Best motor and drivetrain for large Cycletruck?

Small pitch chain isn't an advantage for large size chainrings; it is advantageous for large reduction ratios. I used #25 chain on my first e-bike to get a 1:12 reduction in a single stage (12t/144t sprockets). It would have been impracticable to use a 144t sprocket for regular 1/2" pitch chain.

Since you already have some reduction in the planetary gears of your motor, you don't have a strong need for such a large secondary reduction ratio. So you can do fine with regular bicycle sprockets.

ok I won't worrie about using a smaller chain.

It looks like the reason my chain keeps braking maybeluna's HD chainwheels square.jpg that the cassette has a warped sprocket. I don't see how to avoid that except to not shift the rear. And use a thicker sprocket there. It has to be only about 26-28t, but do they make such a thing? Only in single speed freewheels.

Then use the front chainwheels to shift for steep hills.

Hugh-Jassman said:
I don't see how to avoid that except to not shift the rear. And use a thicker sprocket there.

No, those things aren't necessary. Just don't shift while the motor is pulling. Modern cassettes can complete shifts under heavy load, but it's likely to damage them.

Back