Bafang BBS-02 fit American Bottom Bracket?

OCBikeNoob

1 µW
Does anybody know if the Bafang BBS02 Mid Drive will fit an american style bottom bracket? I have beach cruiser I would like to install the BBS02 on and have been looking at the pictures on ES and online and have only seen the BBS02 mounted on a euro style BB. I currently have an American to Euro Style BB adapter on the bike for 3-piece cranks, but I'm afraid that the diameter of the American BB is too big to fit the BBS02 and will not have clearance from the built in bottom bracket on the motor and motor casing of the BBS02.

Thanks in advance.

I just tried it with a BBS01 36V350W and it did fit a Pyramid Imports adapter that converts a 1 piece (American bottom bracket) to a 3 piece English BSA thread, which has a max O.D of 56.6mm.
Depending on how wide your BB is, it may make your chainline a little worse because the larger diameter of the adapter causes the BBS to sit out the drive side 1-2mm due to the case behind the chainwheel.

Attachments

• BB OPC to 3PC.jpg
    BB OPC to 3PC.jpg
    1.9 KB · Views: 3,867
I'm installing a BSS02 in a Motobecane 29er and find that the bottom bracket is a really tight fit on first attempt to slide the motor through the bottom bracket tube. The motor shaft gets stuck about halfway through the tube, which probably means where the shaft's threading ends. Running my finger around the inside of the BB there is a very small ridge most noticable at the weld joints, which probably never comes into play with most bottom brackets because they taper at the end of the threading.

I tried a quick dremel grinder to see if just knocking off a couple nubs will get the job done, but didn't happen on the first try. The BB seems to be just barely asymmetric in that I have a bit of play wiggling up and down but almost none side to side, which I think implies the tight spot is around the rear chainstay joints, though it could be just a tight fit overall with an extra millimeter tight on that axis - but it does feel like there is a tiny ridge, rather than a problem on the unthreaded width of the BB so hopeful about just cleaning up a little bit rather than a lot of metal. Spinning the BSS02 shaft doesn't seem to change the tightness of fit so I'm guessing that means the issue is in the bottom bracket dimensions, not the motor.

So it's an 'almost' perfect fit that will be really tight (good) if I can get it through. Any advice will be appreciated, I'm going to look for a better cutting/grinding option and try again with a little more persistence.

Charlie

I have this same problem. Did you get any joy with the dremmel?

I just ran into this issue with my '12 Specialized Hardrock. BB is 68mm but I'm guessing the inner dia is smaller than 35mm toward the middle. I saw a youtube video of a guy that had an adjustable reamer that worked for him. Think he said it was like 33-38mm. The BBS02 needs 35mm inner DIA to work. I'm going to try greasing it first but I think I'll probably need to ream it

Quick update. Bought an adjustable reamer kit from harbour freight. Worked like a charm.

Hello I'm trying to figure out if I will be able to fit my BBS02 on a beach cruiser with disc brakes I'm building. I've haven't been able to get a straight answer from anybody. Most people say yes it will work on 95% of bikes out there but no pictures of any bafang motor on any bike with a bottom bracket adapter. Most all I find on the subject of mid drives and beach cruisers are about, will my coaster brake work. Duh of course it won't work there's a free wheel on the mid drive itself. Or like this one it gets high jacked and no REAL QUESTIONS are answered. I'm sorry if I'm a little foward but I'm a really limited budget with no transportation and all I'm trying to find is answers

Will I need a off center bottom bracket because it is tight between the motor and the cross shafts housings.

There is a guy in youtube converted a trek cruiser using the bbs02. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qE44F40Fq_4

jboc714 said:
Hello I'm trying to figure out if I will be able to fit my BBS02 on a beach cruiser with disc brakes I'm building. I've haven't been able to get a straight answer from anybody. Most people say yes it will work on 95% of bikes out there but no pictures of any bafang motor on any bike with a bottom bracket adapter. Most all I find on the subject of mid drives and beach cruisers are about, will my coaster brake work. Duh of course it won't work there's a free wheel on the mid drive itself. Or like this one it gets high jacked and no REAL QUESTIONS are answered. I'm sorry if I'm a little foward but I'm a really limited budget with no transportation and all I'm trying to find is answers

Hi mate!

Have you manage to resolve this and put bbs on beach cruiser?

I have nervi cannibal and seems I'll have the same issues as you.

I installed a Lunacycle sourced BBS02 on a 1999 Gary Fisher MB and the only issue with installation was clearance with the bottom bracket as well. I worked the center area with a dremel until it slid through, haven't had any related issues since. Wish I'd thought of using a reamer, I'm hovering right now on ordering another kit to do another build, might pick one up and save myself a bunch of time laying on my side test fitting.

Aside from getting clearance for the bottom bracket, I was really impressed with how easily this kit installs. Unlike the previous Bafang hub motor kits I've done, the wiring is all plug and play except battery attachment, which just involves deciding what sort of connection you want between the motor and battery. Lunacycle uses XT90 connectors that don't spark for that, and XT60 for the charger. Small and simple compared to what I've used in the past.

The other impressive upgrade is the throttle levers. Don't look much better than the ones I had on my hub motor bikes, but I've ridden in rain and snow with no issues all winter and now into spring in the rain as well. Only a few years ago the only throttles available would fail in a light drizzle even with a plastic bag over them.

Back