BBSHD cuts power after driving in the rain

bigbug

1 µW
Hi all. This is my first post in this great forum.

I mounted a BBSHD on a Trek full suspension this spring and have over 700km on it so far. Great fun in the woods! This summer has been really dry in Norway, so no riding in the rain until last week. Last week it was pouring down when I was riding 10 minutes to work in the morning. I had no front fenders, so the BBSHD was exposed. The BBSHD worked well, but in the afternoon it started cutting power randomly. First only a few seconds off before on again, but in the end no power came through. No difference using PAS or throttle. The display was on all the time, but the watt indicator showed "0". After a while it showed error 08.

I have made a ESP32 microcontroller that stands in between the display and the controller (to be able to ride it "legally" on streets, while having an easy way of unleashing the power). This unit was not properly waterproofed, so I assumed the issue was that I fried the BBSHD controller by sending a high voltage into the TTL port of the microcontroller.

New controller from Luna was ordered and installed. My ESP32 device was now removed. All was well for a few days until it rained again yesterday. I rode it quite hard on the way home after it got soaked in the morning (motor slightly warm to the touch), and suddenly it started cutting power again.

Any advice to where my problem could be? Hall sensors? The motor runs really well when not cutting out, so i don't think it could be melted phases?

Check the throttle, water can get in there. It might be detecting an abnormal signal from the throttle and shutting down. Try disconnecting it and see if it works. Also water might have got into the display.

The motor itself seems pretty resilient to being wet, it's just the things that are connected to it that sometimes aren't.

Thanks for the tip. I disconnected both brake switches, and now it works! One of the switches never gave the brake icon on the display, but it appears as if it was able to shut down the motor anyway.. at least now I have a spare controller that can be upgraded to 45a 😁

bigbug said:
Hi all. This is my first post in this great forum.

I mounted a BBSHD on a Trek full suspension this spring and have over 700km on it so far. Great fun in the woods! This summer has been really dry in Norway, so no riding in the rain until last week. Last week it was pouring down when I was riding 10 minutes to work in the morning. I had no front fenders, so the BBSHD was exposed. The BBSHD worked well, but in the afternoon it started cutting power randomly. First only a few seconds off before on again, but in the end no power came through. No difference using PAS or throttle. The display was on all the time, but the watt indicator showed "0". After a while it showed error 08.

I have made a ESP32 microcontroller that stands in between the display and the controller (to be able to ride it "legally" on streets, while having an easy way of unleashing the power). This unit was not properly waterproofed, so I assumed the issue was that I fried the BBSHD controller by sending a high voltage into the TTL port of the microcontroller.

New controller from Luna was ordered and installed. My ESP32 device was now removed. All was well for a few days until it rained again yesterday. I rode it quite hard on the way home after it got soaked in the morning (motor slightly warm to the touch), and suddenly it started cutting power again.

Any advice to where my problem could be? Hall sensors? The motor runs really well when not cutting out, so i don't think it could be melted phases?

I would be curious to hear more about your ESP32 implementation. Care to share a schematic and some details on how you did this? I've been thinking about doing something similar :D

I've been using my bike every day all winter without problems. Then suddenly one morning I had no motor power and error 12. This happened the day after I ran through some water. I disassembled the BBSHD and left it to dry for a few days. Then it worked again. I'm now sure that water had entered the motor windings. I checked all seals, and they looked ok, but I discovered that one of the screw holes that mounts the locking ring is going directly into the motor. A screw will not make a fully water proof seal without a sealant. I sealed this hole with silicone and hope this will prevent further water ingress

Back