jpgDSC_1941.jpgDSC_1956.jpgDSC_1957.jpg
My bike:
It’s a long-wheelbase recumbent bike/motorbike built from scratch. This is version 3.2

The fork and front wheel is from a cheep pocket bike (an X18).

The back wheel is a Crystalite Crown 100 in a 24” rim, running on 72 volt with a Lyen 18 fet controller and Cycleanylist V3.

Batteries are 24 GBS 20 AH cells with GBS’s simple shunt based BMS. After charging my resting voltage is 81.5. Depending on how I ride I can usually get to 70 KM on a charge(I’m very exited to switch to a new high output 18650 based setup as soon as I can afford it).

Human energy goes via a Rolhoff 14 speed hub back to a single speed freewheel on the Crown.

I’m using a remote steer via pushrod and understeer configuration.

Frame is aluminum, other parts are plywood, foam and Carbon fibre.

The fairing is a Windwrap LWB. It pivots up and out of the way to get on and off.

Top speed is 83 KM on the flat, but I rarely go that fast unless I want to burn a whole bunch of battery quickly.

Observations:
I’ve been riding it in this configuration since November of 2014. So far I’ve put about 3100 Km on it. If I stay within bike legal limits of about 1000 watts and 32 kph I can get as much as 80 km range. But I usually ride it a 2500W and a top speed of 45kph. That seems to be it’s sweet spot where I feel like I’m getting somewhere and do not attract too much attention. As I keep the speed low most of the time and it has pedals, I've so far been able to pass for a recumbent bicycle and have not had to register it. (I do have lights and signals though). I think that when cops see anything recumbent go by they just think "there goes another of those weird recumbent bike fools, better not stop him he'll bore me to death with talk of superior drag coefficients..."
The basic concept is a recumbent motorbike that you can pedal if you feel like it, I find that I set the speed with the throttle and match my pedaling to it with the Rohloff (love the cruise control on the V3 for this reason.

My head is at about 48 inches off of the ground while riding, which makes for good visibility, I can see and be seen. I’m convinced that this is one of the best reasons to stick with two wheels instead of a trike configuration. If I tried to make a trike that high, I would have a terrible center of gravity and huge wind resistance. But with a two-wheeler these are not issues. Despite that height my frontal area is quite small. A note, when I put the fairing on, my efficiency at speeds over 40kph went noticeably up. On the same flat stretch of road I could go 40 kph using 1000W instead of 1300W

It handles great at all speeds, and is surprisingly stable at 80 kph. It is also very comfortable and easy to get on and off of. I notice that if I lift my back off of the seatback it handles a lot like skiing, in that you move the bike beneath you while pivoting at the hips and your upper body stays vertical. The head angle is too steep though, I will change that on the next version.

The under steer configuration is (in my opinion) the only way for long-wheelbase bikes. It allows for easy on-and-off, does not have an impaling issue, is super comfortable, and eliminates the whole issue of handlebar placement vs pedaling that haunts long-wheelbase recumbents.

With the fairing and back cargo pod It does present a large side area to crosswinds, but I find it is stable and heavy enough to handle everything I’ve encountered so far.

It is a great highway machine but also quite nimble in the city. I have the power to take a lane in traffic, and as most city traffic rarely gets above 40 kph where I live, I haven’t attracted any unwanted attention (fingers crossed). I've set it up to carry kids and cargo, and use it around town quite a bit. I get a lot of comments but few people understand what it actually is.

An electric recumbent solves some inherent issues with recumbents and electric bikes. The ability to start up under electric power and then sort your pedaling out makes starting up easier, and the recumbent position allows for all of the battery weight and bulk to be kept super low. I have about 25 litres of usable battery space that is 8 inches off of the ground.

The Crown is far more powerful than I usually need, but I guess when I get some batteries with a lot more jam it will be nice. And I never have to worry that I am overpowering it. My next build will use a smaller diameter back wheel as I’d rather have the torque than the top speed.

I did crash it this summer, and it went down very nicely. I slid out on some gravel at about 40 kph. I got a good bit of road rash on my thigh and forearm but otherwise the crash was pretty manageable. I think it is kind of obvious that as we get up to these speeds we need to invest in motorcycle style protection. It is also inescapable that recumbent position bikes do not handle gravel the same or nearly as well as upright bikes. That combined with the head-whipping issues of a recumbent makes them completely unsuitable for off-road.

This bike uses the human energy directly via Rohloff transmission and chain, but my previous version used a separate generator system that took the human energy and put it into the system as electricity. It was less efficient, but very nice to use, one could pedal at a constant cadence regardless of speed or terrain (or while stopped). It also greatly simplifies the chain-line issues of getting pedaling energy to the back wheel. My concept is this: if you are sitting around on electric vehicle you might as well get some exercise.

Intended Changes:
I’ve taken this frame about as far as I intend to design wise, and learned a lot. My next frame will have:
Lower stand-over height
A pedal-to-generator system
A smaller back wheel.
A Sine Wave controller

I’m looking forward to hearing back from the community, thanks in advance for your advice/observations.

Very nice machine, I like your eclectic use of salvaged and repurposed parts.

I think if a lot of bike commuters would try an electric assisted bent they would find bents really are superior. As you say, the electric takes away the negatives of a bent, wobbly startups and difficult hill climbing.

I've tried the exact same power train on a mountain bike and my LWB bent and I get more than half again the range at about 15% faster speed on the bent for the same battery pack, controller and motor.

I'm building a streamlined high wheeler for a back country highway commuter and your idea of pedaling into a generator is very intriguing. What generator would you recommend? What efficiency can be expected?

Jonathan in Hiram said:
As you say, the electric takes away the negatives of a bent, wobbly startups and difficult hill climbing.

Y'all forgot atrocious handling, treacherous weight distribution, inability to stand for bumps, difficulty walking/parking/storing the bike, poor visibility and observability, and let's not forget leg suck.

If you use a heavy enough battery, you can mount it forward and thereby lessen a dangerously rearward weight bias. The OP seems to have done that.

Chalo said:
Jonathan in Hiram said:
As you say, the electric takes away the negatives of a bent, wobbly startups and difficult hill climbing.

Y'all forgot atrocious handling, treacherous weight distribution, inability to stand for bumps, difficulty walking/parking/storing the bike, poor visibility and observability, and let's not forget leg suck.

If you use a heavy enough battery, you can mount it forward and thereby lessen a dangerously rearward weight bias. The OP seems to have done that.

Eh, cars give me a lot more room and I can see better on a bent than a standard road bike, my head is at about the same height as that of a crossover SUV driver. I'm an old school crotch rocket rider from back when we built them ourselves and called them "cafe racers", I didn't think I'd ever be comfortable on a bike where you sit back and yet now I love it. Storage on one of my two bents is not as compact as a DF bike but walking both of them is at least as easy.

Handling to a big extent is a matter of taste, technique and proper setup, I can corner at a forty degree bank angle at speed and never have to stop pedaling for fear the pedals will touch down. Most riders of bicycles and motorcycles don't have a clue about countersteering, I've won quite a bit of money over the years betting people on which way they turn the bars to turn the bike. If people don't understand the machine they are riding and how they control it they aren't going to be able to get the most out of it in the first place.

Streamlining is possible with a recumbent which will double your range.
545207_407758269303291_537006145_n.jpg

Yes, streamlining is possible, and a decent idea. Still, between the low profile and the front fairing, this bike has got to be much slipperier already than an equivalent upright bike.

Seems reasonable, once you've accepted the recumbent's tradeoffs, to go ahead and reap all its benefits, for sure. A body sock and/or tailbox aren't hard to live with like a fragile full fairing.

Someone should make a beard fairing for these things.

DK05_WEB_MAIN.jpg

Chalo said:
Jonathan in Hiram said:

Plus, my gripe about recumbents, don't forget you're at the perfect height for sucking up car exhaust fumes !

Chalo,

"Y'all forgot atrocious handling, treacherous weight distribution, inability to stand for bumps, difficulty walking/parking/storing the bike, poor visibility and observability, and let's not forget leg suck."

I respect your experience as a bike mechanic. However, you continue to put out outdated, and erroneous information about recumbents. Making sweeping generalizations about "recumbents", is like riding a Dutch roadster and saying all uprights are slow, heavy, and poor handling.

The problems you mention were fully addressed over 15 years ago. A properly designed highracer solves all these problems. Not surprisingly, it has normal size wheels, normal steering geometry, and normal weight distribution. And yes, it is very easy to lift off the seat over bumps. I offer several examples for your edification.

http://www.bacchettabikes.com/bike/corsa-700c/

http://www.bacchettabikes.com/bike/giro-26-att/

http://www.ransbikes.com/bicycles/rifle.html

http://www.volaerecumbents.com/singles/

Warren

Lebowski,

"Plus, my gripe about recumbents, don't forget you're at the perfect height for sucking up car exhaust fumes !"

A picture is worth a thousand ill informed opinions.

http://static1.squarespace.com/static/54f88b6be4b03f809d647209/t/5596b5e7e4b0d82ab991a935/1435940328391/

Warren

I have many thousands of mile on recumbent bikes, and uprights, going back almost thirty years.

Of all the generalizations made about "recumbents", the only one that applies to a proper highracer is the reduction in climbing ability. Dyno studies of racers who trained on both upright, and recumbent bikes found about a 10% reduction in maximum output in a fairly laid back recumbent position. These anaerobic efforts apply to short climbs, but are of little consequence in endurance events, such as RAAM, where highracers do very well. The improved comfort, and aerodynamics of the highracer offset the climbing disadvantage in these events.

For an electric assist bike, the small reduction in maximum rider input is of no consequence, and the improved aerodynamics, and greater flexibility in placement of motor, and batteries are big advantages.

sendler2112,

Read this article for an idea of the pros and cons of series hybrid electric drives.

http://www.hupi.org/HPeJ/0015/0015.html

Getting into the subtleties of recumbent design, the bike you show has the cranks too far forward, putting too much weight on the front wheel, and exacerbates "pedal steer." This may seem like a small matter, but I assure you it is critical to proper handling. On a more subjective note, I am not a fan of moveable handlebar stems/risers, unless they lock securely in position. They can cause wrecks. Ask me how I know. :-(

Warren said:
Lebowski,

"Plus, my gripe about recumbents, don't forget you're at the perfect height for sucking up car exhaust fumes !"

A picture is worth a thousand ill informed opinions.

http://static1.squarespace.com/static/54f88b6be4b03f809d647209/t/5596b5e7e4b0d82ab991a935/1435940328391/

Warren

I'm talking from experience....(have a look at the e-recumbent I built)

Warren said:
sendler2112,

Read this article for an idea of the pros and cons of series hybrid electric drives.

http://www.hupi.org/HPeJ/0015/0015.html
Thanks for the link. Unless there were an off the shelf solution for a generator system I will probably have to let that concept go. It would probably require a small mid drive motor and controller running in regen mode? Although it would be nice since I am running out of gear with 53/ 11 and a 26" wheel.
As far as the short wheel base high wheeler style, they are well known and don't seem to have any real complaints other than a dificult launch due to the high crank, That model from Performer is pretty representative.

Warren said:
A properly designed highracer solves all these problems. Not surprisingly, it has normal size wheels, normal steering geometry, and normal weight distribution. And yes, it is very easy to lift off the seat over bumps.

I'm aware that highracers exist; I haven't tried one. For what it's worth, I'm not sure I've ever seen one on the road, though I do see recumbents from time to time. I guess the word still isn't out about them.

The recumbent format I have tried that alleviates many of the problems I mentioned is the recumbent trike. In he 90s, I used to work with Rick Horwitz and got to try out one of his designs. Later I checked out a Kettwiesel.

Eventually, I built my own recumbent trike. I guess you could call it a front drive delta fixed gear lowracer:

bigwheel1.jpg

Warren said:
Lebowski,

I'd love to see your bike. A link would be handy, with your thousands of posts. :)

Is this it?

https://endless-sphere.com//forums/download/file.php?id=133085

Took me 15 minutes to find this one shot.

Warren
Yep, thats it, build thread here :

https://endless-sphere.com/forums/viewtopic.php?f=6&t=50646

Lebowski,

Dang. I wish I had your electronics abilities. I pulled up a list of your posts on here, and this one didn't come up. I will read it all.

I would point out that your bike is a low, long wheelbase bike, not a highracer, so the experience of car exhaust will not be the same. If you look at the picture I linked, you will see that a highracer rider's head is in the same height range as an upright rider, depending on the seatback angle he chooses.

Chalo,

You won't be seeing many highracers. They were popular, briefly, from 2000 until the crash. Since then the boomer geeks got old and switched to trikes. Very few roadies would even try one, let alone buy one. A handful of endurance event riders ride them. A couple guys actually got permission to race in crits. In the sanctioned road events I know of, where they were allowed, they did well, but their results were not included. Ask John Schlitter and his crew about the outright prejudice they experienced, like winning in your age group and being completely ignored at the finish line.

www.vitebikes.com

Back