Bafang Ultra, Phaserunner + CA with custom frame

Hey Gary, thanks for that language hint!

garyal1 said:
Looks to me like you will have a speeding ticket before too long. :bigthumb:
The problem is that they can take your car driving license for riding something like that...I already had contact to a TÜV-guy. I could make the bike street legal. It's a question of money. He told me that if my electrical components have no proper CE-sign, he has to test them for electromagnetic emissions (don't know the proper term in english), which is an expensive procedure. The mechanical part (chassis, brakes etc.) are easier to legalize,concerning that, he has more freedom. The magura parts are already street legal from the start and I feel confident about the chassis.
The Bafang motor has the CE approval and the CA has something similar. I don't know about the Phaserunner and the biggest problem will be the chinese battery. If I don't solve the two last problems, the whole procedure could cost more then 1000€! If I have those papers, it will be around 400€. Still a lot of money.

garyal1 said:
I have found that the best way to avoid the dreaded Comm error when saving parameters is to 1st read the PR, then make the changes and export it to an XML file. Then shut down the PR by disconnecting battery. Then reconnecting battery and importing from XML and using save parameters without having first used read parameters. on the fresh startup of the PR. Don't ask me why, but by doing this I get a 50% success rate compared to 0% success rate.
When thinking about it I realized that it makes no sense, that a certain parameter causes a communication error. That would be a quite irrational explanation :roll:

Well, I consider this build to be finished.
Everything works fine, except maybe the Sturmey-Archer hub, which sometimes doesn't switch gears. My feeling about this is, that during the assembly in the factory they try to save some grease. The whole thing feels kind of rough and metal-like when used. I will disassemble it and re-grease it with some good stuff from the automotive world and hopefully, the gear changes will happen smoother then.
Here are some final pics:
IMG_20190323_134344.jpg
IMG_20190323_134442.jpg
IMG_20190323_134606.jpg
IMG_20190323_134512.jpg
IMG_20190323_134245.jpg
I hope that what I posted so far will be helpful for some of you!
Cheers!
elias

Great looking build, can you share some thoughts about the rear suspension design, is that a Horst link? It looks fairly advanced for a DIY build.

Thanks in advance and greetings from Bavaria!

PS: The images in the motorcycle forum you linked to are down.

Thank you guys!
El_Topo said:
can you share some thoughts about the rear suspension design, is that a Horst link? It looks fairly advanced for a DIY build.
No, it's a "classical" "Linkage Driven Single Pivot", see https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Bicycle_suspension#Rear_suspension
It gives you maximum space in the frame triangle, that's why I prefered it over Horst-Link or Single Pivot.
I simply took the upper and lower swingarms of an Intense M1 which was totally shredded. Support and bushings were done on lathe and mill. The top lever came from german ebay, a guy had a couple of top levers for older Votec frames CNC'd and he is selling them for 25 euros. Those Votec levers are the longest I could find, I thought that a long lever will make more suspension travel on the rear. I did no calculating, not even a drawing :mrgreen: It was a process of fitting in the jig. It does work perfectly, which I cannot say about the front fork from DNM. After some hundreds of km I have to withdraw my first impressions. It distorts and it is not very sensitive for little bumps, so it is not so precise as needed and uncomfortable.

Another update:
The Sturmey-Archer IGH broke after two weeks, the whole wheel-building, machining, fitting etc was "Für-die-Katz"! (is it "for the birds" in english?) Now I use a SRAM X-4 with 8 gears. I can use a wider chain than on the Shimano 10-gear system AND -even more important- you switch gears only with the thumb. First I found that strange, but it is great because now I can leave my forefinger on the brake lever while switching gears which wasn't possible with the Shimano System. If you consider it - when you are doing 60mk/h or more on an Ebike, you want all available fingers on both brakes all the time! At least that's what I learned from riding motorbikes fast. I wonder what the Shimano guys were thinking...

btw. I'm only 25km from bavaria...pm?

El_Topo said:
PS: The images in the motorcycle forum you linked to are down.

Thanks, I uploaded them again!

elias said:
No, it's a "classical" "Linkage Driven Single Pivot", see https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Bicycle_suspension#Rear_suspension
It gives you maximum space in the frame triangle, that's why I prefered it over Horst-Link or Single Pivot.
I simply took the upper and lower swingarms of an Intense M1 which was totally shredded. Support and bushings were done on lathe and mill. The top lever came from german ebay, a guy had a couple of top levers for older Votec frames CNC'd and he is selling them for 25 euros. Those Votec levers are the longest I could find, I thought that a long lever will make more suspension travel on the rear. I did no calculating, not even a drawing :mrgreen: It was a process of fitting in the jig. It does work perfectly, which I cannot say about the front fork from DNM. After some hundreds of km I have to withdraw my first impressions. It distorts and it is not very sensitive for little bumps, so it is not so precise as needed and uncomfortable.
Thank you for the explanation, I was asking because I am trying to understand this whole suspension business a bit better because it is so frustrating to not be able to buy an off-the-shelf full suspension fat ebike because all of them have high q-factors, see this thread if you are interested, maybe you can comment on general frame design and why nobody builds such bikes?

elias said:
btw. I'm only 25km from bavaria...pm?
Will send you a PM, I assume German is fine?

elias said:
Thanks, I uploaded them again!
I don't know anything about motorcycles except that they have two wheels like a bicycle (and that you don't need to pedal) but that photo looks like you know what you are doing.

PS: What is up with your saddle? Reminds me of this:

IzZW5Br.jpg

:lol:

El_Topo said:
PS: What is up with your saddle? Reminds me of this:

IzZW5Br.jpg

:lol:

Well...you ruined your knees by lifting weights for years, I ruined my prostate gland by riding motorbikes even through winter since I was 16. It's always afterwards you are wiser, aren't you? 8)
This saddle gives no pressure on my precious parts whatsoever and is still much more comfortable than you would expect.
And german is of course fine :wink:

El_Topo said:
Thank you for the explanation, I was asking because I am trying to understand this whole suspension business a bit better because it is so frustrating to not be able to buy an off-the-shelf full suspension fat ebike because all of them have high q-factors, see this thread if you are interested, maybe you can comment on general frame design and why nobody builds such bikes?

Well as others posted, I don't think you can find a good solution off the shelf. Every motor has its width, making it especially small is possible, but needs extra small bearings, extra small gears etc. so that would lower its reliability and lifetime. Who would pay extra money for a motor that needs new bearings and gears every season?
Additionally, I personally see a problem with a too narrow width of the swingarm-frame connecting axle. Riding precision though chassis construction comes from several factors and an as-wide-as-possible base for the swingarm front axle is one of them. Have you seen Daxxies video about his shudder problem? See the motor pulling the titanium hardtail to the right when torque is applied? Imagine a swingarm with small bearings being pulled to the side, where every bearing adds play to the system. The bike will wiggle so much you would think the frame is from plastic. This isn't a big problem when riding on heavy forest ground or with lower speeds, I assume most riders in mountainous terrain don't notice it. But on the street, while cornering fast, you will feel veeerrrry insecure.
Long story short: I think a good mid-motor driven fully has to have a wider Q-factor.

I have no experience with systems like the cyclone http://cyclone-tw.com/3chkit.html or similar constructions, but maybe you could build something with such a motor and well chosen cranks that would work for your problem?
I changed my cranks from stock bafang ultra to FSA Metropolis parts which decreased the overall Q-factor for maybe 8mm, but they come quite near to the motor on the left.

You could build something with the motor in the rear wheel. But the weight of the engine in that wheel will foil the use of your rear suspension for being too heavy to react to bumps. Unsprung weight has to be kept as low as possible.

At least that's my understanding what a full suspension is for. After reading lots of other threads where that topic is discussed, I understand that my (minority) view on this comes from the motorbike riding experience. I don't ride my e-bike in heavy country terrain where I suppose you want the suspension travel for jumps and a better tractional contact of the rear wheel to the ground and where lateral movements of the wheel line (let's say it clear: a bending frame) is tolerable. And of course it gives you a much more comfortable ride in the forest.
If you corner fast on the street (lets say 50 km/h) and on your line is a big hole in the tarmac, the difference is
a. going straight over it with a stable chassis where the rear wheel stays on the tarmac all the time or
b. find yourself one meter to the outer side of the curve with your bending chassis and your jumping rear wheel,
which means if you cornered left and cars overtook all the time you are now in the gutter. Let's better not think about cornering right and a truck overtook...

btw. I never understood the hype about fat wheels. Besides the looks which is of course in the eye of the beholder, they have only disadvantages. Ask automotive tire producers what they think about fat wheels like they had in the 60ies on the cars. They give you more comfort if you have a poor suspension and chassis design, but they have the big disadvantage of handling verrry imprecise. Thats why with all the engineering knowledge of our days, the comfort comes from chassis set up and modern suspension parts and the tires are as thin as possible. The thinner the tire(side-view of course, my english comes to its borders here), the better the precision in steering, the better the control in curves. Car engineers favor a tire pressure of 6 bar or more, because that makes the tire even more stiff, but their sales guys tell them to go lower - the customer loves comfort, they are told...
So fatties could be useful for a hardtail in the forest or on the beach, but a fully with fatties is simply wrong. The suspension does the comfort job...

elias said:
Well...you ruined your knees by lifting weights for years....It's always afterwards you are wiser, aren't you?
Touché! :lol:

elias said:
Long story short: I think a good mid-motor driven fully has to have a wider Q-factor.
elias said:
And german is of course fine :wink:
Will send you message soon, just give me a few more days to process all the info, thank you for the in-depth reply!

Back