Battery enclosure help

mxer

1 kW
I need some help finding the right catch locking system for my lid,top battery enclosure.

I have no room for a key lock system as they will be in contact with the battery, so need an idea to fix this lid/top any idea's as I'm stuck, I was thinking of some army style catches on top of the lid but don't really fancy that?.

If you can have a look at the pictures and some options ideas would be great, thanks..

Not best pictures for explanation but I'm at work atm, will get some better pictures of the lid later.

Only thing I can think of cheap, is strap with a hinge on the top. Bottom of the strap has the hole for a padlock.
Keep the strap from sliding around, with Velcro on the frame, and the strap. Without unlocking, the Velcro prevents the strap from being slid down to get at the batts.

Two straps ought to do er. with the hinge welded to the straps.

If the frame was steel, then you could just weld the latches to the frame. Looks like alloy to me.

Yes the frame and lid is alloy. I did think about the idea of large Lipo straps but I need quick access to the compartment to connect disconnect battery terminals. And didn't like the idea of outside aesthetics as I'm trying to keep it clean.

I am hoping of some sort of push fit on and off inside the enclosure?. But haven't found anything yet that isn't too bulky which would foul my batteries.

I like the idea of a hinge at the bottom great stuff, and perhaps some sort of magnet for the top? Least it won't come flying off as it will at Least have an anchor at the hinge.

Thanks for your suggestions Dogman exactly what I'm looking for

Ignore the current fixings as that was something I quickly knocked up to see the results and give me some clues.

Perhaps I should go fo a more permanent fix and bring the battery terminals outside on top of the lid?

That's what I'd use (magnets).

I'm using magnets to hold the "chalkboards" on the back of my SB Cruiser trike's cargo area, and despite some pretty big bumps and washboard intersections I ride almost every day for my work commute, they've never come off. They can be knocked off if struck in the right way, but they don't fall off.

Mine are large ceramic magnets with steel "U" backings, but small neodymium ones like from dead harddrives or dead motors would work too; even those from old namebadges, if you prefer recycling to buying new. :)

Note the cargo strap is there only becuase if one of the 30lb bags slid it could still push the tailgate chalkboard off despite six magnets holding it in place. ;)
file.php

Now I'm a bit confused, you said you needed a lock, and now I see you have one.

all you need now is a hinge at the bottom, which can bolt on, though the nuts and bolt will show. Or maybe you already have a protrusion that slides into the frame bottom, attaching that end.

Epoxied on magnet catch a good idea for stopping any rattle.

Doesn't look to me like you needed much help from us on this. Nice work!

One last thing, if the battery plug is inside, it cant be used as an emergency cut off switch. Not clean and tidy, but all my bikes have always had the battery plug accessible, and able to grab it and stop a run away motor.

Never had a run away motor though, except on old brushed shit, but still like the idea of some kind of way to quickly disconnect.

Thanks guys, Dogman just fishing for more ideas, never thought of magnets or a hinge system so thread has done it's deed... (some magnetson Order, should be here today)

Unfortunately the locking key mechanism is 16mm in depth shortest I could get, between my batteries and undercover lid is around 10mm so not enough space for it...

Amberwolf, wow that's one hauler, thanks for the confirmation on the magnets, excellent stuff!!

Back