Baserunner Z9 V4 does not detect Hall sensors

albanderv

1 µW
Hi everyone,

I have a brand new Grin Baserunner Z9 V4 for my second bike project that does not detect hall sensors during autonune (or in any other view). I'd like to be sure that I did not missed something obvious.

I'm replacing a V3 Baserunner, that unfortunaltely died (probably because of corrosion). So it is supposed to be a simple baserunner swap.

My system is composed of the following part:
  • Cycle analyst CA3
  • Baserunner Z9 V4 stand alone
  • Bafang G311_FST front hub motor (with the appropriate Z9 connector from Grin)
    • I also have a Shengyi SX1 for my winter bike
  • 3x Ligo batteries (36V)
  • A torque sensor ERider68_5B
  • For debug purposes: a throttle
Basically, I followed the same setup as in the user manual https://ebikes.ca/amfile/file/download/file/212/product/1321/

Yet, when I ran the autotune procedure for the first time (after importing the default parameters), it threw the "no hall sensors detected"error.
The motor can run when I use the throttle (and in the autotune procedure), but the speed readings are completly wrong in the CA3, and is not detecting in the phaserunner suite.

2023-03-08_21h00_07.png

The same thing happens with the Shengyi SX1, and I oppenned the G311, and everythings looks fine.
with the motor disconnected, read the following voltages:
2023-03-09_15h59_21.png
Those voltage stays the same wether I connect or disconnect the other connectors.

The 0V at the "Hall 5V" worries me, but I'm not sure if it is normal or not.

Any idea on how to solve this issues?
Thanks in advance

Attachments

• g311_phaserunner_V4.xml
    50.9 KB · Views: 0
Last edited:
Solution
I have a brand new Grin Baserunner Z9 V4 for my second bike project that does not detect hall sensors during autonune (or in any other view). I'd like to be sure that I did not missed something obvious.
<snip

The same thing happens with the Shengyi SX1, and I oppenned the G311, and everythings looks fine.
View attachment 331196
Those voltage stays the same wether I connect or disconnect the other connectors.

If there is no 5v provided by the controller to power the hall sensors, they will not operate, and so will not provide valid signals for the controller to detect. This 5v should always be provided...
> The 0V at the "Hall 5V" worries me

Yeah, that's weird. The controller is supposed to output 5V there to power the hall sensors in the motor, isn't it? And the hall lines from the controller shouldn't have anything on them since they are supposed to be on the motor side of the connector, not the controller side...

No, that's right.
I have 5V (4.6) at the CA3 throttle connector, but zero on the new connector.
The problem is that I don't know if I have to activate the Baserunner DCDC to have that 5V, or if there is a short with the CA3 that I have to physically remove/add.

2023-03-09_19h46_54.png

<snip

View attachment 331196

If there is no 5v provided by the controller to power the hall sensors, they will not operate, and so will not provide valid signals for the controller to detect. This 5v should always be provided, as it comes from the same source as the 5v pullup voltage on each of the signal lines (and the throttle input, etc).

So there is either something wrong in the cable from the controller to the point you measured at, or inside the controller itself. Cables and connectors are common fault locations, so taht's where I'd check first.

If you completely disconnect the controller from everything except battery power, and turn it on, you should get 5v at it's throttle 5v pin and the hall 5v pin. as well as at the three hall signal pins (and the speed signal pin). If you don't get 5v at all of them, then any pin it isn't found at has a problem, almost certainly in the cable from the controller PCB to the connector you're testing at.

Solution
Thank you amberwolf.
I tried it, and I do not have a 5V when only the Baserunner is plugged.

I will contact Grin for a RMA then.

Thank you all for your input

Back