Advice Mounting Ego Battery on (dirt) Bike

harrymanimus

1 µW
Not quite an EBike, but I've mod-ed a Razor dirt bike to use Ego 56v batteries.

Any advice on good ways to mount the battery? Here are the factors I'm considering:
I've been using removable zip ties for testing it out.

Has plastic covers for internals when fully put together. Amazon Product

Could mount a bracket on front, or put it inside, or on the very back with support.

Inside, has cover issues, unless I can hinge that for easy access.
Front, it might get dirty, need some protection.
Back, not much room, need some protection.
Potential heat issues for all, but I think the battery has some smarts about heat, so maybe I shouldn't worry too much about that.

Also, I'll mention, might want to use two batteries in the future for longer run time. Not a priority atm.

Thanks

Attachments

• 20230828_103049.jpg
    20230828_103049.jpg
    2.3 MB · Views: 12
  • 20230828_103144.jpg
    20230828_103144.jpg
    2.5 MB · Views: 11
  • 20230828_103155.jpg
    20230828_103155.jpg
    2.5 MB · Views: 11
  • 20230828_103039.jpg
    20230828_103039.jpg
    2.6 MB · Views: 13
Thats what i call an e-bike :) Nice one..

What im planning to use to house my aftermarket controller for a bicycle is PVC pipe 68mm gutter down tube to be precise, heating it to pliable with a hot air gun is an easy knack to acquire and making a flat section is as simple as pressing a pliable split tube between 2 flat surfaces.

In your case thicker 4" underground drainage pipe may be more suitable. wedging open a just split length is the most challenging aspect, but once it starts to unfold it gets easier just be mindful not to over heat and scorch the pvc tube.

PVC cement, epoxy or simply superglue can be used to bond sheets/edges together to make thicker more substantial and complex structures. and insulating packing foam/bubblewrap can let you use your battery as a form to enclose around it with access clearance where needed. .

Inlay drilled and threaded steel strips or fasteners if required as you would in a fiber glass or carbon fiber. not required on my enclosure, but yours will need to be significantly more robust and stable.

Just an idea..

Thats what i call an e-bike :) Nice one..

What im planning to use to house my aftermarket controller for a bicycle is PVC pipe 68mm gutter down tube to be precise, heating it to pliable with a hot air gun is an easy knack to acquire and making a flat section is as simple as pressing a pliable split tube between 2 flat surfaces.

In your case thicker 4" underground drainage pipe may be more suitable. wedging open a just split length is the most challenging aspect, but once it starts to unfold it gets easier just be mindful not to over heat and scorch the pvc tube.

PVC cement, epoxy or simply superglue can be used to bond sheets/edges together to make thicker more substantial and complex structures. and insulating packing foam/bubblewrap can let you use your battery as a form to enclose around it with access clearance where needed. .

Inlay drilled and threaded steel strips or fasteners if required as you would in a fiber glass or carbon fiber. not required on my enclosure, but yours will need to be significantly more robust and stable.

Just an idea..
Wow, those are some cool ideas for materials! Thanks! Searching for "PVC pipe heat gun" turns up some helpful stuff. I'll have to think on what it would look like. Project Farm just did a bit on "Best Plastic Welder", might apply here, need to watch, just skimmed before.

Back