Bicycle Speedometer

LewTwo

1 MW
My weight weenie is back up and running via a eBikeLing 36 Volt 500 watt front geared hub. What a nightmare. It took me the better part of six days to get it running. There is something like 17 parameters that control the system. The throttle runs through the PAS system. Their documentation is a total waste of time. I finally 'accidently' found the "1" that had to be a "0".

I have zero confidence in the accuracy of their software. So ... I want to get a simple, old school, wired, wheel magnet speedometer to check the distance and velocity. However those I have used in the past (a long time in the past) were NOT well known for their accuracy. I do not need or want 12 languages, pedal cadence, time, temperature, blueteeth or GPS. I want something cheap and simple but accurate.

Anyone have any recommendation for one that they have actually used ?

Thank thee :D

I would at least go wireless; don't need more wires. Lots of choices under $20.

https://www.amazon.com/dp/B088NNYBNX/ref=as_li_ss_tl?SubscriptionId=AKIAJO7E5OLQ67NVPFZA&ascsubtag=397910672-2-2023362962.1625105957&tag=shopperz_origin1-20

Of course, your phone and a decent speedometer app would work too.

E-HP said:

Not likely .... I have a old school flip-phone.
About the only thing I use it for is hanging up on robo-dialing telephone scammers.

You dont order pizza or food from Uber Eats or Skip the Dishes?
I know of one person that has an old flip phone, old school scraggely roofer but I am sure some old-timers buy them flip phones otherwise why would Best Buy keep selling them?

I have a cheap android that I used to use 500MB/month on, now the most I do is talk on it for 60 minutes yesterday which is rare, usually a quick 5 minute call.

Wireless is the way to go, you could probably find a cheap cycle computer in the online classifieds for $5.

LewTwo said:
E-HP said:

Not likely .... I have a old school flip-phone.
About the only thing I use it for is hanging up on robo-dialing telephone scammers.

markz said:
You don't order pizza or food from Uber Eats or Skip the Dishes?
I know of one person that has an old flip phone, old school scraggly roofer but I am sure some old-timers buy them flip phones otherwise why would Best Buy keep selling them?
Nope, I do not.

The reason is 'unlimited talk and text' for about $10/month.
Us old foke like to stretch our social insecurity as far as it will go. :)

I ordered this one from Amazon (supposed to be able to use it on two bikes).
https://www.amazon.com/dp/B08BHTVRBP
615rldR80NL._AC_SL1001_.jpg

I am curious what units they use to measure 'FAT' ... (maybe I am reading that wrong). :lol:

That might work. I was going to say you can get a cheap Bell brand wired speedo at walmart. Once you set the wheel diameter accurately, they will be very accurate.

I have had wireless speedo's not work on e bikes. I assume the motor interfered with the signal. This may be why a CA with a wheel sensor is wired.

Start with the standard setting for one mile, and then check against a known one mile distance. Then adjust the wheel diameter up or down if not spot on.

Or, measure the wheel along the top of the tire in metric. That length of one rotation of the tire is your number to put into the speedo.

dogman dan said:
Or, measure the wheel along the top of the tire in metric. That length of one rotation of the tire is your number to put into the speedo.
Did that when I was mounting the wheel in the fork: 2140 mm = 84.25 inches :wink:

LewTwo said:
markz said:
You don't order pizza or food from Uber Eats or Skip the Dishes?
I know of one person that has an old flip phone, old school scraggly roofer but I am sure some old-timers buy them flip phones otherwise why would Best Buy keep selling them?
Nope, I do not.

The reason is 'unlimited talk and text' for about $10/month.
Us old foke like to stretch our social insecurity as far as it will go. :)

I ordered this one from Amazon (supposed to be able to use it on two bikes).
https://www.amazon.com/dp/B08BHTVRBP
615rldR80NL._AC_SL1001_.jpg

I am curious what units they use to measure 'FAT' ... (maybe I am reading that wrong). :lol:

Some use flips and bar phones for privacy, to prevent the likes of google and apple (yes!) and all the app makers and data harvesters looking over our shoulders and recording every minute detail about us. Edward Snowden's NSA has nothing on google... governments needn't bother, just leverage what these companies are already doing. They try and often succeed. And people just accept it and give it up freely making it extremely difficult for people who are privacy conscious. They trade their privacy and mine for convenience. People are morons.
But flips and bar phones are starting to do the same now and are not safe any more. The only real fix for privacy is a big hammer.

BTW, even this site has a tracking payload. I hear something about move to Xenforo which is much worse for monitoring. It is a good platform if monetisation is the ultimate goal.

Anyway, you found your answer. It remains to be seen how long it lasts. There are still a few name brands for old school wired computers. The only one I can think of off the top of my head is Cateye.
Cateye... I am reminded how loud reed switches can be. I spent some time chasing what I thought was a bad hub bearing before I worked it out lol.

Back