BBS02 turning off can speedometer be bypassed?

AF7JA

100 W
I have a BBS01 on my trike. The trike part is important because to make it work I had to extend the speedometer cable, to do that I soldered in a length of cat-5 that I had lying about.

At this point something has gone wring with e extension because the speedometer is not showing anything and the red light on the speedometer pick-up is not lighting up. I use my GPS for speed; as such this isn't an issue to me.

The PAS is still working and there are no other problems, bar one. About every 5 minutes the unit shuts off and I need to press the start button again.

Can the auto-off be turned off?

Edited to add:
I just ordered some stranded, three conductor, wire. I will re-run the line to the sensor and see if that resolves things.

More edits, Okay, more oddity. Last night I was riding and I saw an e21 error, which is the speedometer sensor, that was no surprise. Then later that night, I left my work meeting and the controller started working correctly, the speedometer worked fine.

When the wire gets here I will probably go ahead and follow through with replacing the cable between the sensor and the motor.

Just to follow up:
Problem:
I was having an E21 ( e 21 E-21 [for searches]) error. It was coupled with no speed display on the control head and the motor shutting off about every 20 minutes.

Other factors:
When first assembling the kit, I needed to place the speed sensor on the rear wheel of my trike; however, the cable in the kit was not long enough. To deal with this I cut into the speed sensor wire and used cat-5 (network), soldered in, to extend the wire. Cat 5 is solid core.
To add to this, I had forgotten to put the shrink tube on before I started. As such I wrapped all of the solder joints in electrical tape.
In all, it was a crummy job.

Resolution:
I ordered some, proper, three conductor, stranded cable to replace the cat 5. I removed the cat-5 and replaced it. I also remembered to put shrink tubing over all the joints.

Result:
No more error code and the speedometer is working fine again.

A classic example of, "do it right, or do it twice."

Back