Best Mid-drive Motors in 2021

Seems more of a preview was posted on EBR including an actual photo:

https://electricbikereview.com/forums/threads/new-motor-made-in-canada-2022-mid-drive-system.47411/

motorbw-jpg.114751

Bullfrog said:
Just a suggestion, design and offer a separate motor that will mount similarly to the BBSHD as well as the one you have...that will should cover just about every bike frame made today.

Unfortunately, not every bike frame will ever be compatible with this type of drive system. 157mm is the narrowest you can pull off with a dual-drive system (due to two chainlines clearing bike wheels+tires). We're using 197mm since we typically build fatbikes.

the BBSHD and BBS02 already exist, no need to reinvent the retrofit motor. Yes, these motors aren't perfect, and are designed around a fixed set of constraints which will always limit the capability of such a system. Retrofitting is inherently that way... It's better to just design and fabricate new frames.

Exciting! I have been thinking of making something like this for a while, so it is cool to see others are doing it! Left hand drive definitely addresses the problem of reliability on the pedal side of the drivetrain. FYI I have fit a "dual-drive" system on 135mm rear spacing, but it does limit tire width and required a lot of custom engineering along with probably a bit of luck with the dimensions on my frame.

I'm interested to see a list of frames that will work with it. I also want to see how the chain tension will work on full suspension frames.

Another product that is similar is the drive unit on the upcoming LMX56 although your unit is concentric to the bottom bracket.

Deafcat said:
Bullfrog said:
Just a suggestion, design and offer a separate motor that will mount similarly to the BBSHD as well as the one you have...that will should cover just about every bike frame made today.

Unfortunately, not every bike frame will ever be compatible with this type of drive system. 157mm is the narrowest you can pull off with a dual-drive system (due to two chainlines clearing bike wheels+tires). We're using 197mm since we typically build fatbikes.

the BBSHD and BBS02 already exist, no need to reinvent the retrofit motor. Yes, these motors aren't perfect, and are designed around a fixed set of constraints which will always limit the capability of such a system. Retrofitting is inherently that way... It's better to just design and fabricate new frames.

"the BBSHD and BBS02 already exist"....yes but so does the Bafang M600 series of motors and they mount the exact same way as your "new" motor.

So your market niche is fat bikes that can accept your motor?

Bullfrog, we're primarily looking to sell these motors on our own bikes, many of which are built on compatible frames. Selling motors for DIY is a bonus opportunity for adoption, which I'm expecting will lead to even more variety in applications :D

Deafcat said:
Bullfrog, we're primarily looking to sell these motors on our own bikes, many of which are built on compatible frames. Selling motors for DIY is a bonus opportunity for adoption, which I'm expecting will lead to even more variety in applications :D

I did not mean to come across as negative in any way. Having your own motor for the bikes you are offering is a great idea and if I ever get a bike that can accept your motor, I'd buy one :wink: .

Bullfrog said:
I did not mean to come across as negative in any way.

Hey not at all! I really appreciate your questions and feedback, it's been a really exciting past week here getting more community into the project.

Launch site for the product went live last night at 2200 hrs, check er out!

xd.biktrix.com

Cheers, and enjoy!! There will be lots more official news and media to come, going forward.

coaxial..JPG Screen grab from website - Looks suspiciously like a cyclone coaxial motor to me? By reading some of the other posts you have made a bunch of upgrades to it? torque sensing for one? and a custom controller of some sort? Or am I off the mark entirely?

LOL.. and there it is. Much ado abut nothing. Totally useless motor for most of us with existing bikes.

Deafcat said:

raylo32 said:
LOL.. and there it is. Much ado abut nothing. Totally useless motor for most of us with existing bikes.

Might turn into something, if it advances the state of the art. Hopefully they don't self-sabotage like Bionx.

If you want or need 2000W+ with 200Nm+ of torque, and excluding the high-power bikes like LMX, SEM or BoxxBike, pretty much your only option today was the Bafang Ultra with the Innotrace / Archon X1 controller.

This will add an extra choice, with the added benefit of the dual drive train which will remove the concern of wearing off the pedaling drivetrain with its gear changing system.

Once out and reviewed with the PAS option, we can evaluate all the pros and cons of each solution.
For now, it is always good to have more options :)

Chambers said:
coaxial..JPG Screen grab from website - Looks suspiciously like a cyclone coaxial motor to me? By reading some of the other posts you have made a bunch of upgrades to it? torque sensing for one? and a custom controller of some sort? Or am I off the mark entirely?

Sharp eye, friend! We started with those then replaced parts and output interface, changed the way the output end of spindle is supported, replaced the spindle entirely, then tackled the hall sensors.

More improvements/changes going forward.

Full disclosure: the stock coax motors are riddled with problems. I wouldn't really trust building a bike around one, without extensive knowledge/experience of correcting their issues. We've devoted a lot of engineering bandwidth to improving upon them, and very pleased with the outcome.

Deafcat said:
Chambers said:
Sharp eye, friend! We started with those then replaced parts and output interface, changed the way the output end of spindle is supported, replaced the spindle entirely, then tackled the hall sensors.
Nice job, there's no shame in starting with an imported motor and improving on it. Happy to see innovation from Canada, and Saskatchewan no less!
It looks like the mounting plates are machined (or laser cut) bits that could be replaced to fit other frames, have you looked into making it compatible with other mounting points?

Deafcat said:
Chambers said:

More improvements/changes going forward.

Full disclosure: the stock coax motors are riddled with problems. I wouldn't really trust building a bike around one, without extensive knowledge/experience of correcting their issues. We've devoted a lot of engineering bandwidth to improving upon them, and very pleased with the outcome.

OK interesting, Look forward to hearing more about your improvements - As you know I'm doing that exact thing 'building a bike around one' I think the Coax motor is a really good starting point and yes you're right in stock form it has some issues, I have a few ideas myself about some improvements.

Would be interesting to know the motor compares to the other Canadian motor
https://krankedbikes.com/products/hyperdrive-pre-order

Back