BBS-FW: Open Source Firmware for BBSHD/BBS02 Controller

I'm presuming by 'voltage mode' you're referring to displayed voltage. This is easily checked, if you have a voltage display and it drops under load then no, it does not apply to displayed voltage.
So today I am on my usual commute to work on back roads, a couple of sections have you holding down the throttle at full for maybe 5 mins without pause. I noticed my battery percentage held at 71% for the whole 5 mins, I let off and after a few seconds it jumps down to 59%.

Anyone else noticed this or have this issue? It's not a big deal but I thought i'd ask the question.
The battery state of charge is usually detected by monitoring the battery voltage, this isn't ideal as the voltage sags significantly whilst under load which would show a falsely low soc.

"The method often used to get round this issue is for the firmware to only update the soc display when there is no significant load on the battery. This generally works pretty well and I guess this is how Daniel has coded his fw, but does give the effect you describe in your post - like you say it's not a big problem."

Previous user was talking about state of charge displayed in %, so I thought it might also apply to state of charge displayed in Voltage.

Suddenly developed Error 30 after tweaking the BBS-FW tool and accidentally turning on the battery without connecting the display.

Last edited:
Anyone else experienced jerky WOT behaviour with unloaded wheel in sport mode (motor slows down every 3 seconds)? Everything seems to be working fine in standard mode.

Anyone else experienced jerky WOT behaviour with unloaded wheel in sport mode (motor slows down every 3 seconds)? Everything seems to be working fine in standard mode.
Sounds like normal behaviour when an unloaded wheel hits a speed limit - try it out on the road and I think you'll find all is well...

Sounds like normal behaviour when an unloaded wheel hits a speed limit - try it out on the road and I think you'll find all is well
Was asking this since there wasn't anything like that with stock firmware (also limited to 40 km/h).

Another concern is 4 second long rattling sound when realising the throttle while riding (normally heard with the motor unloaded for shorter period of time (also heard in videos posted by other users)). Might be something unrelated or because of "Smoother power decrease when releasing throttle to avoid jerk from motor stopping abruptly".
The throttle acceleration response seems to be smoother though (no more snapping sound from the pawls in the hub and easier low speed performance).

Last edited:
The "calories" field is also usable on the DPC-18, any value can be sent to this field, currently it is showing voltage reading x100 in this firmware. Not sure if it is present on any other display. I'm using SW102 which doesn't have any usable field, so that is why the show temperature on walk mode was added...

Eggrider support/integration might happen someday, but I want to to get this completely stable before pursuing that.
Is it possible to send Wattage or current value to "calories" field since the DPC-18 doesn't show exact current value in Amps but only green bar which is hard to discern?

Probably will have no other choice but to get 850c display since T1 display isn't supported as far as I understand.

I have the bbshd with 52v firmware installed and I am using a 48v battery
I'm not quite sure on some of the factors of downgrading that firmware despite the instructions (some clarifications needed)

But, I am considering moving to this firmware anyway.
Is it okay / better / worse to just flash this over the 52v firmware version.

Would the bbs-fw show correct battery details if I install over the 52vf or do I need to downgrade stock 52 firmware to the stock 48 first?

It would be nicer if I can use this firmware and use both different battery options with it so I can change out the urban close and rural range battery options...48x15 and 52x20

Last edited:
Does this open source firmware work with Zeekpowa display?

I have the bbshd with 52v firmware installed and I am using a 48v battery
I'm not quite sure on some of the factors of downgrading that firmware despite the instructions (some clarifications needed)

But, I am considering moving to this firmware anyway.
Is it okay / better / worse to just flash this over the 52v firmware version.

Would the bbs-fw show correct battery details if I install over the 52vf or do I need to downgrade stock 52 firmware to the stock 48 first?

It would be nicer if I can use this firmware and use both different battery options with it so I can change out the urban close and rural range battery options...48x15 and 52x20
When you flash new firmware the old fw is overwritten and effectively deleted, so I think you'll find it makes no difference what the previous fw was.

With the o/s fw, a battery change (with different voltage) just requires a quick change in the configuration, no re-flashing required. I have found the battery soc display to be pretty accurate.

Last edited:
So I did the install, so far it seems to be working but my settings are not right.

I can't seem to get this sports mode working properly with standard being road legal and sport being for trails on the open source firmware.
I set the maximum speed to standard, and it tapers from 100% down to about 20% at pas1 And the sport mode is set basically the same but isn't it supposed it ignore the max speed limit setting?
Throttle both shoots it up to 28mph...
Also, I noticed yesterday the power in pedaling modes shoots up high at first, drops, then shoots up again then back down a bit to the approx setting..

So I did the install, so far it seems to be working but my settings are not right.

I can't seem to get this sports mode working properly with standard being road legal and sport being for trails on the open source firmware.
I set the maximum speed to standard, and it tapers from 100% down to about 20% at pas1 And the sport mode is set basically the same but isn't it supposed it ignore the max speed limit setting?
Throttle both shoots it up to 28mph...
Also, I noticed yesterday the power in pedaling modes shoots up high at first, drops, then shoots up again then back down a bit to the approx setting..
which display do you have/how many pas assist levels does your display have?

I'm using the sw105 with 9 pas standard, plus 9 sport
ok so i assume you mean sw102 because i could not find any sw105 display. so does your display support light switch ? like does it show some icon when you hold up or down button? also you should make some screenshot of your settings in the config tool and post here, then maybe we can see whats wrong

ok so i assume you mean sw102 because i could not find any sw105 display. so does your display support light switch ? like does it show some icon when you hold up or down button? also you should make some screenshot of your settings in the config tool and post here, then maybe we can see whats wrong
Yeah, it supports the light switch thats how I switch modes
What wasn't working is the speed limiter which when set to standard is supposed to limit only the normal mode.
I've given up trying to get that part to work.
I have it set now where there is a global speed limit of 30mph, and I just set the normal riding mode to be a smaller percentage of that, which in sport mode on a full charge is giving me about 28mph, and on normal, I can dial in 15mph more easily.
Not ideal but an easy work around that solves the problem.

If I can only dial in start up delay now and figure out why it's torqueing up then drops then torques up again.

A quick note. I built BBSHD firmware from current github source. After flashing I got 30H error and was not able to connect with config tools. Then I reflashed with the already built version (latest github release) and had no trouble. Tools immediately connected and no more error reported.

Is there any specific difference between the latest source and latest release?

Back