Aussie 200 Watt Limit Thread

+1 to a speed limit not power

Ive got 2.8kw on tap but today for the hell of it trialled 10amps 70 something v and I found around American 750 was enough to help me up hills and cruise in pedalling speeds else where.

Getting up steeper stuff is the problem and Id stop up the amps to still go up in pedalling speeds around my suburb in Australia it can get steep on the range.gap.png

Just wondering if I've done the right thing ordering a BBS02 500W kit for my velomobile. NSW law now states a max. of 250W for assist motors.
I can use the Bafang display to regulate the output of the motor to the legal limit and it is a crank motor so will be almost out of sight from the driver's seat.
Would both the display and a possible dyno reading show a low enough power limit if I had to show it to the powers that be?
I could also run it as pedelec only (i.e. not use a throttle)

Any replies, especially Aussie gratefully received.
(I'm not paranoid - and who wants to know?)

signed,
injured ex-motorcyclist

I've been running a "500" watt hub motor on my trike for a few years. Never even had a second glance.
Helps that it's hidden in the small rear wheel with panniers on either side.

Add to that I'm not a dick where and how I ride, and I don't have any concern at all.
In reality, that little hub motor cranks out closer to 1000W peak.

Jason.

Diamondback said:
Add to that I'm not a dick where and how I ride, and I don't have any concern at all.
In reality, that little hub motor cranks out closer to 1000W peak.
Jason.
I'm glad to hear that Jason. We don't have any bike lanes or paths here (although the ignorant adults who
ride at speed without a warning bell on the footpaths seem to think so).
Yes, I'll leave the attention-seeking to the helmet-less riders on 2 stroke assisted bicycles proceeding the wrong
up one way streets. Those gearless motors would have to be cranking out more than our legal limit of 1/3 HP.

I'm happy to glide on by and enjoy the journey.

David

Anyone seen or read "He died with a felafel in his hand"? In typical Aussie style there's a character called The Decoy who is always taking one for the team while everyone else glides by in life.

Those toothless kids on the 2 stroke bikes always pulled over by the cops - say hello to The Decoy.

Reflector said:
We don't have any bike lanes or paths here.

David

That's a shame for you.
Just one of my local councils has over 500km of shared paths.

For example, I can ride the entire 22km trip from home to work and not have to ride on one road.Sure I have to cross a few, but I'm not riding on them.

Luckily, it seems that more and more councils are starting to believe in the "If you build it, they will come" principal.

Jason.

Diamondback said:
Reflector said:
We don't have any bike lanes or paths here.

David

That's a shame for you.
Just one of my local councils has over 500km of shared paths.

For example, I can ride the entire 22km trip from home to work and not have to ride on one road.Sure I have to cross a few, but I'm not riding on them.

Luckily, it seems that more and more councils are starting to believe in the "If you build it, they will come" principal.

Jason.
All those dedicated cycling Kms; what a lucky 'bar steward' thou art!
We certainly need someone up here to let council know that basically all to be done would be drive slowly in one of their
trucks (lights flashing of course) open a door and poke out the spray painting nozzle to delineate the new bike lane.
Even trying to galvanise the 3 local bike shops into action has proved fruitless......Now you know what I mean by glide on by.

Samd said:
Anyone seen or read "He died with a felafel in his hand"?
Just had a look through the Wikipedia synopsis and seem to recognise a couple of my old flatmates, although I don't
ever remember us having a surfeit of Daves.
(ah those bourbon-hazed, beer befuddled days of my early 20's).
I must check out the book...

Just had mt 1st experience with a Policeman today who took off after me and chased me down without me knowing and i tell you this. This cop new what he was on about, After seeing me approach a roundabout with lots of traffic i decided to cross the road at a set of crossing lights near a school and legally crossed them but this is where the trouble began. I then rode onto the footpath and at around 15km/h i went around the corner to see the policeman turn through the roundabout and head towards me but i was going slow. I proceeded to cross back onto the side street and rode up behind the stopped police car when the officer jumped out and stopped me.
The 1st thing he did was ask me to turn the bike off which i did and then he said is it off, i replied yes. The officer then reached for my throttle and said you have a throttle so that makes this a 200 watt limit, Oops, lol.

We chatted for a while as he asked me questions about the bike and he explained the rules to me which i already new but had forgotten about 1 of them which was" you are not aloud to ride on the footpath unless you are under the age of 12 or are riding with someone under the age of 12 yrs old. Afte a few minutes of chatting he let me go with a few wise words saying to me, some other officers might not be so forgiving as i clocked you at 52km/h going up that hill, BE CAREFULL.

I said thanks and continued the last 15 meters into my driveway. I so wish most officers could be like that, I wasnt doing anything stupid but going a little too fast but still pedalling which he sore the funny side too it.

TotalConfusion said:
you are not aloud to ride on the footpath unless you are under the age of 12 or are riding with someone under the age of 12 yrs old.

You are also only required to have a rear brake, front is optional. These rules were made a long time ago and out of date.
Trouble is the pollies won't do anything unless driven by popular opinion and that's not likely to happen for a long time.

It's only a matter of time until the cops hold road blocks on bike paths so I have tried to keep within the law and stuck to the smaller 250w motors. Funny cause I can do 40kph with out the motor and only 30 with it, but I bet they only pull over the motorised bikes and not the Lycra lads going fast.

You are allowed to ride on the footpath in Tassie:

Bicycle riders of any age may ride on a footpath in Tasmania unless such a use is prohibited (usually by signs) (rule 250(1); maximum 2 penalty units). There are some paths which will indicate that they are either shared or separated. This is evidenced by sign posts or painted symbols on the path.

Modbikemax said:
It's only a matter of time until the cops hold road blocks on bike paths so I have tried to keep within the law and stuck to the smaller 250w motors.

That happened to me. Well they weren't blocking the path to pull up cyclists, they were parked on the cycle path while doing RBT on the nearby road. There was no way around them 'cept through them.

I had to ask how I was supposed to get through (it was that bad, didn't they think that cyclists actually used the path?)

Anyway, no questions were asked about the bike. :p

Modbikemax said:
You are also only required to have a rear brake, front is optional.

Far as I know, the national law regarding brakes is "at least 1 functional brake" it doesn't specify what one or how it works, just needs to be functional.

As for the footpath rule, check it up in your state as they are all different. NSW it is illegal as said, but ACT and TAS are fine. A bunch of the petty by laws are different state to state, for example an electric kick scooter/skateboard or segway are illegal in the ACT (but segways are allowed on the cycle path around the lake, and only there) while Queensland they are all fine on the footpath/cyclepaths anywhere, and only an electric kick scooter user must have a helmet.

A quick google search will tell you what the laws are in your state. Better to know, ignore (safely) and claim innocence if caught than to not know and get caught. Just be safe and most people don't have a problem.

There are no 'national' road laws. It's a miracle we drive on the same side. I still remember when NSW painted the lines on the road yellow so you always knew if you crossed the boarder.
WA is another country joined to the eastern states by a land bridge , 1 road and 1 railway line.
We are a common wealth of States which simply means if we make more money than you we have to give some of it to you.
The idea of anything being 'national' is a fantasy. If there is any push to standardise laws across the states bikes are going to be way down the list.

Tom L said:

Bicycle riders of any age may ride on a footpath in Tasmania unless such a use is prohibited (usually by signs) (rule 250(1); maximum 2 penalty units). There are some paths which will indicate that they are either shared or separated. This is evidenced by sign posts or painted symbols on the path.

Hey Tom, When you say 2 penalty units are you reffering to driving points? & if so how many do you get in Tassie on your Licience?

Architectonic said:
Despite your cynicism, Australian laws between the states in general are far more similar, than say the differences between laws in the various states of the USA.
Do they still have that rule in SA where if you ride a motorcycle or scooter under 20kph you don't need to wear a helmet?
I remember riding through Port Pirie in the 80s and no one was wearing a helmet while riding scooters and they were everywhere.
Quite unusual since at the time scooters were not very popular anywhere else where helmets were mandatory.

TotalConfusion said:
Tom L said:

Hey Tom, When you say 2 penalty units are you reffering to driving points? & if so how many do you get in Tassie on your Licience?

A penalty unit in Tasmania is currently $140. So two penalty units is $280.

It's interesting that you can save a hundred a month on fuel, and the risk of penalty is quickly negated.

Samd said:
It's interesting that you can save a hundred a month on fuel, and the risk of penalty is quickly negated.
I wished I saved $100 a month, since hurting my back it costs me that a fortnight in fuel! If there was no loss of points it'd be well worth just keeping on paying the fine :lol:
A proper electric moto is the way to go if absolutely must do high speeds on the road. Yeah it'll cost you a bit for an engineering report but as above it quickly pays for itself and being able to happily and casually cruise down the middle of the road in full flight is worth it.

Also, it seems like an appropriate time to spam this gag from last week :lol:

https://www.facebook.com/hyenaelectricbikes/photos/a.580950761992210.1073741828.580249262062360/669944736426145/?type=1&theater

Jesus, check out this yob selling croclones on aussie ebay.
http://www.ebay.com.au/itm/ELECTRIC-BIKE-KIT-5000W-48-96v-STEALTH-BOMBER-FIGHTER-HUB-MOTOR-100km-plus-/261634271944?#description

The response to the last question is priceless:
Q: Hi there.Do you know the kv of this motor and if it is a hubzilla cromotor?Are you also supplying the torque arms and freewheel sprocket?Thanks Mick. 23-Oct-14
A: Hi there the sprocket I can get for you but I wouldn't put a sprocket (it doesn't need it) this thing is so powerful you won't even need to pedal once, I was going to use it on my bike without even crankset , but I could get you one for about $30 extra. Im not sure about if it is a cromotor, or hubzilla. and not sure what the torque arms are if you could send me a link please. Hope this helps.

^ Buyer beware. He called the motor an engine too...

I don't understand how someone can be so ignorant of their own product, its not as if they are one of those Chinese sellers with thousands of products.

Back