Bafang ultra max 2.2kw EXCESS controller

The Exess controller in a Frey HT with Bafang Ultra motor, hmmmmmm :D
Think I will get one!

A heads-up to anyone wanting one in the US....Exess will not send it here because of no UL listing.

Would anyone in another country be willing to let me have them send it to you & forward it to me? I'll pay ALL expenses & pay you for your time..please??

I can do that Joe King 1, no need to pay my time just the postage, I am in Thailand.
They didn't reply to me yet, I do want one too, so I can order 2 and send one to you.
PM me if you like that.

I called them yesterday, they said because of DIY and customer issues and troubles they will not just send the controller. They will only install it themselves.

Will they ship back to the united states if you ship the motor to them? Anyone that ends up with this controller please let us know how the programming is

I would like to smooth out the pas response on my ultra in slower speeds, not looking for more power

cvin

Exess will not do the conversion & ship back to the US because of the UL issue :roll: I may have a solution & I'll PM you if my contact will help.

In the meantime, I suggest you contact UPS/FedEx to see if the freight to/from Germany + the cost of the conversion is worth the effort since you aren't interested in the power increase. You might be looking at $ 1,000 by time you're done. :shock:

just watched the video on this and intrigued by how smooth they say it is

will keep an eye on this thread and see how this plays out for some other people
would love some feedback on how much smoother the pas is compared to stock

i hope they start shipping to the US

There are still so many questions.

- what display do we need?
- is there live data with android app so i can use my phone as display?
- how to program?
- is on the fly programming possible (one button reprogramming to legal speeds like the eggrider?)
- my frey battery has a 30 amp fuse, so i need to change the fuse/bms or the whole battery?
- how to connect your phone, is there bluetooth?
- do the original lights, brake sensors, gear sensors still work?

We need a user revieuw! I would like to buy the motor but not until i have some answers :)

In the video, some of your questions where answered.

- Display is the same, it uses the same communication protocol as the stock controller.
- If you want to draw 40Amp, you neetdto have at least a 40 Amp bms to draw the full power with new controller (normally the new Frey battery's does have a 40amp bms, old ones have a 30A one).
- I think the video mentioned Bluetooth connectivity
- original lights etc etc work, even more powerfull because Excess upgraded the switching circuit on there controller.

Tjeska said:
In the video, some of your questions where answered.

- Display is the same, it uses the same communication protocol as the stock controller.

Seriously? i heard something about a can bus, the original is a serial bus. I don't think we can use the original?

Exess actually does not manufacture this controller, it is made by a German company called Innotrace GmbH.
We are in contact with Innotrace and will check about the display requirements.

We believe that Exess is no longer willing to supply the separate Bafang motors with this controller, they provide this for their own ebike owners only. From mid 2020 Innotrace hopes to be able to ship Bafang motors with the Innotrace controllers directly from China.

Frey has a sample Innotrace motor-combination available but is currently too busy to test it.
We do believe that this motor/controller combination's power is so big that it could wear out drive chain components quit quickly, so we would prefer to test it ourself first before we comment or commit to it.

Good to hear. I'd be more interested in the "other" benefits. Too bad Bafang just can't put out a proper controller themselves.

brake034 said:
Exess actually does not manufacture this controller, it is made by a German company called Innotrace GmbH.

We believe that Exess is no longer willing to supply the separate Bafang motors with this controller, they provide this for their own ebike owners only. From mid 2020 Innotrace hopes to be able to ship Bafang motors with the Innotrace controllers directly from China.

Frey has a sample Innotrace motor-combination available but is currently too busy to test it.
We do believe that this motor/controller combination's power is so big that it could wear out drive chain components quit quickly, so we would prefer to test it ourself first before we comment or commit to it.

I know Frey is realy worried about the wear and tear of the drive train. I hope they give US the choice and supply the motor/controller even when they think the wear is too big.

Jeron, warrantee seems to me an issue and as manufacturer you only want to offer customers products that you can support.

Second, the reason why Exess did not want to send the motors to the US is the fact that they do not have UL approval!
Therefor any other manufacturer will reject to ship them to the US also, so as to avoid any potential claims and legality issues which can run very expensive in the US?!

On top of that, all options in the manufacturing supply line must be reliable and manageable, at the moment there is no reliable supply line for this controller.

So for now I think it will be an after market option, voiding warrantee.

brake034 said:
Jeron, warrantee seems to me an issue and as manufacturer you only want to offer customers products that you can support.

Second, the reason why Exess did not want to send the motors to the US is the fact that they do not have UL approval!
Therefor any other manufacturer will reject to ship them to the US also, so as to avoid any potential claims and legality issues which can run very expensive in the US?!

On top of that, all options in the manufacturing supply line must be reliable and manageable, at the moment there is no reliable supply line for this controller.

So for now I think it will be an after market option, voiding warrantee.

No problem then, i am from Europe :)

brake034 said:

Do you have any news if Frey plans on testing it or offering it to clients in a near future? You say it would be in mid 2020 that Innotrace would be ready, and if so, could we order that installed on bikes directly by Frey before they ship in from China?

Matar9000 said:
Do you have any news if Frey plans on testing it or offering it to clients in a near future? You say it would be in mid 2020 that Innotrace would be ready, and if so, could we order that installed on bikes directly by Frey before they ship in from China?
Yes, Frey has received the motor from Innotrace and planned to test it quarter 1, 2020.
These tests are intended to see if the Innotrace controller is a possible option to offer Frey customers.

What is important from a manufacturers point of view is that the supply line from Innotrace is stable and reliable, avoiding customer delivery delays.

This motor has huge power, so we worry that the drive train may suffer excessive wear?!
If this is so, Frey will probably not offer or recommend the Innotrace option.

However you will understand that due to Chinese Spring Festival, Corona and the delivery of the group buy this Innotrace motor testing has a low priority.

brake034 said:
Matar9000 said:
Yes, Frey has received the motor from Innotrace and planned to test it quarter 1, 2020.
These tests are intended to see if the Innotrace controller is a possible option to offer Frey customers.

What is important from a manufacturers point of view is that the supply line from Innotrace is stable and reliable, avoiding customer delivery delays.

This motor has huge power, so we worry that the drive train may suffer excessive wear?!

However you will understand that due to Chinese Spring Festival, Corona and the delivery of the group buy this Innotrace motor testing has a low priority.

Ok, nice, thanks for the info! I understand that completely, it is nice to know that they are currently testing it though. You seem to have a lot of info about Frey, that's great, can you keep us informed when they have the result out, I'd be more than interested into buying one of their bike with this motor containing the Innotrace chip!

I also understand that they want to be able to provide a product that has a reliable supply line, so do you know that as of now Innotrace could provide enough chip to for that?

Also, about the excessive wear, I think that Exess bikes come stock with the excess chip configuration and people seem to say that their bikes are awesome, didn't see many comments about excessive wear, so it looks that it would be fine on this front! Hopefully...

You probably already saw it, but over this link there are many people interested as well if you want to keep them in the loop also:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GjqsNET7xek

Soon to be available in the US!

https://electricbikereview.com/forums/threads/woohoo-we-are-live-with-the-exclusive-new-controller-for-bafang-ultra-and-more-goodies.32535/

brake034 said:
Matar9000 said:

As other people posted in this forum, there is now a company called Watt Wagon that sells bike with the chip in the motor, they call the chip the Archon:

https://wattwagons.com/

Interestingly enough, the solution they found to reduce the tear of the chain and the drivetrain is to use a rear Rohloff gear hub with a Carbon Gate Drivetrain, I spoke to the owner of the company and he told me that they've been testing it and were able to change the drivetrain every 5000 km or so. The gear hub motor is supposed to be good without much maintenance for a lot of km (company says 100 000 km to give you an idea). This bike seems amazing, do you know if Frey have plans for such a bike in 2021? :

https://wattwagons.com/pages/crosstour_specifications

Matar9000 said:
brake034 said:
Matar9000 said:

As other people posted in this forum, there is now a company called Watt Wagon that sells bike with the chip in the motor, they call the chip the Archon:

https://wattwagons.com/

Interestingly enough, the solution they found to reduce the tear of the chain and the drivetrain is to use a rear Rohloff gear hub with a Carbon Gate Drivetrain, I spoke to the owner of the company and he told me that they've been testing it and were able to change the drivetrain every 5000 km or so. The gear hub motor is supposed to be good without much maintenance for a lot of km (company says 100 000 km to give you an idea). This bike seems amazing, do you know if Frey have plans for such a bike in 2021? :

https://wattwagons.com/pages/crosstour_specifications

First off, it's not a chip, it's an upgraded controller.

Also, Watt Wagon is a high end commuter, not a mountain bike, Frey makes mountain bikes... Which is why they don't use Rohloff hubs and belt drives. Those hubs are too heavy in the rear for MTB. Best mountain bike drivetrain is SRAM eagle x12 presently so I'd expect to see that.

For ebike commuter or touring, Watt Wagon is incredibly nice!

So that Archon controller, is that going to be available for DIYers to upgrade their Ultra motor? 3kW right?

pre-configured compatibility with the Rohloff would be fantastic

but 90 n.M seems **very** conservative, the IGH is spec'd 130 n.M, huge difference that

Back