BBSHD Over Voltage Protection

someone_great

100 µW
I'm in the finishing stages of my first build. BBSHD, 52V battery. Bike worked perfectly during test ride when battery was 50% charged. Now that it's charged to 90% (58.8V according to EggRider) I'm getting error code 0x07 Over Voltage Protection. I've never heard about there being specific 48V and 52V versions of BBSHD but the Swedish reseller that sold it to me is now selling a 52V version and claiming that these systems are physically different. I asked him what the difference was and he said the difference is 4V 😂 That's the only thing he could say about the supposed difference between the two versions he's selling. So I don't think he really know's what he's talking about. At least I really hope so!

Has anyone ran into this with a 52V battery? Is there a fix? Can I flash the controller firmware or something along those lines?

It's a very common problem, usually when people upgrade to a new battery that's a different series number of cells (13s 48v up to 14s 52v or down the other way), which sometimes they do on purpose for more capacity or the touch more speed higher voltage may give, sometimes they do accidentally because the sales site for the battery didn't distinguish between the 13s and 14s and called them all 48v, etc. (the other reason is like yours, where you buy a battery and a system from a seller that doesn't know the difference or that there is a compatibility problem, or you buy them separately not knowing about the problem because sellers generally don't state that there is any difference between them, even if they know about it (which they probably don't).

There are some FW posts / threads regarding this issue and possible fixes, but there is no guarantee any particular FW will work with any particular version of Bafang hardware, because Bafang changes things without notice to anyone (including their dealers) that make things incompatible...so a wrong FW could brick your controller, and it's likely that the only way to find out it's wrong is to try it. :(

Even if it doesn't brick the controller, it may alter it's behavior or response to control inputs from the rider in other ways than just the voltage LVC/HVC; some of that has been documented in the threads, like this one

So...no guarantees, warranties express or implied, and not responsible for results good or bad. ;)

I'm in the finishing stages of my first build. BBSHD, 52V battery. Bike worked perfectly during test ride when battery was 50% charged. Now that it's charged to 90% (58.8V according to EggRider) I'm getting error code 0x07 Over Voltage Protection.
Odd. If the 90% reading and 58.8V are both from the EggRider, then then the display thinks a 100% fully charged 14S (58.8V) battery is at 90% charge. If it was designed for 13S, then 58.8V would be 108%, or at least pegged at 100%. What was the voltage displayed by the EggRider when it showed 50%? It would be interesting to see what the state of charge displays as if you can discharge your battery to 54.6V.

It's a very common problem, usually when people upgrade to a new battery that's a different series number of cells (13s 48v up to 14s 52v or down the other way), which sometimes they do on purpose for more capacity or the touch more speed higher voltage may give, sometimes they do accidentally because the sales site for the battery didn't distinguish between the 13s and 14s and called them all 48v, etc. (the other reason is like yours, where you buy a battery and a system from a seller that doesn't know the difference or that there is a compatibility problem, or you buy them separately not knowing about the problem because sellers generally don't state that there is any difference between them, even if they know about it (which they probably don't).

There are some FW posts / threads regarding this issue and possible fixes, but there is no guarantee any particular FW will work with any particular version of Bafang hardware, because Bafang changes things without notice to anyone (including their dealers) that make things incompatible...so a wrong FW could brick your controller, and it's likely that the only way to find out it's wrong is to try it. :(

Even if it doesn't brick the controller, it may alter it's behavior or response to control inputs from the rider in other ways than just the voltage LVC/HVC; some of that has been documented in the threads, like this one

So...no guarantees, warranties express or implied, and not responsible for results good or bad. ;)
Not the news I was hoping for but thanks a lot. I think I will just have to risk it and that thread you linked will be a great help.

Odd. If the 90% reading and 58.8V are both from the EggRider, then then the display thinks a 100% fully charged 14S (58.8V) battery is at 90% charge. If it was designed for 13S, then 58.8V would be 108%, or at least pegged at 100%. What was the voltage displayed by the EggRider when it showed 50%? It would be interesting to see what the state of charge displays as if you can discharge your battery to 54.6V.
The only reading that is from the EggRider is 58.8V. The % are completely off. Especilly since I calibrated it to 52V (I thought I was changing a setting) when it was charged to 90%.

The 50% reading was an estimate judging partly by the indicator lights on the battery itself. The 90% reading I got from using a charger with a setting that stops the battery charging past 90%.

The only reading that is from the EggRider is 58.8V. The % are completely off. Especilly since I calibrated it to 52V (I thought I was changing a setting) when it was charged to 90%.

The 50% reading was an estimate judging partly by the indicator lights on the battery itself. The 90% reading I got from using a charger with a setting that stops the battery charging past 90%.
What is the voltage at the output terminals of the battery when it is "90%" charged?

What is the voltage at the output terminals of the battery when it is "90%" charged?
I charged it with that charger again and measured with a multimeter directly on the battery. Resting is 48V, turned on it's 57.8V.

By "resting" do you mean at the controller-side connector, with the controller connected but turned off, and with the charger connected but turned off and not running? And then by "turned on" do you mean the same thing except charger turned on and running?

If you mean something else, could you define exactly what you mean? (it will help us figure out if there is a problem somewhere in battery, BMS, or charger))

By "resting" do you mean at the controller-side connector, with the controller connected but turned off, and with the charger connected but turned off and not running? And then by "turned on" do you mean the same thing except charger turned on and running?

If you mean something else, could you define exactly what you mean? (it will help us figure out if there is a problem somewhere in battery, BMS, or charger))
Sorry if I wasn't clear :) Both those latest measurements are directly from the underside of the battery. There are 5 slots that attach to the slider that's mounted to my frame. I measured on the left- and rightmost slots that are marked with + and - when the battery wasn't connected to anything. By resting I meant that the battery was turned off. The higher reading is with the battery turned on with it's own power button and 3 green lights are on indicating a capacity of 75-99% but still not connected to anything.

The battery is the 52V, 14S5P from em3ev and it was charged with their 58.8V charger that has the 90/100% switch turned to L. That setting is supposed to stop charging at 90%, 57.4V but as I said mine was 57.8V.

I should also add that when my battery is fresh off the charger I'm getting the over voltage protection but if I leave the battery connected to the motor and turned on, with the EggRider turned on as well, for about 1 hour, then after that I am able to use the accelerator and everything begins to function normally. For this reason I am reluctant to charge the battery to 100%. I am worried that the voltage won't drop enough on it's own and I won't be able to use the bike. Even though it's not working as intended now and I absolutely have to find a fix for this, I'm still very grateful that I can currently use my bike an hour after charging to 90%. I have ordered a Bafang USB cable which is currently being shipped to me.

I really appreciate everyone helping me troubleshoot this! If anything was unclear or you need any additional information please let me know, I'm more than happy to provide it.

If your actual battery voltage is 57.8V but your EggRider is reading 58.8V, then that's your problem. What do you mean by calibrating it to 52V?? I would start with doing a factory reset of the display to undo whatever you did to "calibrate" it.

If your actual battery voltage is 57.8V but your EggRider is reading 58.8V, then that's your problem. What do you mean by calibrating it to 52V?? I would start with doing a factory reset of the display to undo whatever you did to "calibrate" it.
When I first got the Over Voltage Protection I went in to the EggRider settings and found something called Voltage Calibration. I mistakenly thought this was a setting to let the system know I'm using a 52V battery and not a 48V. So I set it to 52V but it didn't fix the Over Voltage Protection and it turned out that Voltage Calibration should only be done when the battery is charged to 100%. It's just a way to let EggRider know when to display 100% battery level and to more accurately display remaining battery level.

My assumption is that the Over Voltage Protection occurs when the true voltage is actually too high and the motor senses this regardless of what EggRider is displaying. Am I wrong about that? Either way that's why I haven't bothered with the calibration anymore. It would require me to charge the battery to 100% but as I explained earlier I think that could lead to me not being able to use the bike at all.

This is getting stranger by the minute. I investigated a little further about what happens after the battery sits for an hour and it turns out the voltage is barely dropping. The actual voltage measured directly on the battery the same way as before is 57.7V but at this point the bike starts working normally.

Back