• Howdy! we're looking for donations to finish custom knowledgebase software for this forum. Please see our Funding drive thread

Battery for Ebikling 1200w rear hub

redruff

1 µW
Can someone recommend a good battery for the Ebikling 1200watt rear hub 26" kit?

It's a 30A controller. Not looking for anything crazy in the Amp hours, but something midrange.

Probably a good idea to refine your requirements a bit more beyond mid range. Tell us the use case for the ebike ie how far are you looking to go, how long, and terrain. As a general scoping, I use the following power thresholds.

350W = 15-16 MPH
500W = 18-20 MPH
750W = 25-27 MPH
1000W = 28-30MPH

So, if your commute/use case is 10 miles and you want to complete this in around 20 minutes then you will probably need to go at 1000W and around 30MPH. This will mean you need a 333wH battery for the trip and that is one way. So, round trip is 666wH and of course you do not run a battery from full to empty. You would want about a 25% buffer so about a 835wH battery.

Then you gotta check the cell quality and max continuous amps. To me you want the best you can get so the 1000W load has a wide breadth from the max continuous amps. Of course, all of this is base on budget and you try to do the best you can.

I have an ebikeling hub kit (1.5kw), mostly ridden at 12mph limit with some pedaling, and find 65 cells (about 650wh) good for accelerating through intersections, going up easy hills, and several hours range (a little longer than I want to sit on a bike seat). Is this what you mean by midrange?
You can find a battery and charger on Amazon with 104 Chinese cells for about $350, but actually probably pretty close in capacity to my homemade recycled 65 LG cell version ($150), or even a new 39 Panasonic cell version from a good ebike shop ($600).

Back