anyone remove an axle from a rear hub motor?

ebike11

1 MW
need to replace mine on a QS205. The stator is fine but the axle threads are destroyed. I removed both bearings as well and will buy new ones.
I also removed a clip ring that was on the axle shaft as well
Is this possible to remove with basic tools? I have no access to a press. Thanks

Press. Easiest and best way . Sorry I know that isnt what you want to hear. Its true tho.

Without a press, it's going to be extremely difficult and in my opinion not worth it. Have you considered going to a local mechanic shop and asking if they have a press that you can use or pay them to press the axle out for you? They typically have them for pressing out suspension bushings and bearings. It might cost $20 or $30 for them to do it but it will take minutes and save you hours of frustration and cussing.

Without a press, it's going to be extremely difficult and in my opinion not worth it. Have you considered going to a local mechanic shop and asking if they have a press that you can use or pay them to press the axle out for you? They typically have them for pressing out suspension bushings and bearings. It might cost $20 or $30 for them to do it but it will take minutes and save you hours of frustration and cussing.
Ok thx Ill try to find a place

Yes I see. How about this method?
I have thought about that before, doing it like that. As long as the fingers of the puller are not on the soft aluminum.. get a big washer , 1", and fit it over for the fingers to sit on... THAT SHOULD work if you keep the puller ( as its pushing) absolutly straight.. if it begins to get cocked to the side , stop and reset the fingers.

I think you might be able to do it with a big puller, used to push the axle out. Heat will help alot here, warm up the hole so it expands.... shrink the shaft... ice cubes...

How about this
One thing I would do.. is leave the nut on the end of the axle shaft to hold the pint of the puller... so t doesnt " skip" off the top of the shaft. I know you have it sitting in the little shaft dimple.

And by the way. This is how you end up bending pullers, just a fyi. By using them to " push" instead of " pull".. but it works sometimes. Dont force anything.. if it is gonna come, it will come... straight.. and easy... but if you use an angled force, or the puller screw bends, you are in for trouble cause it is pushing in vectors not designed for.... and might bend/marr something.

I car jack might be able to be set up as a crude press... if you can sontraing the degree of freedom of the jack and attach it to the press frame ( the homemade press frame) ..

Good luck. Dont wreck that nice big puller.

Ebike11 a planet to far away it doesn't have a press ? All inhabited planets have a press. Now I need to know where you are from please.
It's a lot of work you got to pull your wires you have to find a replacement axle and it's easy to mess up if you don't get the stator flat and push the axle straight.
Where did you get your replacement axle ?

One thing I would do.. is leave the nut on the end of the axle shaft to hold the pint of the puller... so t doesnt " skip" off the top of the shaft. I know you have it sitting in the little shaft dimple.

And by the way. This is how you end up bending pullers, just a fyi. By using them to " push" instead of " pull".. but it works sometimes. Dont force anything.. if it is gonna come, it will come... straight.. and easy... but if you use an angled force, or the puller screw bends, you are in for trouble cause it is pushing in vectors not designed for.... and might bend/marr something.

I car jack might be able to be set up as a crude press... if you can sontraing the degree of freedom of the jack and attach it to the press frame ( the homemade press frame) ..

Good luck. Dont wreck that nice big puller.
Thx for the advice..would you know if there is a woodruff key or any other thing that needs to be removed before trying to push out the axle? I removed the C-clip ring from the axle already

Thx for the advice..would you know if there is a woodruff key or any other thing that needs to be removed before trying to push out the axle? I removed the C-clip ring from the axle already
If it has a keyed shaft, the key will come out with the shaft. Sits on shaft as it is pressed in, comes out when it is pressed out.

The circlip is the important thing to take off before you start pushing.

maybe rethread it a smaller threading. It would bring the axle width down at the ends but where it contacts the frame stays the same. seems easiest and dies are cheap and easy to use

or maybe drill the center of the axle/shaft and tap the inside and bolt through there. taps are pretty cheap too.

Last edited:
Maybe you can show us a pic of the axle and how bad it's damaged I'm curious just to get a look how naked you got it do you have a replacement handle in your hand please answer

Maybe you can show us a pic of the axle and how bad it's damaged I'm curious just to get a look how naked you got it do you have a replacement handle in your hand please answer
Hi yes I ordered a replacement qs205 axle. Ill get a pic asap

Attachments

• 20230429_210429.jpg
    20230429_210429.jpg
    728 KB · Views: 5
  • 20230429_210416.jpg
    20230429_210416.jpg
    716.1 KB · Views: 5
  • 20230429_210344.jpg
    20230429_210344.jpg
    693.3 KB · Views: 6
  • 20230429_210405.jpg
    20230429_210405.jpg
    705.8 KB · Views: 7
  • 20230429_210351.jpg
    20230429_210351.jpg
    697.5 KB · Views: 6
maybe rethread it a smaller threading. It would bring the axle width down at the ends but where it contacts the frame stays the same. seems easiest and dies are cheap and easy to use

or maybe drill the center of the axle/shaft and thread the inside and bolt through there. taps are pretty cheap too.
IF I was fixing that axle.. I would

Remove

Weld up metal to the point.. Tig a few beads on the axle where it needs the metal ... where the old threads failed...

Cut the threads back into it with a lathe

put it back together.

But in all honesty sourcing a new axle is probally cheaper and better.

You dont want to " thread something smaller " if the " threads of the bigger diameter have laready failed"... IF something fails, put something stronger there.

IF a bolt fails, .. are you gonna replace with a smaller bolt? No. Get a bigger bolt. Bigger bolt has less chance of failing.

The hardest part of what i said, when it comes to fixing that axle.. is the lathe threading. Only a decent machinist with time can thread on a lathe easily. But I could do in 20 min once set up/.

You dont want to " thread something smaller " if the " threads of the bigger diameter have laready failed"... IF something fails, put something stronger there.

IF a bolt fails, .. are you gonna replace with a smaller bolt? No. Get a bigger bolt. Bigger bolt has less chance of bigger
Bigger is better but if he uses a rigid torque arm and not stressing the threads I think it would be an easy fix he could get away with. It would be a bit weaker but axles aren’t commonly stripping and looks like it somewhat rusted away.

Can it simply be pressed out? it looks complex:
US $18.00 | Axle for QS 205 V3 4000w 155mm Dropouts E-bike Motor

Multiple versions.

What dropouts will it be sitting in?

Last edited:
Bigger is better but if he uses a rigid torque arm and not stressing the threads I think it would be an easy fix he could get away with. It would be a bit weaker but axles aren’t commonly stripping and looks like it somewhat rusted away.

Can it simply be pressed out? it looks complex:
US $18.00 | Axle for QS 205 V3 4000w 155mm Dropouts E-bike Motor

Multiple versions.

What dropouts will it be sitting in?
Yes thats the axle i bought.
There doesnt seem to be multiple versions. Just the standard replacement

Back