2 Power mode switching for semi-legal EU option. BBS02 / 850C

Cybernetica

100 µW
Hi.

I just recently did BBS02 750W conversion (850C display) and I am very happy with the performance. Recently due to popularity of super fast electric scooters going above 60KM/H local law enforcement has been giving more attention to legality of electric vehicles on the streets. Even though I'm trying to be responsible biker never going fast on sidewalks and bike properly fitted with safety equipment I simply cannot accept the fact that I can't sometimes use my motor over 25 km/h in traffic if I can easily pedal over that without an motor and it's even legal to do so until 50km/h in city traffic.

Then came the idea of somehow setting up 2 different profiles, one that allows riding over speed limits and one that does not. With these set up, just maybe I can talk my way out of a ticket.

Possible methods I've thought/found so far after searching for almost a day are:

*Lying about wheel size in display unit to simply show lower values on screen. - Not fan about this one, frocks up other stats, makes display more useless and probably wont fool decent inspection.
*Replacing my brand new 850C unit with Eggrider which has software support for 2 set of assist settings. - Exactly the feature i'm looking for, but is relatively expensive and the actual screen on the unit is way inferior to current one.
*Fairly complicated Arduino setup to change settings on the fly: https://endless-sphere.com/forums/viewtopic.php?t=94850 - Would end up costing about the same or more than Eggrider considering stuff needed and time required for building and mounting.
*Open source / custom firmware for BBS02 or 850C unit. - This idea I like the most. Editing motor or display firmware to allow for such feature. But this is where things get a bit complicated. 850C OpenSource firmware seems to be available only for TSDZ2 motor and not Bafang. Same goes for motor firmware with exception to ES user danielnilsson9 work done for BBSHD custom firmware seen here: https://endless-sphere.com/forums/viewtopic.php?f=28&t=102148 and here https://github.com/danielnilsson9/bbshd-fw
There is no information about BBS02 compatibility other than that the controllers should be nearly identical. I would be ready to test right after I get the programming cable and someone can help me find original firmware that I can revert back to in case things don't work out.

So my question is have I missed something here? Is there more interest around to collectively reach proper OpenSource support for BBSxx motors and Display units. Please let me know if you have any other ideas how to solve this. I'm willing to help how I can. I have development experience but so far mostly web so I don't know yet how useful can I be with firmwares.

Thank you!

Cybernetica said:
Even though I'm trying to be responsible biker never going fast on sidewalks and bike properly fitted with safety equipment I simply cannot accept the fact that I can't sometimes use my motor over 25 km/h in traffic if I can easily pedal over that without an motor and it's even legal to do so until 50km/h in city traffic.

So they can stop you for no reason? If you're going to lie to them anyway, can you just tell them the motor was off?

E-HP said:
So they can stop you for no reason?

Yes, they can stop you for routine checks.

If you're going to lie to them anyway, can you just tell them the motor was off?

An untaxed, unregistered, uninsured motorbike is still a motorbike regardless of whether the engine is on or off.

amigafan2003 said:
An untaxed, unregistered, uninsured motorbike is still a motorbike regardless of whether the engine is on or off.

So it sounds like he has to prove it's not a motorbike. What's the display have to do with that?

There have been cases of simple roadside inspections and even confiscations with intention of inspection.

My case is that if my motor has BBS01B 36V 250W sticker covering BBS02 750W motor information and I can easily switch to legal setting with undocumented button combination before handing off my bike there is little chance that most inspections would be able to push my bike over the legal limit to build the case.

Back