Baked my own, experimental NO FAT CHIPS - Horizontal bread/rolls and crunchy snacks pg 2

tried 5 oz water w/2 cups flour :bigthumb: easier to roll out, not sticky at all. trick is to do small sections- i took 1/8 of it and for a test, rolled it out really thin - baked it reminds me of corn flakes! so you could make $3 worth of flakes for like 30 cents :lol:
batch came out great, the rest are not as thin, much like potato chips. no more jaw breakers.

got a 5# bag of 100% whole wheat flour $4.29
1st test 1/2 cup w/1.5 cups, all i had left of the 1.69 all purpose bleached flour. Made chips, noticed they browned faster, but was able to shut the oven off a little sooner. Most were good, except a section had that burnt flavor i don't like. By keeping the temp lower they should be good.
2nd test 2c 100% whole wheat. it browns really easily, so fast, i threw out 3/4 as it tasted awful :(
Ate some of the rest, but i now see why 100% whole wheat is not popular. tastes like crap :lol:
3rd test, Gold Medal unbleached bread flour $3.19 These chips are the best :mrgreen: So i plan to buy this bread flour both for rolls and chips.
4th test. What to do with 4+ lbs of 100%?
I made a bowl "cream of wheat" for breakfast. was good w/1 TB sugar added to 1/4 cup boiled in water.
5th test
1/8 cup 100% added to 1/3 cup old fashioned oats. BINGO! this is a great way to use it up.

Looks like i finally perfected my chips :mrgreen: i could sell them and make millions, but i'd rather give it away :bolt:
1-7/8 cup unbleached all purpose flour
1/8 cup 100% whole wheat flour (also tested 1/4 cup + 1/3/4 and that is 8) too. )
1/4t salt plus sprinkled on top and rolled in.
1/2 tb ground flax (keeps it from sticking to pan)
5 oz water
mixed 20 min in my bread machine (could be mixed by hand)
rolled out on 2 cookie sheets that cover entire layer in oven.
bake on 2nd from bottom rack 5 min ON
OFF 5min- then rotate 180 and move up 1 notch (keeps them from browning)
ON 6 more min,
let sit 1-2 hours- then perfect chips :bigthumb:

so i put in 1/2 oz of peanut butter instead of the flax. the chips came out great! same effect, no sticking to pan. And, to my surprise they do not smell or taste like PB 8) So PB 75% fat can be used in place of butter 82% fat or flax 45% fat. Good to know since i don't have any oil, margarine or butter, in case i run out of flax. The flax does give a hint of the nutty flax taste, which i prefer, and has less fat and has omega 3, which might be good fat.

when I lived in the bush, I always made my own breads, biscuits, pancakes. I never used yeast but Magic Baking Powder. never thought of using peanut butter as a substitute for butter. Bannock or biscuits made with peanut butter instead of butter could be good.
same recipe basically. water,1 cup flour, tspn salt and tbspn magic baking powder. the water amount varies, a runny batter for pancakes, then biscuits or bannock is a stiff dough that doesn't stick to your hand when kneading it.
the magic baking powder makes everything fluffy.

I left a loaf of wonderbread in a fridge that was turned off, left camp and a month later I came back and it was still like brand new. I don't buy bread anymore.

oh ya, I thought it was the sugar cartels bribing the US government to attack fat as the evil ingredient in your diet when its actually sugar but I don't know. had a friend diagnosed with type 2 and he was trying to get gastric bypass surgery to cure the type2 diabetes but Canada said no. again I don't know if it works.
have you ever tried Chaga tea, amazing stuff

goatman said:
when I lived in the bush, I always made my own breads, biscuits, pancakes. I never used yeast but Magic Baking Powder. never thought of using peanut butter as a substitute for butter. Bannock or biscuits made with peanut butter instead of butter could be good.
same recipe basically. water,1 cup flour, tspn salt and tbspn magic baking powder. the water amount varies, a runny batter for pancakes, then biscuits or bannock is a stiff dough that doesn't stick to your hand when kneading it.
the magic baking powder makes everything fluffy.

I left a loaf of wonderbread in a fridge that was turned off, left camp and a month later I came back and it was still like brand new. I don't buy bread anymore.
goatman
thanks for the comments
PB bread was "popular" in 1932 :shock: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_qL0aVIyyws
I'd expect that if i used more PB it would taste great, just add jam :D
But i do have to watch how much fat i eat. Too little and i can't gain weight, so i had to add 1/2 oz a day of PB, and in 3 mos. i went up to 121 lbs from 118. 8) i was too thin. now just right 8)
(never tried chaga tea)

Surprising results from beet juice https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GxBzAupDZC4
since i just bought 3# of beets w/tops for $1.49, i'm going to save the juice to make RED :shock: bread

seenz said:
You tried Chia seed flour?
not the flour, but i did try the seeds. did not like the taste, flax i like very much. reminds me i have to grind up some to add to lunch :D

i'm about to try 1.5 cups of flour instead of 2 :oops: broke tooth. chips need to be thinner.
Same day repair 8) i fixed it myself with dental epoxy 8)
Anybody else do their own dental repairs? this is my 3rd fix. Got repair kit from India for $20.

made the thinner, 1.5 cup chips twice and they crunch great, without being teeth breakers :D
tooth repair is holding up so far 8)

If the yeast is old it's probably given up the ghost. Age and heat will kill it.

What ever happened to donuts and coffee, the breakfast of (dead) champions? There's always grits, but you have to put so much butter and salt on them to get any sort of taste, they're surely worse than the donuts/coffee thing. Breakfast in the US is a hazardous affair. Very unhealthy.

Why don't you make some breakfast rolls from buckwheat? It's not actually wheat, and is a whole food. I'm glad I saw this thread because my usual breakfast is gonna kill me unless I do something about it. I'm leaning toward blackened salmon, horseradish, cantaloupe or papaya, and blueberries. Or a soda and moon pie. whichever is easiest.

Here's a buckwheat roll recipe that's gluten free, dairy free, soy free, egg free, yeast free, corn free, and grain free. The recipe below it is for a faux sourdough buckwheat roll.

https://holisticobsession.com/gluten-free-buckwheat-rolls/
https://www.anthonysgoods.com/blogs/recipes/faux-sourdough-buckwheat-rolls

momus
i like gluten. tastes great! i did a 6 mos. test without wheat and found out gluten is no problem for me :thumb:
as for yeast going bad, i have some from 2007 that got lost in the freezer :oops: it still has some rise, but only maybe half as good as fresher yeast. Better than nothing if i run out. I get about 2 years from a 1# bag of yeast, and it has to be kept frozen to stay good for 2 years.

so everyone stuck at home is baking bread :roll: hard to get yeast and bread flour. walmart finally got the flour, but still out of yeast. the 1 lb pack that i buy. can pay double on ebay, but what fun is that?
I'm down to the last 3 oz. have been using 1 teaspoon in 4.5 cups of flour. so today i cut that to 1/2 teaspoon but upped the sugar to 4t from 2 teaspoons. I also added extra heat during the 1 hour final rise. it worked :bigthumb: But the rolls are browner on the bottom :oops: will try 3t sugar next time 8)
plan is to delay running out, hopefully it will be back in stock by then 8)

Matt Gruber said:
so everyone stuck at home is baking bread :roll: hard to get yeast and bread flour. walmart finally got the flour, but still out of yeast. the 1 lb pack that i buy. can pay double on ebay, but what fun is that?
I'm down to the last 3 oz. have been using 1 teaspoon in 4.5 cups of flour. so today i cut that to 1/2 teaspoon but upped the sugar to 4t from 2 teaspoons. I also added extra heat during the 1 hour final rise. it worked :bigthumb: But the rolls are browner on the bottom :oops: will try 3t sugar next time 8)
plan is to delay running out, hopefully it will be back in stock by then 8)

Wasn't there a shortage of flour before covid-19?

could be. My Publix stopped selling Gold Medal bread flour last year. Walmart never sold it- until now 3.57 for 5#. Past decade i paid 1.99 so higher price could be from longer shortage.

so i cut back on the sugar to 2 teaspoons, and went up 1 more rack. VERY pleased.
The secret to using less yeast appears to be warming the rolls before baking. i switched on the oven 60w light, but the rolls far away droop. :lol:
so i plan to put a 60w bulbs under each pan for a test. :bolt:

i put one 60w bulb under the pans in the center for 1 hour. worked very good. cut sugar to 1 teaspoon, so i conclude it is mild heat, not sugar, that gives a good rise on 1/2 tea. of yeast :bigthumb:

Not really a surprise; they add plenty of oil/fat too i guess :eek:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NSmrEOooRyE&ab_channel=SteveLehto
this is why i bake my own rolls! always read the label on anything you buy :thumb:

Been baking rolls for years, finally got bored :shock:
So today i rolled out half the dough on 1 sheet, and made the usual rolls on the other.
i was quite surprised how much better the rise was on the 1 big "roll". then i cut it up into squares and sliced them in half 8) ended up with 1 extra roll too 8)
Publix had a sale, half price on the Gold Medal unbleached 5# for 3.25 for 2 :thumb: Not the bread flour. Since they non longer sell the GM bread flour, i gave this a try and while it is a softer crumb, i have no complaints :bigthumb:
Still using the little jar, 1/2 teaspoon of yeast to 4.5 cups of flour and dropped the water to 10oz from 10.5. and 1t of sugar and 1/2 tablespoon of flax seeds(probably not necessary)
1 hour rise time with 1 60w bulb under each pan. the yeast loves it :lol:

Pays to experiment :bigthumb:
i now get 27 rolls with the flat bread vs. 21 making individual rolls :shock:
the rise is so much better, i can roll out the dough on the entire sheet vs 2/3 before. more snacks, same calories :twisted:
i also now turn over after 20 minutes as i prefer tan bottoms instead of brown.

i like the flat rolls so much, i no longer make chips 8)
i just toast for a crunch :thumb:
finally ordered a pound of yeast, should last me 3-5 years https://www.ebay.com/itm/124687480027

so now i cut off the hard edge around the bread/roll sheet. about 1/2 inch wide, and put it back in the oven for 2 hrs while it cools down. makes a nice crunchy snack, good for dips too 8)
i still get 24 small rolls, which are much easier to slice without that hard edge :bigthumb:

Back