Apparently ChatGPT can help you write code / programs?

I do see this a the democratisation/unleashing of lawlessness in software as you now can create fairly complex programming with absolutely zero programming knowledge
After implementing some, and later getting a corrupt file, got me wondering how careless some of the AI-coding might be and even though I am still using some useful generated code, I'm on hold therewise until I give it more thought on backing up early and often before implementing mystery-generated magic code, when my data is my bread and butter or broke.

it can't do math, and lies :whistle:

After implementing some, and later getting a corrupt file, got me wondering how careless some of the AI-coding might be and even though I am still using some useful generated code, I'm on hold therewise until I give it more thought on backing up early and often before implementing mystery-generated magic code, when my data is my bread and butter or broke.

I think i said this up higher in the thread but if you are not at least mentally executing or thinking out the code and how it will work, you are going to end up with huge problems later down the line.

The problem is, taking this time to vet the code severely reduces the productivity you can gain from it.

Here's what i got when i asked it to convert a color palette from RGB hex code to HSL.
Left: using a program called 'gpick' on linux to convert the colors ( and i added another color ).
Right: ChatGPT output.

The results are bizarre. The toning is similar, but not identical. The hue and saturation are completely wrong.
It understood it needed to output CSS, but forgot the semicolon at the end.

ChatGPT Fuckup.png

In this case, i could visually see things were wrong immediately because i'm using a jetbrains IDE that shows CSS colors.

...not so easy when it gives you garbage code!

I suggest that you leave a comment in your code for anything generated by these kinds of technologies that states it was generated by ( Insert LLM here ). That way, you know what code is suspect later down the line :mrgreen:

Yes...

And backup early, backup often, and don't forget to backup, is always something to keep in mind for any data that is important to you.

I also highly recommend using a versioning system, consistently, for all data files of any kind.

And always use "save as", never "save", so you never ever write over a saved file. In any program that allows user-modified keybindings, for instance, I always change Ctrl-S to SaveAs instead of Save. (there are also key macro programs you can run in the OS to capture and alter key sequences to do that for you if you can't do it in a program). Could save your life someday when you accidentally overwrite the working version of something with a trashed / buggy / whatever version. ;)

All of these things have saved thousands of hours of my work in various creative efforts, mostly in my music creation (all the way back to floppy-disk-only machines).

Ive had a little play with it with some SQL code I wrote to intentionally fail to see if it could suggest a fix. It was nothing special just a data type mismatch but did suggest the correct answer. Another use I've found was to explain a powershell script to me as I wasn't sure what it was doing.

I got to be honest - it’s stuff like this that makes me glad I am at the end of my career rather than the start of it. I am a Wintel System admin looking after about 100 servers with a team of two. At the moment things are quite safe but over the years I have seen workload decrease as hardware and software gets better. I only have 5 years left to retirement (maybe a couple more than that if I want to work for play money) and I can see the way it is heading. I think it will be a case of OSs are to a large degree self healing - self patching - self whatever I do to them. There will always need to be someone but they will not have as much to do, or more likely will be fewer staff and looking after more servers.

I kinda have been through this once before. My Y2K project was working in the middle of the range (sort of) IBM mainframes. During the run up AS400s (small systems) were getting more powerful and moving up in what they could do. IBM then reduced the minimum spec needed for MVS (their big boy OS) and offered really good deals … “as you have to recompile/re-write your code any way”. The result was that after Y2K the middle ground (VM/VSE) pretty much disappeared. I found myself in a situation where 15 -16 years worth of experience was pretty much worthless.I don’t fancy it again.

I figure I’ll see my 5 years out. That will get my pension and me debt free. I can work a couple of years and my pay will be totally disposable so a couple of years of that will have a nice play fund. Then call it a day. Spend time playing VR games - watching movies - reading and messing about on my e-trike. Got to wonder where battery/motor technology will be by that time.

Chat GTP can now search the internet too. before it was before 2021 only.

Lately i have been preferring using phind.com over ChatGPT because there is now a significant disparity in the quality of answers given, ChatGPT seems to regularly provide worse answers now.

I have 15 years of programming experience so i still don't find AI very useful because the answers are at, or below my level of understanding, but rarely above.

Some academic research i've been reading shows that useres with a low skill in the topic they are asking about can certainly benefit from AI, but very skilled people see little to no benefit from it. That's mostly been the case for me.

We do a have a member of the ES Dev team who has really slow typing speed and he uses it to keep up with the rest of the team. most certainly the benefit to him is massive.

I think what AI is is an equalizer and there is no replacement for highly skilled programmers and also probably not technicians.
So if you want to stay relevant in the future, start leveling up those skills.

I find phind to be useful mostly in arenas that i don't know ( example: frontend javascript, which i do little of ), or for having it do a first pass of research for me, asking a question like:

How do i, in apache, use an setEnvIf expression to exclude an access with a query variable?
^-- this is a mega specific question that would take pages of reading to come to an answer in google. Phind gave me a correct answer in the second try, which was great. That saved me about 10-30 minutes of reading obscure documentation points and stack overflow posts.

One Achilles heel of AI is that it is computationally *wildly* expensive at the moment, and therefore a mass expansion of it's usage will be at odds with carbon emissions goals in western nations. The west could also potentially lose Taiwan as a chipmaker which would also monkey wrench it's advancement.

I say if it can enhance your job, then use it and follow the stream. Survival of the fittest is all about the ability to adapt to new conditions, and change is the only constant in tech..

Back