Battery and motor choice / parts compatibiliy / advice for first ebike

blinkRed

1 µW
Hello everyone.

I am sad to ask the same questions that have been asked a thousand times but I am confused to say the least and if I don't ask I don't think I will figure it out on my own. There is a lot of technical info and long story short, I just want a working ebike for good value without getting ripped off by buying a retail ebike. Disclaimer aside, here's what I'd like in the bike:

I am in NYC and will be riding around the city in the streets mostly. not off road.

Speed: 30 MPH or if anything less is more realistic with my budget
Range: 25-30 Miles (would like to use throttle mostly) or if anything less is more realistic with my budget
Cost: ~$600 for motor kit + battery, if more is needed for better parts, I can spend some more.
Hill grade: according to https://nycc.org/rides/regional-hill-grades, the highest hill I might face is ~10% grade.

I am thinking of using:

leafbike kit: https://leafbike.com/products/diy-b...w-rear-wheel-electric-hub-motor-kit-1067.html . Would I need to replace anything? Is there a better option than this kit?

and lipo batteries to save costs. I know they aren't recommended for first timers but I don't think my budget can accommodate an em3ev battery. I can charge them in the backyard/garage as a safety measure. which battery and charger would you recommend? and what else would I need to maintain the batteries? anything I should know? any other cheap alternatives to get the range/speed I want? I really don't know much about putting batteries together. if you think lipo is alright for me, any direction to resources/threads will be very helpful!

Thank you for any help or direction! I hope you don't hate me too much for these common questions. I browsed through a lot of threads here and I wasn't getting much from them or they were a few years old hence this post.

I have the 1500w leaf running at 52v. Its brilliant. Absolutely love it.

I have an 14s5p battery using NCRs gets me 21 miles full charge to 40ish% if I hammer it everywhere. That's throttle only. I don't use PAS

Check out hire bike build to see kit list and cost (although UK based I imagine it'll be comparable).

Sent from my CLT-L09 using Tapatalk

blinkRed said:
I am thinking of using:

leafbike kit: https://leafbike.com/products/diy-b...w-rear-wheel-electric-hub-motor-kit-1067.html . Would I need to replace anything? Is there a better option than this kit?

Although the Leaf is a great motor, you won't have enough left for the most important purchase, which is the battery. With your budget, limited or otherwise, the battery is where most of your dollars should go.

When I put my bike together, it came in right around $650 or so. $395 for the 52V 20Ah battery, $144 for the cheap ebay 1000W MXUS kit, and $110 for an upgraded controller and display, and it would do everything you're looking for. I've upgraded the controller and display again since then, but the motor is still running strong, and I've run 92V and 3000W through it. Even though my battery uses cheap Chinese cells, it still directed 60% of my budget toward it, so appropriate given the rest of the budget components.

@Hickbeard. I will check out the post. I plan on using mostly throttle. Hearing everyone's experience always gets me more hyped about it! Thanks for sharing.

@E-HP glad to hear your build is still going strong! I will check out your breakdown post. I am a bit weary of ebay/aliexpress products because it's always a gamble but there seem to be a few vendors who are trusted here. I am willing to spend some more for better products. I can always save up a little more rather than buy early. I was hoping to use lipos to lower the costs but they seem a bit troublesome to get together.

Back