Awesome (IMO) Carbon Fiber-Large Parts 3D Printer Introduced

MitchJi

10 MW
Hi,

This will enable awesome Ebike frames and related parts, and it's affordable at $5k-$9k:
[youtube]Y5wjjDBdgeE[/youtube]
youtube said:
Meet the Mark One: the world's first Carbon Fiber 3D printer

Designed to overcome the strength limitations of traditional 3D printed materials, the revolutionary Mark One 3D printer is the world's first 3D printer designed to print continuous carbon fiber. Now you can print parts, tooling, and fixtures with a higher strength-to-weight ratio than 6061-T6 Aluminum.
https://markforged.com/
Print real parts at your desk.
The magic is in the printhead. Our special blend of thermoplastics immediately hardens during printing. No nasty chemicals. No vacuum bagging. No post curing. This is one 3D printer you’d be happy to sit next to.

One part. Thousands of Continuous Carbon Fibers.
The incredible strength of carbon fiber comes from the long, continuous strands that carry load down the entire part. This is why space shuttles, rockets, and Formula 1 cars are constructed from continuous strand carbon. And it’s how we print. Don’t settle for plastic with a dash of chopped carbon fill. Longer is stronger.

A true multi-material machine.
When you don’t need one of the world’s strongest materials, the Mark One 3D prints a range of other materials to help professionals design and iterate quickly. Make tough parts with our Nylon Filament. Or load our tried and true, low-cost PLA filament for those quick form and fit prints. And if you need the best cost-to-strength solution, crank out a print using our exclusive Fiberglass Filament that uses the same patented Continuous Filament Fabrication™.

An aspect ratio made for engineers.
Parts often have a long axis. That’s why CNC machines are designed with a long axis, and why we followed suit.

Print more in less space.
We’ve constructed a large, industry-leading build size into a compact desktop package so you can create full scale parts in just about
any workspace.
Mark One Pre-order
$4,999
Pre-order a Mark One and be one of the first to 3D Print Continuous Carbon Fiber.

Mark One Developer Kit Pre-order
$8,799
Move to the front of the line, get twice the material, and start printing Kevlar®.

The Developer Kit includes:
Mark One 3D Printer. Earliest ship date*.
MarkForged software. Premium software support.
Kevlar® filament, 300 cm3 (18.3 in3)
Carbon fiber filament, 200 cm3 (12.2 in3)
Fiberglass filament, 300 cm3 (18.3 in3)
Nylon filament, 2000 cm3 (122 in3)
PLA filament, 2000 cm3 (122 in3)
5 x CFF Quick-change nozzle
5 x FFF Quick-change nozzle
2 additional print beds
http://www.roadandtrack.com/racing/race-technology/go-printcut
If 3D-printed carbon fiber is the future, it's already here
3D printing is transforming manufacturing. Can it work for cars?
By Michael Frank June 30, 2014 / Photos by Jeong Suh/Bryan Christie Design

From a production standpoint, 3D printing, also known as additive manufacturing and rapid prototyping, has myriad advantages over pieces created by computer-numerical-control (CNC) machine work. The latter requires tremendous time and brain power to design the milling process. Most notably, material cost plummets when you're not cutting shapes from excess material, as you do with any CNC setup. But plastic, the customary media for modern rapid prototyping, lacks the necessary strength-to-weight ratio for most automotive components. So the fiction-to-fact turning point for car parts is the advent of 3D-printable carbon fiber.

Right now, that's actually possible with the brand-new MarkForged Mark One printer, which can print parts from continuous carbon fibers. Previously, only short fibers could be used in 3D printing, which limits strength and stiffness. The Mark One means the 3D-printing process can now create finished parts, not just prototypes, that match the strength and durability of those molded or machined from high-performance composites.

The man behind MarkForged, MIT-educated aerospace engineer Greg Mark, comes from the racing world. His first company, Aeromotions, built carbon-fiber wings for motorsport the old way: laying up material by hand, with huge delays between engineering and manufacturing. And given that every wing was built specifically for each model, the material waste and long delivery time line ensured that even expensive wings barely turned a profit.

"Everything from suspension components to wheels printed on demand: It sounds amazing."

But once you can print carbon fiber, the cost model shifts. Manufacturing time evaporates, and iterating and troubleshooting become almost immediate. Schedule a track test, capture data, then build new ground-effects components or bodywork right at the track—just hit "print" and come back four hours later.

That potential has drawn the interest of several Formula 1 teams. "Imagine how quickly they could experiment with different downforce models between races," Mark notes, without naming the interested parties. That nimbleness could also benefit automakers. "You could build an entire car frame in just a week or print suspension components to update a vehicle during its life cycle," Mark says.

Working parts are trickier, but the potential is huge because printed carbon allows for precise construction with a far higher carbon-to-resin ratio. And mass-production applications won't have to make identical parts: With a set of fixed body dimensions and mounting points, manufacturers could build custom interiors while still using factory assembly, by printing bespoke parts right at the line.

For now, buying a replacement fender is still cheaper than printing your own. But three years ago, Mark didn't know he could 3D-print carbon fiber. Who knows what will be possible in 2017.

This is going to make 3D printing worth it to me and opens up huge doors to the consumer. The future looks awesome indeed

lester12483 said:
It will also lead to more localized manufacturing instead of everything being made overseas.

Not when the raw materials alone cost more than a finished article, shipped halfway across the world, with a retailer's markup added. Carbon fiber, Kevlar, PBO fiber, Spectra, etc., are good stuff for some applications, but they are not as cheap or versatile as metal.

Just the feedstocks for conventional resin-only 3D printers often cost more than equivalent commercial products made by more cost-effective methods. So let's be realistic; this is still hobbyist stuff.

lester12483 said:
Funny, because that's the same thing people said about personal computers back in 1980.

Get back to me when the cost of carbon fiber observes Moore's Law.

Chalo said:
lester12483 said:
Funny, because that's the same thing people said about personal computers back in 1980.

Get back to me when the cost of carbon fiber observes Moore's Law.

That's NOT what they said about personal computers in 1980. It's also unrelated, comparing what the masses might have done in a lower tech era to what downsized manufacturing might do today with so many tech savvy people available. It's all cost. It took almost 2 decades after 1980 for home computers to be truly pervasive, you remember. Because it took a combination of falling prices and out of date equipment being given to others to make it so. If the price of carbon fiber printing doesn't nose dive, it'll never be pervasive.

I'll have to see that printed strength before I believe it, 3D printing has a decided weakness in strength.

(Published on Youtube Sept, 2014) Can maybe fill out this thread more. Maybe:
[youtube]daioWlkH7ZI[/youtube]

Re. Weakness of 3d printing....not necessarily. Using direct metal laser sintering for rocket nozzles is one area where they went from over 150 individual cut metal pieces requiring extensive hand finishing, to a two piece assembly, strong enough to produce over 20,000 pounds of thrust.

Voltron said:
Re. Weakness of 3d printing....not necessarily. Using direct metal laser sintering for rocket nozzles is one area where they went from over 150 individual cut metal pieces requiring extensive hand finishing, to a two piece assembly, strong enough to produce over 20,000 pounds of thrust.

Comparing laser metal sintering to plastic extrusion 3D printing is like comparing porcelain to cake frosting.

It was meant to point out that there is a large range of 3d printing techniques these days, and a blanket statement that 3d printing is weak is not very accurate.

Thread necro! (It's a spam post above, that's likely to be deleted before too many people read it... I hope.)

Anyway, it is a refreshing time to be looking at this. I've been printing 3D parts for my eBike for the last few weeks. Not carbon fibre, but there are now commercially available wood and metal ingrained plastics that give it additional strength - Nothing like what well laid Carbon Fibre would though.

I've been trying to get ABS/PETG right, as much stronger and more temp resistant plastics than the easy to print PLA. I find anything thicker than 2mm is pretty much indestructible, but you need to do careful design and printing to reduce the chance of warping during the print process, and to test every reel - not just once per type - of filament. I've had some print best as 220*C, but the next batch wouldn't even bond at 220*c and needed 235+.

eBikes really do seem to be at the forefront of hobbyist technologies. I guess part of it is the unavailability (in many countries) of actually fun (high powered) commercial off the shelf eBikes helps that.

I print my PETG, lots of it, at 245° nozzle and 80° bed, very nice results, though PETG is even more brittle than PLA in my experience. I've been printing lots of parts in the transparent PETG colors and also clear lately, like the way they look. Not necessarily for ebike though, just doing black for that.

Try ASA, it is also UV resistant as PETG is, unlike PLA. ASA prints super clean looking, no spiderwebbing like most other materials, and is also much more matte as opposed to glossy other materials. I don't know why, but the prints are super clean with ASA and like I say, UV resistant.

PC-Max is very strong stuff but warps and cracks if not in an enclosure and depending upon part geometry.

Back