Bafang ultra max 2.2kw EXCESS controller

Hello, its my first post. Been lurking on these forums and many e-bike facebook groups for a month now. Struggling to find a suitable e-mtb for my needs for a suitable price.
Quite convinced that this excess/innotrace controller could be the best bet on an e-mtb.
Sadly there are quite a few intresting frames for a m620 system.
I found Black Forest Bike x2 from innotraces facebook site, looks quite intresting. It has innotrace controller, ok specification for the price.

https://black-forest-bike.de/

https://m.ebay-kleinanzeigen.de/s-anzeige/black-forest-bike-x2-mit-bafang-ultra-g510-1000-m620-mit-x1/1515093131-217-9105

Been also considering Frey Ex Pro and upgrading the controller and motor to innotrace. Might come out cheaper.

Also thought alot of buying dengfu m09 or e10 frame and building it up myself, because of lighter weight and neater and stealthier battery compartment. Sadly the tunability is at the moment nonexistent on m600-system. Is there going to be an update or sexier frames coming anytime soon for the m620 system? Probably yes? Anyone got any info or news?
Excess bikes are a tad too expensive and dont like the looks of the e180.

I am told there will be an innotrace controller for the M600 next year, so you could upgrade later if the Bafang tuning doesn't meet your needs. I would go with the Dengfu E10 and M600 if you want something closer to a suitable eMTB at suitable cost. I think the Ultra may be too heavy for that purpose unless you go with a carbon build like the Exess bike, but the latter doesn't meet your suitable cost crteria.

whelibob said:
Sadly there are quite a few intresting frames for a m620 system.

Lots of people are building a bike with this frame:
20190702223169116911.jpg

They are not that expensive.
Check the FB group "Bafang G510/M620"

Tom said:
I am told there will be an innotrace controller for the M600 next year, so you could upgrade later if the Bafang tuning doesn't meet your needs. I would go with the Dengfu E10 and M600 if you want something closer to a suitable eMTB at suitable cost. I think the Ultra may be too heavy for that purpose unless you go with a carbon build like the Exess bike, but the latter doesn't meet your suitable cost crteria.
Okey, m600 with innotrace controller could also be a very good option for me. I thought also that that the budget(under 4500€) m620-full suspension complete bikes might be tad too heavy to have fun on technical trails.

Dengfu E10 would be probably better with the slacker headangle, but M09 looks better. Stupid i know, they are meant to be ridden.

Hi
I am interested in buying the innotrace G510 to use in a high speed (45kph) cargo bike and what i read, it is perfect for my application.

I wondered if there are new developments in this controller and new reviews from the users in the time that had passed?

Does anyone know if the innotrace can communicate with a cycle analyst? I would like to use a front hub motor to use regen. More to help with the light braking then regain range. That is why i would need the CA to communicate between the innotrace and the hub controller.

Cheers

Matthias

MatthiasBr said:
Does anyone know if the innotrace can communicate with a cycle analyst?
CAv3 has no communication with the controller.

It senses from the motor and mediates the throttle control only

john61ct said:
MatthiasBr said:
CAv3 has no communication with the controller.

It senses from the motor and mediates the throttle control only

Can the CA then be used as i discribed?

Use the innotec to do the grunt of the work offroad and to get up to speed, switch it to a low power mode just to cover the electrical losses in the motor and then use the direct drive hub to maintain speed on a commute. And visa versa.
While all the time be able to use the DD hub to regen brake.

Or is this to much to ask?

Cheers
Matthias

MatthiasBr said:
I am interested in buying the innotrace G510 to use in a high speed (45kph) cargo bike and what i read, it is perfect for my application.
Do you mean the system as shown here (minus the bike, etc):
https://endless-sphere.com/forums/viewtopic.php?f=6&t=109135 ?

No system does this; the CA is a standalone device that takes in various sensor input and creates a throttle signal to command the controller with based on that input and the settings you have chosen in it's menus.

What specifically do you need the CA to do for you that the "innotrace G510" or the front hubmotor controller doesn't do? (because using a front hubmotor for regen doesnt' require a CA). A complete detailed list will help us determine if that is possible, and how you may need to set up teh CA to do that.

If you have a vision for exactly how this bike should work, please post it with as much detail as possible so we can help you implement it. I quoted your other post below
MatthiasBr said:
Use the innotec to do the grunt of the work offroad and to get up to speed, switch it to a low power mode just to cover the electrical losses in the motor and then use the direct drive hub to maintain speed on a commute. And visa versa.
While all the time be able to use the DD hub to regen brake.

I would like to use a front hub motor to use regen. More to help with the light braking then regain range. That is why i would need the CA to communicate between the innotrace and the hub controller.
That function doesn't require either a CA or communication between either controller. You simply use your ebrake lever at the proper time to engage the front hub's regen, and use the same lever's signal to shut off the innotrace. If you need only light braking, you'll probably need either a variable-regen controller and a way (there are several) to control that, or a low-current-regen controller (or one programmable to a low regen amount) that is just on/off regen braking (this is how most controllers are, rather than variable regen, anyway).

However, if the only thing you are using the hubmotor for is "light braking", that's kind of a big waste of money, weight, and time. You're going to add a few hundred dollars of 10-20lbs of motor and controller and wiring to your bike, making a weaker front wheel, when you could just add an Avid BB7 caliper and 203mm rotor to a good strong regular bike wheel, and have easily modulatable braking at anything from light to skidding the wheel.

If as your second post says, you will also use the DD hub for commuting...why not just use the innotrace for that? Is there something specific about your setup that will prevent it?

Because again, that's still money and weight you could save, if you don't have a specific requirement that the innotrace can't meet for your commute.

If you do need to have the front hubmotor in addition to the innotrace, then as I noted above, it's pretty much as simple as using the same ebrake signal for both to deactivate the innotrace during regen braking.

If you need something more complicated than that, just give us the complete details on how you need it to work so we can help you implement it.

Thank you Amberwolf for the explanation.

I have made a more extensive explanation of what i need / want.
Hope this makes thing clear and makes sence.

So, to sketch the situation:

I am designing a cargo bike / commuter bike.
I am still in the ‘napkin sketch’ fase as I am checking if everything is possible as I want it before going all out in Solidworks.

150 kg cargo max, own weight around 50kg is my goal + rider at +- 80kg

I have got the mechanicals mostly covered, but the electric bike installation is new to me. I have a background in electro-mechanical engineering, so I’m not worried about installing it, but don’t know much about the specific components I will need.

How I would like the system to operate:

Use the Innotrace midmotor to do most of the work as a torque machine. Get the bike up to speed and use it for riding around normally. If possible I would also like a thumb throttle on the innotrace to sometimes give it an extra burst of power when riding around.
The Innotrace should be more then enough to fulfil those needs I guess, even in the normal 1000W trim.

On my normal riding (with my current Bosch powered cargo bike, an Urban Arrow for those interested) I notice I brake a lot. It is light braking, just to slow down a bit for a pedestrian, or slow down to a stop for traffic light. It is the type of braking that wears the brake pads out in an inefficient way I feel. So that got me thinking that a heavy cargo bike might be good to use variable regen braking with a thumb throttle, to eliminate that light braking with the callipers.
One can’t justify the added cost of a controller only to do some braking but I also have the need of the bike to be an efficient commuter (relatively speaking of course since a heavy cargo bike commuter less efficient than a specific build commuter).

The cargo bike will also be my commuter as I mentioned and I have about 80% towpath and bike-highway on my commute with hardly any stops on that. So I don’t need a high powered hub motor to maintain the speed of 45 kph.
DD hubs are more efficient than mid drives in Wh/km so I was thinking this was a good extra reason to look into the regen bit.

Small recap:

- Innotec mid drive with optional throttle
- Hub motor fed with small current to eliminate internal losses while using the Innotec
- Variable regen braking at all times with the hub motor.
- When up to speed switch the main drive to the hub motor and feed the innotec with a small current to account for internal losses. This doesn’t have to be automatic, would be perfect if I could do this with a switch.

Is this in any way possible?

Cheers

Matthias

MatthiasBr said:
I am designing a cargo bike / commuter bike.
I am still in the ‘napkin sketch’ fase as I am checking if everything is possible as I want it before going all out in Solidworks.

150 kg cargo max, own weight around 50kg is my goal + rider at +- 80kg
Well, with that kind of weight for cargo, the extra weight of the hubmotor won't make much difference to the system. ;) Cost, that's a separate thing; probably at least $200-$300 for a common cheap DD hubmotor kit (since you don't need much motor); more if you want to build it into a good wheel (instead of the maybe-it's-good one it will come in), and more if you want a better controller with more control over the regen. Might be $500+ just for the front hub system (motor, controller, etc), depending on your specific needs.

You don't need a powerful DD motor or controller (500-1000w is likely more than sufficient, since the innotrace will be doing any heavy lifting thru the bike gearing), but you probably do need a controller that lets you have fine control over the regen braking.

Most true-FOC controllers can, as a side-effect of how they work, also finely control the amount of braking. The smallest one I know of that is also waterproof is the Phaserunner (or Baserunner if you are installing it inside something else like a battery cradle) by Grin Tech
https://ebikes.ca/product-info/grin-products/phaserunner.html
but they're a lot more expensive than the average controller. (more versatile and probably much better supported, but kind of a big budget hit).

One thing about more versatile controllers with more features is that they are not plug-and-play; they all require you to set them up for your specific system, motor, and needs. But at least you *can* do this, which isnt' typically possible with the easier-to-use plug-and-play kind. ;)

Use the Innotrace midmotor to do most of the work as a torque machine. Get the bike up to speed and use it for riding around normally. If possible I would also like a thumb throttle on the innotrace to sometimes give it an extra burst of power when riding around.
The Innotrace should be more then enough to fulfil those needs I guess, even in the normal 1000W trim.
Depends on your gearing, and how (or if!) you shift while using it.

If you gear the pedal drivetrain for low enough speeds and high enough torque, you could probably climb trees with it. ;)

If you never shift gears, you'd want to gear it low, which means your pedals are also geared low, so you won't be able to do much if any human power at higher speeds.

If it is geared low enough so that the top speed of the innotrace is at the point you want the hubmotor to take over, then the innotrace will be using very little power at that point anyway, and it could be a smooth transition.

On my normal riding (with my current Bosch powered cargo bike, an Urban Arrow for those interested) I notice I brake a lot. It is light braking, just to slow down a bit for a pedestrian, or slow down to a stop for traffic light. It is the type of braking that wears the brake pads out in an inefficient way I feel. So that got me thinking that a heavy cargo bike might be good to use variable regen braking with a thumb throttle, to eliminate that light braking with the callipers.
It can certainly be done that way. That's how I eventually will be using my SB Cruiser heavy cargo trike,
https://endless-sphere.com/forums/viewtopic.php?f=2&t=67833
using the Lebowski controllers on the dual rear hubmotors (they have variable regen too).
https://endless-sphere.com/forums/viewtopic.php?f=30&t=105711

Presently I have a Grinfineon controller version that has variable regen (often called proportional regen, if you are searching for pages about it), but it is very weak, so I still use the front (regular wheel) Avid BB7 MTN with 203mm rotor for most of my braking; it does wear the pads pretty quickly, but works great in most situations.

Because teh Grinfineon doesn't have a direct input for regen amount, but does a wierd thing where the bottom 0.8v controls it (below the normal throttle level), then I have to use the Cycle Analyst v3 to do this (it's designed partly for this). So mine is a little complicated, but yours doesn't have to be, and mine wont' be later when I finish the Lebowski controllers and use direct control over their regen. So my regen control setup is this, right now:
https://endless-sphere.com/forums/viewtopic.php?f=2&t=105460
It sounds complicated but it isn't really, and it is much less complicated if the controller you use has an analog input specifically for the braking control input.

For the future I will be using a dual-pull ATV lever on the right side to also allow all-wheel braking control from one lever, where one cable pulls the actual front disc brake cable, and the other cable pulls a cable-operated throttle to control rear regen braking. Ideally I'll also modify my frame to accomodate rear disc brakes, and use another dual-pull lever on the left side for those plus the regen, but that is farther away in time. :oops:

Most basic controllers dont' have variable / proportional regen, just on/off (though some have a programmable strength for when it does engage).

Some of the controllers that do use two separate analog inputs for it, some use just one and the brake lever input just switches between modes for throttle or brake control with your throttle.

The cargo bike will also be my commuter as I mentioned and I have about 80% towpath and bike-highway on my commute with hardly any stops on that. So I don’t need a high powered hub motor to maintain the speed of 45 kph.
DD hubs are more efficient than mid drives in Wh/km so I was thinking this was a good extra reason to look into the regen bit.
As long as the DD hub is setup (via winding choice, wheel size, and battery voltage) to be most efficient at the speed you are riding at most often, and most of your riding is done at that speed, then yes, it can be more efficient. The Grin Motor Simulator may help you determine that, if they happen to have the motor you want to use listed (otherwise you may be able to get specs for the motor you want and set it up as custom in the simulator, to check it out). http://ebikes.ca/tools/simulator.html

But if you have to change speeds a lot, or your terrain / motor load changes a lot, the middrive can be more efficient if you shift gears for it correctly.

So, it depends. ;)

- When up to speed switch the main drive to the hub motor and feed the innotec with a small current to account for internal losses. This doesn’t have to be automatic, would be perfect if I could do this with a switch.

Is this in any way possible?
Yes.

IF the innotrace doesn't have a freewheel / clutch built into it so that it has little to no drag on the pedals when not in use (it should), and doesn't have the built in ability to "virtual freewheel" (probably doesn't), and has a throttle input (don't know), then you can determine the amount of throttle it takes to just barely provide the power needed to "freewheel", and setup a simple resistive voltage divider to provide that amount of throttle to it at all times when you are not actually using higher amounts of throttle.

You can either set it up as a separate divider and input to the same throttle signal, switched in by a relay or other system at specific demand points manually or automatically, or you can just add a resistor to the ground line of the throttle to "lift" the ground of the throttle enough to force it to always output a minimum amount of voltage. The latter may not work if the innotrace has a "throttle fault" check, which controllers do to check if the throttle is already "stuck on" when the bike is turned on, to prevent runaway operation without a rider.

The same thing can be done for the front hubmotor system.

Both of them would be "disabled" as motors whenever you are braking as long as the brake lever(s) send the ebrake signal to both controllers to turn them off like they normally would.

The Cycle Analyst v3 can be used to do the throttle offset, too, as well as a number of other useful things, for the front hubmotor system (the innotrace already has "smarts" in it that are likely to try to override thigns the CA would be doing, so I wouldn't use the CA on it). Then you can use a "dumb" controller for the front hubmotor, and use the CA to tune that system to work the way you want it, including disabling that motor below a certain speed, etc. You can even set it up with a cadence PAS sensor on one of the cranks (wherever there is room around the innotrace system) and control the hubmotor speed or power with the pedals and not need a throttle (but still be able to use one in addition if you like; I do this on SB Cruiser).

So basically, set it up as 2 sepperate systems with a few shared components and switch between them manually.
Not as slick or fancy as i had in mind, but probably much simpler.

Thanks for the explanation!!

Nice rig you have, Amberwolf!

Cheers, Matthias

MatthiasBr said:
So basically, set it up as 2 sepperate systems with a few shared components and switch between them manually.
Not as slick or fancy as i had in mind, but probably much simpler.
It can be slick and fancy with a tiny bit of integration between the two...but it's easier to start with them separate (and it is also more reliable, because you can pretty easily change settings on either one to allow it to work thru the whole speed range if the other one fails for some reason on a trip).

Personally, I'm a fan of redundancy, and whenever possible, simplicity.

If you know anything about Arduino (or other MCU) programming, you can likely use something as simple and small as a Nano (size of a thumbdrive) to do any automated stuff between the systems, such as shutting one down when the other takes over, etc., or any other thing you want it to do.

I have a thread here:
https://endless-sphere.com/forums/viewtopic.php?f=2&t=110497
with ideas for a few things I want to do on the trike that a Nano should easily be able to do, for some examples. I started working on it almost a year ago, but then really bad stuff happened and I haven't been able to get back to it (or much of anything else until very recently).

Thanks for the explanation!!

Nice rig you have, Amberwolf!
You're welcome, and thanks. :) It's still not finished; I've only been working on it for six or seven years. :lol:

I never really finish any of them, just get to the point where further modifications of the same one are harder than starting fresh...if I had the budget there's a completely new trike I'd like to build, based on all I've learned with the SB Cruiser.

The worst part is that I get new ideas for things with every new thing I use it for, and sometimes just randomly...but I dont' have time to write them all down / work them out; and/or I forget them because I'm busy with something else I can't stop with right then, etc. And I don't have the time/money to test out most of the ones I do get to work out some details for.

john61ct said:
Link for those that don't facebook?

No link.. You need to have Facebook. Worth joining or creating a fake-account. A lot of our members done this.
(also had to create an account for this forum! :wink: )

Yes but this forum is not leading our civilization straight to hell in a hand basket.

Many are willing to "suffer" such sacrifices to never support such evil

are these controller/motors still being sold excess/Innotrace? I heard innotrace closed it doors?

Back