Anyone have Windows 10 yet?

If I go to SSD then will my system finally turn on immediately when I push the power button? 20 years of waiting for computers to boot up has bothered the crap out of me the entire time.

Startup won't be immediate. Examples:

[url=http://pcpartpicker.com/blog/5/ssd-vs-hdd-boot-time-comparison said:
SSD vs. HDD Boot Time Comparison (pcpartpicker.com)[/url]"]As you can see from the video, the SSD solidly trounces the HDD in boot performance (~22 seconds vs ~42 seconds, of which almost 9 seconds is waiting for the BIOS screen to show).
[youtube]bIrjwx6umdg[/youtube]

And this video shows HDD 61 seconds vs. SSD 12 seconds:
[youtube]KRWOxWxsOeg[/youtube]

Doctorbass said:
Yeah.. I installed the free update last week..

NOW I REALLY HATE IT!! :lol: :roll:

Why the hell i did that!!! :lol:

Doc
You can down grade back I did and I'm back to win7

I upgraded about a month ago and it was horrible. Nothing made sense and a lot of stuff didn't work. My touch pad for instance was not functioning right.
I could not scroll from the side or the bottom as normal so the most simple thing I did all the time was impossible. I did check its settings and they were enabled it was a driver compatibility issue. The next major problem was loading pictures and videos from my phone. It was so impossible it was not letting me get the stuff from my phone but pictures from EVERYTHING I clicked on where showing up and that was scary it was not what I wanted. I simply wanted to load pictures from my phone to my computer so I could put a couple on FB or the forums.

So many other things just didn't make sense. I backed out only a couple days after trying it.

Well I guess MS bombed on yet another o/s. This was their time to shine and make everything good, heck they even had a mass of people try it out and try to improve it before it officially came out. What is their problem, is it that they are trying to have an all-in-one o/s, or are they just plain to cheap, and greedy to come out with dedicated o/s's. Maybe Windows 11 will be better when it comes out in a few years time. Until then, I aint subscribing to nuffin!

I did not realize I could downgrade from Vista to XP.

I am now looking at complete desktop systems from companies that have Windows 7 installed.
I figure DDR3 is an added $125 for 4GB of ram. MS7 alone is $150. 1TB HD is another $100. Thats $400.
The added speed in CPU an extra 1.4GHz is probably worth another $100. Now we are at $500 total.
Unsure as to whether 2 or 4 cores really helps in anything other then video/picture editing.

I am unsure as to the size of these cases.
http://www.memoryexpress.com/Products/MX49932
http://www.memoryexpress.com/Products/MX49930

this one is small
http://www.memoryexpress.com/Products/MX53822

Im used to old school giants
http://www.memoryexpress.com/Products/MX49933

Lots of refurbished units out there for cheap. I will pick up an extra laptop with Windows 7, maybe a too a desktop just cuz.

Yeah Windows 10, Windows 8.1 and Windows 8 are all crap.
That makes it strike 3 and Microsoft cant be trusted anymore.

markz said:
I am now looking at complete desktop systems from companies that have Windows 7 installed.
I figure DDR3 is an added $125 for 4GB of ram. MS7 alone is $150. 1TB HD is another $100. Thats $400.
The added speed in CPU an extra 1.4GHz is probably worth another $100. Now we are at $500 total.
You can also assemble a barebones PC for under $500. Look through reddit buildapc for example parts lists. Here's one example, picked only because it's the first cheap one I saw. If you look through certain PC enthusiast forums for sale sections you can find unused Win 7 and MS Office retail keys for cheap ($50 or less).

Don't use windows 10 use windows 7 or xp sp3 windows 10 is full of bloated shit services and stuff that does not need to run avoid it.

mark5 said:
markz said:
You can also assemble a barebones PC for under $500. Look through reddit buildapc for example parts lists. Here's one example, picked only because it's the first cheap one I saw. If you look through certain PC enthusiast forums for sale sections you can find unused Win 7 and MS Office retail keys for cheap ($50 or less).
I built a Hackintosh for a relative that was sick of Windows, it works well so there is another option out there..
http://www.hackintosh.com/
I used a motherboard recommended by Tonymac86 site and I used their drivers/utils to 'fool' Mac OS into thinking its using real Mac hardware...
http://www.tonymacx86.com/yosemite-desktop-guides/143976-unibeast-install-os-x-yosemite-any-supported-intel-based-pc.html

Apples MAC OS is free to download as they assume you can only use it on Apple hardware which is technically true if you don't add the extra drivers to make it work on a PC motherboard..

Arlo1 said:
Doctorbass said:
Yeah.. I installed the free update last week..

NOW I REALLY HATE IT!! :lol: :roll:

Why the hell i did that!!! :lol:

Doc
You can down grade back I did and I'm back to win7

Thanks for the info Arlo.

TheBeastie said:
mark5 said:
markz said:
I built a Hackintosh for a relative that was sick of Windows, it works well so there is another option out there..
http://www.hackintosh.com/
I used a motherboard recommended by Tonymac86 site and I used their drivers/utils to 'fool' Mac OS into thinking its using real Mac hardware...
http://www.tonymacx86.com/yosemite-desktop-guides/143976-unibeast-install-os-x-yosemite-any-supported-intel-based-pc.html

Apples MAC OS is free to download as they assume you can only use it on Apple hardware which is technically true if you don't add the extra drivers to make it work on a PC motherboard..

Bro, this is the best news yet. So I need Intel cpu, and certain motherboard and have a "Hackintosh" computer. very interesting, so then its just an Apple computer. Can I use windows pc programs on it, or is that just a dual boot setup. I guess you can buy Office for Mac, but I wonder if its compatible with Office PC. Isnt Macintosh older apple computer? they just use the term "Mac" now they use the term "i" in ipod etc.

What kind of costs am I looking at for Hackintosh, besides the hardware (mobo, cpu, fan/cooling, ram, hd, case, psu etc)?????

Looking at what I have to do, lots of steps, LOTS! Interesting though!

I've had a strange development in the 3 or 4 yo pc. 4core 3.x gh pentium, win 7 the whole time.
First pc ive built that was able to use 'hybrid sleep', where inactivity will 'shutdown' the pc, and a keystroke or click will wake it back up in an instant. Really neat, it's like hibernation I guess, but better integrated.

Anyway, several months ago I got the system tray notification for 'free' win10, and was like wtf. A little research showed this would be offered to all recent windows license holders. That was enough for me to know I didn't want it.

After maybe 2 months of dealing with the stupid notification, and failure to remove, it finally uninstalled itself from running in processes/services about the time Dauntless started this thread.

Right about the same time, I started experiencing extreme 'stuttering' when coming out of hybrid sleep. The mouse report would drop to almost nothing, and videos/audio would garble and skip. The only thing that seemed to work was a reboot, which is a pain when you have about 30tabs open in IE with no easy way to save that state.

Anyway, I wonder what the problem is? In 'resources' the problem appears to affect the processing balance across the cpu's- when there is an issue, #0 gets floored, while the other 3 generally are freaking out or almost nil. On the program usage percentage table, IE shows highest of 4 or 5 programs at around 6-11, but that doesn't seem that abnormal to me?
2.png

I think normal operation looks more like this.
3.png

It has 'fixed' itself 1 time by allowing restart&wake of hybrid sleep. Every other time required a reset to fully eliminate whatever the problem was. Any ideas?

I use System Explorer program, way more in depth from the Windows one.
http://download.cnet.com/System-Explorer/3000-2094_4-10784281.html

Try deactivating your sleep modification and see what happens.

Task Manager doesn't provide enough info. Instead, get the Windows Sysinternals tools and use their Process Explorer and others.

Example of what to look for are in the first two answers by Synetech and climenole here: High CPU usage after waking up from sleep (superuser.com).

Also see Using SysInternals Tools Like a Pro.

And now I vaguely remember having the same stuttering audio problem after waking. It must've been either Win 7 or 8.1 that I had installed on a temporary use PC. Had to disable hybrid sleep.

I upgraded to win 10 from win 7 several weeks ago on my 10 year old HP laptop with 3 GB RAM. I had recently installed an SSD drive and I was very happy with win 7. The upgrade to 10 was pretty painless.

Most of my apps still worked. The only exceptions were Microsoft apps. Windows live moviemaker no longer works properly (preview screen is always black). The new Microsoft apps for video, picture viewing and music do not work. They crash or can't find things. The Microsoft antivirus makes the pic unusable whenever it starts doing a scan. Cortana wants to know too much personal info before you can use it. There have been a couple times when windows wouldn't shut down and I had to power cycle it.

I do computer stuff at work, and tried a lot of googling and arcane fixes to get the apps working but nothing helps yet. Some blogs I read say Microsoft is trying to figure out how to fix it. Not a great vote of confidence...

I can do 99% of what I need to so I will suffer through it but it seems pretty much like beta code currently.

Warren

Cortana wants to know too much personal info before you can use it. There have been a couple times when windows wouldn't shut down and I had to power cycle it.

I do computer stuff at work, and tried a lot of googling and arcane fixes to get the apps working but nothing helps yet. Some blogs I read say Microsoft is trying to figure out how to fix it. Not a great vote of confidence...

I can do 99% of what I need to so I will suffer through it but it seems pretty much like beta code currently.

I always have, put in anonymous names and anonymous email addresses. Windows 10 seems to be collecting personal info, and selling it and/or using it like Google. Yahoo mail now, wants your cell phone number to open an account. Over the years, I have probably 50+ email addresses, only 3 or 4 I ever use. The rest I just forget about, used in forum signups or other anonymous stuff.

I think privacy is a big concern now. I dont trust Windows 10 at all. Never did trust Google after I read that they save absolutely EVERYTHING including your emails, sure the anonymize your IP, but 10 years later they can still get that info.

Thanks Markz and Mark5.
I'll try those more extensive monitors before completely disabling hybrid sleep. It just started happening, so I'm thinking it is software related and hopefully fixable without considering a wipe and fresh install.
Also I didn't even think it would be common enough to warrant a goog, but am thinking otherwise now. Thanks :D

markz said:
Bro, this is the best news yet. So I need Intel cpu, and certain motherboard and have a "Hackintosh" computer. very interesting, so then its just an Apple computer. Can I use windows pc programs on it, or is that just a dual boot setup. I guess you can buy Office for Mac, but I wonder if its compatible with Office PC. Isnt Macintosh older apple computer? they just use the term "Mac" now they use the term "i" in ipod etc.

What kind of costs am I looking at for Hackintosh, besides the hardware (mobo, cpu, fan/cooling, ram, hd, case, psu etc)?????

Looking at what I have to do, lots of steps, LOTS! Interesting though!
Yeah you gotta be keen to do it for the most part.
The main bit that allowed me to really kick start it was having to use a dodgey mod util called "VMware unlocker" for MS Windows VMware. Its what that allowed me to run a MAC OS X install so that I could build the USB MAC OS X installer for the PC, so I could install a 'native yet modded' MAC OS X install raw onto the PC computer hardware.
For the most part you only need the above mentioned setup to kick start it all if you don't have access to any real MACs which I don't.

http://www.sysprobs.com/vmware-workstation-8-0-8-0-1-unlocker-to-run-mac-os-x-guest-in-windows-7

Also on a side note I was just browsing around and saw this mini PC MeeGoPad-T04 which I think is a pretty good deal $129.
I been looking around for mini PCs for friends and family who don't need a powerful PC but still need something up to date for web browsing etc.
http://www.banggood.com/MeeGoPad-T04-Mini-PC-Dongle-Quad-Core-Intel-Atom-Cherry-Trail-Z8300-2GB-32GB-Licensed-Windows-10-p-998729.html

I bought a Teclast X98 Tablet (64GB/3G) for like $200 with keyboard case, Has Windows 10 and Android 5 dual boot... I got this half out of interest and guilt of watching some of my relatives I have handed down my iPads to now struggle to load the latest chunky web site pages as old gen iPads are getting a bit too old for it all. Also I really like built in storage of 64GB, I hate SD storage as its slower and uses more battery then built in eMMC storage.

The Teclast X98 has the same retina display Apple use on their iPads and I can confirm from many months of using it the display quality is absolutely top notch..
After buying 3 generations of Apple iPad (all 64GB 3G models) I was getting a bit sick of the price just going up while the competition was catching up..
This Teclast x98 tablet has an Intel Z3637 bay trail which has a fair amount of grunt for a tablet.
One test I like to do when browsing tablets etc at big department stores is load up http://www.heraldsun.com.au/ on the Tablet and scroll/swipe up and down etc because this web page is quite chunky and complex full of images etc a lot of cheap low end Tablets struggle with it.. but my Teclast X98 rips through it like its loading up on my main PC.

So when I saw the next generation Intel Cherry Tail based mini PC here I decided I should post it here...
This mini PC MeeGoPad-T04 would out do a lot of old PCs people are trying to upgrade to Windows 10 simply because its got built in solid state storage (eMMC) while eMMC isn't as good as sata SSD storage it still out does mechanical HDs in general Windows usage where you go nuts hearing your HD grind away for no particular reason. Would have to see a review where they do a storage benchmark to see how fast the built in 32GB flash storage is, some manufactures are twice as fast as other eMMC solutions...

Its still only got 2GB ram and squeezes Microsofts fat arse into its 32GB eMMC storage so there won't be heaps free, you can add SD storage to it or a USB drive etc.. Still worth a mention and I figured it might be of interest to anyone here.

Back