BBSHD Throttle not progressive, just on/off

jpacadd

100 mW
Build #1 for me July 2019, BBSHD stock in a 2009 Giant Trance, battery fits great BTW.

Throttle was always just on or off, I thought lame but ok if it is what it is, great enough. PAS works fine, progressively as it should, but throttle is all or none (stock bafang thumb throttle).

Rode it all summer like this, maybe 800 miles or so. But now that I hibernating and reading the forums and watching vids, I'm getting the idea that my throttle is in fact NOT working as intended, and should be progressive instead of all-or-none. Can someone confirm whether BBSHD is on/off only, or if it is throttleable but mine is not working properly?

I've tried searching, but as often is the case the search results include a million false results.

if you mean that:

--with the bike upside down wheels in the air
--you turn the throttle grip or move the throttle thumb tab slowly from "off" position until the motor starts
--the motor suddenly runs at full speed for the level you ahve selected on screen at that point
--further throttle movement in the same direction does not increase speed or change behavior at all

then it sounds like something in your settings is incorrect; i'd recommend looking thru the bbshd threads for throttle settings. can't remember the parameter numbers for it. might be in posts by tomaszj.

throttle should always engage the motor at it's lowest possible speed at first, somewhere not far past it's "off" position, then as you rotate the throttel further in the same direction it should gradually increase that speed to the max you've set for each level on the display, if they are settable separately.

afaik, pas for that system *is* on/off, as you describe, and either gives the full amount for the chosen level whenever pedalling (regardless of pedalling speed), or no assist at all when not pedalling at all.

additionally, some of the bbsxx systems have firmware that does not allow throttle to override pas, so if you are pedaling at all, then throttle deosn't do anything. what should happen and did with other firmware, is if pedalling at a lower pas level, throttle would override that to whatever level throtle is setup for, but gradually based on throttle rotation position.

Thank you for the reply. You are basically correct in your 4 initial points, except I haven't tried it upside down, but instead going by the W meter on the display, throttle works like an on/off switch, while PAS works fine, and they don't affect each other in my usage case.

You mention settings, so I'll give a bit of history detail. Bought the kit and 52V battery both of ebay, separate sellers. Upon test it would not run, showing error code that turned out to be over-volt (~59V charge cutoff). Some www exploration I found out many new BBSHD's had firmware not compatible with 52V nom. Back then I was able to find a thread(s) teaching how to download other firmware to fix this, which did work. So a) I'm not on stock firmware, slightly confusing issues. In parallel I also found a thread comparing a bunch of riders' settings, and IIRC I used about 90+% of "karl's special sauce" or something like that. So I'm not sure, could be firmware or settings, as I messed with both. I just ordered a cable to go into settings again (previous cable was borrowed).

In any case thank you for confirming that the throttle on BBSHD is in fact able to be variable (not just full or off), and so I can be confident I'm likely not wasting time digging into why. I'll have to find that settings thread again and poke around in there once my cable arrives.

Jay

Funny, I searched for Karl's special sauce (was formerly searching for throttle not variable or similar phrases) and I easily found all the threads I was looking for ha.

Try using the throttle when not peddling. There is a problem when you use throttle while peddling where it goes immediately to full. But it works correctly when your crank isn't moving.

Volt_Ampere said:
Try using the throttle when not peddling. There is a problem when you use throttle while peddling where it goes immediately to full. But it works correctly when your crank isn't moving.

My KT controller works exactly that way. Throttle by itself is fine, and PAS by itself is fine. Apply even a little throttle with PAS activated and it acts like full throttle. Maybe Bafang shares the same logic.

Another funny thing, bike up on the hook went to cycle the rear wheel and it is throttling, not just on-off. I have no idea yet why when I was trying it while riding it was on-off but now on the hook it is throttling. Only difference I can think of is this was on speed 1 of 0-5, whereas previous tests were while riding and I think on setting 5. It's a mystery for now.

Well I'm just glad it's throttling now!

Does it suppose to happen even with cadence sensor disabled in the Speeed app?

Back